Canadian Money Forum banner

The official CMF coffee lounge -- make friends here!

166K views 928 replies 70 participants last post by  goldman 
#1 ·
Toronto.Gal suggested we should have a loosey-goosey coffee lounge where we could come and safely discuss all manner of nonsense, post a gripe, make some friends, kick up your feet and just chat with your fellow CMFer on a casual, friendly basis. If you're having a rough time at work or at home, are afraid of actually being banned in the "ban the user" thread or just want to hang out, this is your thread.

We can discuss pretty much anything as long as we keep things friendly among us. This isn't the place to fight with your fellow CMFer. It is intended as a friendly, fun place.

All are welcome, no matter when you signed up.

Spammers not allowed!

#9 ·
I thought that the entire "General Discussion" area was meant for just these sorts of conversations: anything goes. I wonder if the General Discussion area could just be renamed "Coffee Lounge" or "The Pub"?
Alright Brad, maybe after market hours you can order a drink. :D

This is an open discussion thread, meaning that you can write about any topic without having to create a thread......like dropping in for a chat so to speak.

TRM, would you like to be the moderator of this thread? :)

Echo, I don't watch a lot of tv and right now I'm missing DWTS, but I have replaced it with 'SYTYCD', those are the only reality shows I watch. The Canadian version is pretty good too btw.

Have to go, have a good day all.

#6 ·
Ah, I forgot about that! Coffee Lounge or Tea Room, then.

Now, you ought to know that in the grand hierarchy of Internet Sins, creating a "General Discussion" thread within a "General Discussion" area is actually several orders of magnitude worse than...quoting. ;)

#10 ·
my 2 crumbs:

Coffee Lounge or The Pub sound good to me.

Tea Room is too strait-laced. And i drink a lot of tea myself. Don't all coffee lounges serve tea ?

also it's a good suggestion, to rename the entire division. Maybe should keep a soupçon of general discussion, though. Maybe something like Coffee Lounge: General Discussion or Join the General Discussion in The Pub.

don't know about TRM as moderator, though. He's so strict. How about he campaigns for the position, & promises to lighten up, plus a couple other candidates, & then we vote.

do we have a young NDP candidate stepping forward ? remember, no need to speak french.

#20 ·
don't know about TRM as moderator, though. He's so strict. How about he campaigns for the position, & promises to lighten up, plus a couple other candidates, & then we vote.
TRM has my vote if he promises special tax credits for CMF posters between the ages of 25 and 55.

Not sure I like the idea of non-alcoholic beverages only though. That's far too limiting. Especially today, when Cancucks fans may want to drown out their sorrows.

#12 ·
Or we could split the General Discussion area into three sections:

The Pontificatorium (for those who wish to make pronouncements and show off their expertise)

The Degustatorium (for the Recipes to Trade by thread)

The Solarium (for those who want to lounge and chat idly in the sun).

#13 ·
Well so nice to drop into the coffee bar. I'll have a large cup straight black please. Hmm now where to sit and who to talk to????

Humble please tell us about the bird.
And of which Zylon, it is my belief that you have to have one, to flip it. Have you heard Foster the People's new song - Pumped up Kicks? My fav right now.

#14 ·
avatar is a print of kenojuak. She was one of the original cape dorset artists; her most famous print is the owl with the magnificent tail.

kenojuak is still alive, in her late 80s now, a greatly-honoured & greatly-loved canadian artist.

#15 ·
royal i take it all back, i just checked (didn't before, so very sorry) & you are the OP who started this thread.

maybe an associate youth moderator in addition to yourself, though ? Somebody posted that there seem to be an increasing number of young people joining this forum. So we need to listen to them ...

#16 ·
Everyone (except spammers) is welcome to post in this thread. No moderation needed. At least I don't think so?? All of us here are just goofing around. No need to take anything back. We're all friends hanging out and enjoying each other's company here, rules are at a minimum. It was really TO's idea (and a good one at that).

It's just a place for all of us to chill. :)

#27 ·
even mode will be happy, over there in his teutonic stronghold (hey mode you growing them Valkyrie horns yet ?)
I'll take advantage of the quoting liberties but I'm not sure what horns you're referring to? In spite of maybe poor perceptions Germany is probably the most forward thinking society there is, I am in awe. I've become a coffee snob though and I would quickly scoff at Timmies now. I'm avoiding the expresso-machiato-cappuccino latté-fratté craziness but I enjoy a quality cup of freshly ground caffeine. After 4 PM I hope I'm allowed to share a bottle of single malt Islay in this lounge (mix and ice strictly forbidden) or a case of German beer? No piña colladas for me thank you :p

Unfortunately I am missing out on hockey but being from the East coast I don't mind seeing the "Canucks" and their Swedish-American star lineup struggle. Bruins do have more Cdn players I believe? Go Sebastian Vettel!

#21 ·
I meant to ask TRM if he wanted to be the caffee manager/bartender [not moderator]. :D

As a lot of us have different schedules, let's all volunteer to run/serve our guests.

CC: I already said Piña Colada's may be served after 4 pm, so come back later.

What's the news/topic of the day, the budget? ;)

For Zylon, as requested.

For Kim and our other guests:

#24 · (Edited)
I am all for the Canucks winning but cheap head shots have to go. I don't want my son in hockey if he has that to look forward to. I think that move pushed the Bruins into a frenzy to play harder than they had before.

Love my hockey

Oh and this coffee is really good too, thanks Toronto. gal!

#26 ·
Howard is worried about the cougars? I'm much more worried about the grizzlies here.

Howard are there any cougars that would apply to you here? Under 1/2 your age plus 7, makes it okay =). So if you're fify (I don't know for sure), a cougar would have to be 86 to qualify.

Now these younger guys that are coming on here, I could technically be a cougar for any one under 25 :eek:

#28 ·
plugging he meant to say the 20-year-old gold diggers.

but really it's his rich 92-year-old papa they're after.

mode they are those mythic horned norse creatures usually seen today at the opera.

the bishop is invited to tea at the manor house.
lemon with your tea bishop asks lady thorncrestofcrestwellontrent, daintily.
no tea growls the bishop.
scotch and water bishop inquires milady.
no water growls bishop.

#29 ·
Humble - thanks... I was thinking that Howard was scared of those 80/90 year olds after his fortune =). If it's the 20 yr gold diggers he's worried about, doesn't that make him a Grizzly himself.

Hmmm... can a male be a gold digger too? Or that reserved for the females?

#31 ·
Cheers everybody, the bar is open now mode3sour. :cool:
]
Can I get a nice, cold glass of CANADIAN?

The only thing this country really has to offer, besides taxes and a high cost of living?

I think Canadian should be "a-buck-a-beer".

They're always advertising how it comes from Canada. And yet, its still over $6/pint!

#33 · (Edited)
the problem is it's 1 or 2 am for mode right now, so it's a long time to wait in a parched state for the bar to open.

maybe we could start serving him single malts straight at 9:30 am EST.

easy to remember because market opens, mode's drink gets poured. He might feel a bit lonely, though, tossing back his 16-year lagavulin or macallan while the rest of us are still on coffee.

here's my favourite toast. It's a highland scottish toast. Traditionally raised after a battle in which all the rival clan were slain.

hair's tae us.
wha's lich us.
damn few
an they're all daid.

#37 ·
easy to remember because market opens, mode's drink gets poured. He might feel a bit lonely, though, tossing back his 16-year lagavulin or macallan while the rest of us are still on coffee.
Ok humble, you either have some kind of investigative acumen, or I need to start watching my back more? I don't keep any money under the mattress fyi, and I'm a marksman shot

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.