Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The official Dragons' Den thread

I am sure some of the fine folks of CMF enjoy the show - did anyone catch last night's episode? That guy selling that water to cure everything was hilarious, esp the way everyone reacted to him. LOL! Some of these people are obviously joking.

I loved the update with Kevin O selling those gloves on the shopping channel. He's all about making money, no doubt about that, and seems quite happy when involved in such things. Go figure. :D

Discuss. :)

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
I am sure some of the fine folks of CMF enjoy the show - did anyone catch last night's episode? That guy selling that water to cure everything was hilarious, esp the way everyone reacted to him. LOL! Some of these people are obviously joking.

I loved the update with Kevin O selling those gloves on the shopping channel. He's all about making money, no doubt about that, and seems quite happy when involved in such things. Go figure. :D

Discuss. :)
I love the show. But I don't watch it much these days what with this being summer and all. That episode you watched last night sounds like a rerun. It may not even be from the last season.

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
KO is one of the more renowned snake oil salesmen. But he is entertaining.

I like the Shark Tank where they take on other sharks.

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
KO is one of the more renowned snake oil salesmen. But he is entertaining.

I like the Shark Tank where they take on other sharks.
I'm glad I'm not the only one. I'll say one thing for KO though. He isn't afraid to try anything. If you are pitching for capital for a snake oil company, KO is sure to sample your products and make up his mind (on the product). It bugs me no end that KO parlays his media persona into successfully selling some rather middling funds.

It's a shame that Dragon's Den often descends into the 'KO and Friends' show. I, for one, would like to see more time given to Brett. Apparently, he asks sharp business questions which are typically edited out. Of course, this is TV we are talking about, so we can't expect too much.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting discussion!

Yeah Brett isn't really an alpha male like KO. Even Mr. Boston Pizza seems to be the man of few words. He is usually out of deals.

And yes, Shark Tank is pretty good too. Seems to be a little more serious than DD.

What always disappoints me are the people who really put on great, personable presentations for ideas that might go somewhere but all the dragons turn them down. But I guess that's why I'm not up there with those 5 lol.

Did anyone see this pitch? What was your opinion of it?

http://www.cbc.ca/dragonsden/pitches/trader-2.html

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Interesting discussion!

Yeah Brett isn't really an alpha male like KO. Even Mr. Boston Pizza seems to be the man of few words. He is usually out of deals.

And yes, Shark Tank is pretty good too. Seems to be a little more serious than DD.

What always disappoints me are the people who really put on great, personable presentations for ideas that might go somewhere but all the dragons turn them down. But I guess that's why I'm not up there with those 5 lol.

Did anyone see this pitch? What was your opinion of it?

http://www.cbc.ca/dragonsden/pitches/trader-2.html
Thankfully I have no opinion on it.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did anyone see it last night? Brett signed up for some kind of a deodorant spray thing for a 5% royalty on sales. Seems a bit fishy though. After kicking out that snake oil guy from before I thought they were surprisingly tolerant of this pitch.

http://www.cbc.ca/dragonsden/pitches/dr-mist.html

·
Banned
3 Posts
Did anyone see it last night? Brett signed up for some kind of a deodorant spray thing for a 5% royalty on sales. Seems a bit fishy though. After kicking out that snake oil guy from before I thought they were surprisingly tolerant of this pitch.

http://www.cbc.ca/dragonsden/pitches/dr-mist.html
I think the deal was contingent upon evidence of the stated revenue/sales. It may seem like snake-oil, but if it's bringing in the kind of money the claimed, it could be worth investing in.

It was a really strange pitch though...especially the interaction of the daughter.

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
This pitch aired last night. Did anyone see it?
Yea, it had no hope.
Such products and strategies are dime a dozen.
However, I feel the dragons were too harsh on him.
He was not a charismatic presenter, granted, but he would have been the same if he did have a great product.
Maybe some of this is playing to the media/audience, too, but they were just brutal to him.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gotta love those off the wall pitches.

Yeah I think the Dragons know they are celebrities and are providing entertainment. Kevin O dismissed somebody rather quickly yesterday saying something like "I'm out, bad idea, shame on you" all in the same breathe. Pretty funny. Even on the Lang and O'Leary exchange his comments can be pretty extreme, but definitely always entertaining. Last night he even said he would sue Arlene haha.

Someone speculated he may simply be an actor playing a part created by CBC. Not sure how true that is.

·
Registered
12,732 Posts
I have started to dislike Kevin's over-the-top persona on the L&O'LE. I don't know if he's trying to create a Donald Trump persona (his 'brand'), but he often says things that don't sound sincere just to shock Amanda/the audience. It might make good TV for occasional viewers, but it gets old if you watch him make outrageous/unintelligent comments nightly.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I have started to dislike Kevin's over-the-top persona on the L&O'LE. I don't know if he's trying to create a Donald Trump persona (his 'brand'), but he often says things that don't sound sincere just to shock Amanda/the audience. It might make good TV for occasional viewers, but it gets old if you watch him make outrageous/unintelligent comments nightly.
So have I. Last week when he was gone, I really enjoyed the guests in his place. I find that they gave personal opinions, but they also tried to back them up. Kevin seems to just shout out his opinions and gives no research or rationale to support them. It's getting old.

1 - 20 of 202 Posts