Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've moved in this apartment building a year ago and paid my first and last months. I signed up to the automatic payment instead of writing cheques. That was my first mistake.

I'm moving out on July 1, so I was not supposed to pay anything on June 1 since I've already paid my last month. But they did they take the monthly rent, $900.

A few months ago, I gave them a 2-month notice, and signed the paper. Three weeks ago, the manager in the building asked me to sign the paper again since their Head Office did not receive it. But they assured me there would be no problem. But there was.

When I saw the money taken out, I immediately called the building manager who told me she would call the Head Office to arrange a refund. Later on, I called the Head Office to find out when I would receive this refund. She answered, "It's gonna take a while", which does not sound too good. I will call her on Monday. Do you guys have any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Keep copies of everything you signed, and notes of all your conversations with the rental company. Either though incompetence or intent they are not dealing with your directives in a timely fashion, and you may be chasing them for repayment for awhile.

Ask your bank what is invoived in putting a stop payment on the debits. Unfortunately it seems the banks have found another way to charge service fees for doing this, but it might be worthwhile to get the landlord's attention.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
And this is exactly why I do NOT sign away authority for ANYONE to have access to my bank account and take money as they wish. My concept is very simple. I will pay them. They will not take.

Every year, my LL is posting notices and sending out rhetoric to tenants trying to convince people to switch to this method. Don't fall for their rhetoric about convenience and the aleged "hassle" of writing cheques. Writing three sentences on a small piece of paper is hardly what I call a hassle since it means I retain full control over all withdrawals.

When you sign over access to your accounts, the onus is on YOU to chase after them for resolution if they screw up. I just don't like the uneasy feeling.

Remember, just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean that you should.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Never more of that. I learnt the lesson. Writing a cheque is no big deal, indeed.

Fortunately, and hopefully, they will mail me the cheque today. On Friday it was "It's gonna take a while", on Monday it's "The cheque is in the mail".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts