Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
I think.the investor’s chief problem — and even his worst enemy — is likely to be himself.Our emotions are the biggest enemy of successful investing. We chase investments that have run up in value and dump our holdings at market bottoms. This destructive behaviour costs us dearly.So lot of thanks for this great topic.

·
Registered
126 Posts
enemies are 1) talking heads/media/msg boards pumping up the latest and greatest glamour/'lottery ticket' stocks 2) blindly following others ("analysts") advice on the hottest 'stock tip'

Theres more but i'm lacking that extra hour of sleep

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
I agree with shaheen it all comes down to you. You are ultimately the one who has to decide to put up the money, so you are the one who takes the loss. Take full responsibility for every action you take without a gun to your head and you will take the first step to being a better investor.

·
Registered
67 Posts
is this the same guy who wrote in MDJ's blog? If it is i asked him about what was his track record, what stocks is he picking etc. i guess he didn't like that, if you ask me - it all seemed a little pedantic.

I think there is something to be said about reading analyst views and expert opinions. These people do this for a living after all. That said at some point one has to make one's own decisions. Nouriel Roubini, the so called dr. doom was/is still predicting a double dip recession and whose claim to fame is predicting the 2008 crash. But if i were to believe in him, i'd still be sitting on the sidelines.

I agree with Shaheen and dogcom that it all comes down to you. For that reason, I find the emotions behind investing to be such an interesting topic...being aware of the emotional highs and lows and the irrational exuberance/pessimism that investors show can really help you make more rational decisions when it comes to investing.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
there is a great deal to be said for reading analysts' views & expert opinions. The operative word here is "reading." It means reading, checking out, taking note of, considering, weighing, learning about, balancing against an opposing viewpoint. It doesn't mean believing at first glance.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yup! The investor's own worse enemy is in the mirror!

I think it comes down to psychology and ego (difficult to cut losses, admit wrong, and walk away). It can be difficult sometimes to disassociate the emotion that comes into play with trading.

That being said, they say women are better at investing in the market than men! ;) Though this is interesting as we're generally assumed to be the more emotional.

·
Registered
107 Posts
...That being said, they say women are better at investing in the market than men! ;) Though this is interesting as we're generally assumed to be the more emotional.
Not my Claire; she's pretty head strong when it comes to the topic of money. While I do most of the investing of our assets she's actively involved in following the portfolios, reading up on them in the news and providing opinions from a different perspective on new positions.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Not my Claire; she's pretty head strong when it comes to the topic of money. While I do most of the investing of our assets she's actively involved in following the portfolios, reading up on them in the news and providing opinions from a different perspective on new positions.
Awe- you two sound like a great team! ;) I'm the same way! =) Between me and my boyfriend, I would say I'm the one who is more aggressive and successful at investing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts