Canadian Money Forum banner
61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
I know you have great faith in a decentralized blockchain world, maybe it'll happen but I think it most likely won't. Guess we'll find out in 10 years or so.
It has nothing to do with my faith

I follow the developers and there's a huge shift into decentralized apps and blockchains. You mentioned alexa and google assistant.. maybe you don't know what Wolfram Alpha is or what they have been developing. The tech talent has already moved to the "decentralized world" so it doesn't really matter what you or I "believe"

I remember seeing high speed internet in a lab. Developers knew what they were building long before it rolled out and people started to "think" it would happen

Nobody has any idea what costs will be or how they'll be paid. Maybe some will be provided as a free connection service where you only pay your AR mechanic directly. You can speculate all you want, doesn't really do any good and I'm really just interested in the cool tech potentials.
Nothing is free. You can pay with your personal data and attention or you pay through an intermediary with a fee. You think you could pay the mechanic directly for free but don't realize what that implies. People definitely do have an idea what networks cost to operate.. very good ideas

Your ideas are way out there but there's lots of things being developed that are much closer to reality. You can even try the beta tests already.

·
Super Moderator
4,669 Posts
It has nothing to do with my faith

I follow the developers and there's a huge shift into decentralized apps and blockchains. You mentioned alexa and google assistant.. maybe you don't know what Wolfram Alpha is or what they have been developing. The tech talent has already moved to the "decentralized world" so it doesn't really matter what you or I "believe"
Well IMO it does have to do with faith. There is lots of tech talent around, no doubt some working in blockchain related stuff, others ... who knows. There will always be a number of Xerox PARCs around but which one (or many) hold the keys to the future is anyone's guess.

Your ideas are way out there but there's lots of things being developed that are much closer to reality. You can even try the beta tests already.
I have lots of ideas on possible future tech, some more grounded, others farther out. I've lived with computers nearly my whole life and seen a lot of things come and go all from the time before the first PC was released.

Back on topic ... I think one of the things that really holds things back right now (metaverse and related) is bandwidth and the price we pay for it.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Back on topic ... I think one of the things that really holds things back right now (metaverse and related) is bandwidth and the price we pay for it.
That could also really change in the next 5-10 years thanks to blockchains, 5G, smallsats, mesh networks. It's expensive to run fiber optic to every single house.

I know you hate blockchain because of oligopoly propaganda but that is one of my favourite applications for a P2P sharing economy. Basically if you have 1 terrestrial fiber or Starlink node you can setup a hotspot for a P2P mesh network. Imagine you could earn from your own WiFi and just pay microtransactions to others when you are out.

World Mobile just started to deploy in Africa and the concept is to bring better cheaper internet to everyone. People will pay in stablecoins and the network is processed with decentralized nodes. You can earn WMT by setting up an antenna or processing the network. I've reserved one of the first 1000 nodes and I'm trying to keep up with the developers.

The achilles heel I think is that is still needs to connect back to the oligopoly. In Canada they would lobby the CRTC and run a smear campaign and the masses would believe it

·
Super Moderator
4,669 Posts
That could also really change in the next 5-10 years thanks to blockchains, 5G, smallsats, mesh networks. It's expensive to run fiber optic to every single house.
It is getting a bit better but still the costs (in Canada for sure) are too high IMO. A lot of bandwidth isn't even tech bound, it's limited by the ISPs and heavily throttled at your connection point.

I know you hate blockchain because of oligopoly propaganda but that is one of my favourite applications for a P2P sharing economy.
So I hate blockchain because I don't agree with your view and/or have been swayed by propaganada ... Hmmm. Seriously m3s, why do you always get so defensive if someone doesn't 100% agree with you? Actually, don't answer that, I know, you've said sooooo many times before ... it'll be I'm too old, stupid, brainwashed, etc to understand.

BTW, I don't hate blockchain or related tech ... I look forward to seeing what it could do for me and we'll see if it pans out. And on that note, let's try to stay on topic ... for a change. :)

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
It is getting a bit better but still the costs (in Canada for sure) are too high IMO. A lot of bandwidth isn't even tech bound, it's limited by the ISPs and heavily throttled at your connection point.
Canada probably has the most expensive internet in the world. Maybe Starlink can shake that up a bit or at least help the remote communities

In the US I pay $45 USD/month for unlimited home/mobile data. This is unheard of in Canada but the young americans still complain. The local boomers have blocked many wireless tower upgrades because they saw some 5G conspiracy on Facebook (mostly wealthy white boomers US is very segregated in gated communities) The major US telecos have deals to avoid competing with each other

So it's much cheaper than Canada but Americans say it could be much better as well

So I hate blockchain because I don't agree with your view and/or have been swayed by propaganada ... Hmmm. Seriously m3s, why do you always get so defensive if someone doesn't 100% agree with you?
I actually like when people don't agree with me. It lets me see if I'm missing something from the other side. I want to understand the counter argument.

I get frustrated when people repeat very poor counter arguments without actually wanting to learn or listen to anything. It isn't necessarily directed at you. To be honest nobody here has really scratched the surface. There are some good counter arguments out there but not much here. Things are changing so fast if you aren't following along most arguments are from years ago lol

Facebook renamed itself meta and is developing blockchain wallets after their own crypto failed. This is not a coincidence. What do you think Facebook is copying?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Outerwear Vision care Sunglasses Eyewear Font

This movie is ancient but a lot of interesting themes. A bit distopyian but a good watch nonetheless.

·
Registered
17,695 Posts
The Matrix trilogy story is a lot more complicated than I realized. This is a link to a detailed explanation of it all.

The bottom portion of the article goes into depth about the movie story. I am interested to watch it again in a new context.

·
Registered
17,695 Posts
Walmart is jumping into the Metaverse business in a big way. They filed a bunch of trademarks related to their Metaverse venture.

They have partnered with Roblox to create a metaverse called Nikeland and will sell NFT merchandise that is real and also can be worn in the metaverse.

Other retailers are jumping in as well, as they see the possible connection between selling their real merchandise and tying it a digital world.

Paypal also recently announced they are creating their own digital tokens.

As I expected businesses are moving ahead with their own proprietary tokens, NFTs, and blockchains.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts