Canadian Money Forum banner
41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
This is an interesting topic and someone may have mentioned what I am about to say. I recently saw an article saying that facebook's name change to meta was a diversion for people to focus on the "metaverse" instead of facebook's privacy and social media usage issues. in a way I think it may be working as some sites I visit and even youtubers are talking about "how to invest into metaverse stocks" which i think is interesting.

I have personally tried out VR with a PS4 but I am not sure how big the whole "Metaverse" can get. It seems a bit like a fad but as an investor I will watch and see what happens. There are plenty of things that are profitable that I really do not care too much for.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
web3 and blockchain tech are far more interesting than metaverse

I've already been to VR music festivals, events and celebrations. Lots of potential but it still feels like the myspace days. I don't know who will host the most popular metaverse but one thing is certain is it won't be anything to do with facebook. Zucky changed their name because he is threatened by it

Even payment rails are more interesting but fragmented by country. Various countries are just starting to realize QR based payments are far cheaper than Visa/MC merchant fees. It will only take a rewards system better than Visa/MC to benefit both side to cut out that intermediary

If omicron and other variants take off that could be big for metaverse though. Think virtual meetings, conferences, parties, concerts, events etc etc

·
Registered
63 Posts
This is a question of definition i guess but i think of web3 as basically synonymous with metaverse. in my mind web2 is social media as we know it today -- clickfarms where users buy dopamine hits with their time and attention, and the data is owned and monetized by the farm for the benefit of its shareholders. most of the chatter around metaverse today seems to be about blockchain games, where digital property can be taken off platform and bought and sold or lent, but it doesnt take much imagination to think that there will be far more impactful and wide reaching implementations of the idea of data being owned by users and creators instead of the clickfarms and their shareholders.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I don't get the Metaverse, what's new? Second Life and IMVU already exist since early 2000s and people are already paying for stuff in those games.

Reactions: londoncalling

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
I don't get the Metaverse, what's new? Second Life and IMVU already exist since early 2000s and people are already paying for stuff in those games.
In 2000 the vast majority didn't get web2 either. The majority on here didn't get how facebook or google would make money off free services. The same majority don't get web3 the same as the vast majority never understand new things when they are being developed.

In web2 there are now a few large companies that control and monetize all the data. Most people underestimated the value and scale of that data. In web2 people share ideas, information, memes, music, video and games for likes in exchange for ads and data harvesting.

The concept of web3 is to decentralize the control and monetization of digital data. You basically have a sharing economy with peer to peer microtransactions without the centralized intermediaries profiting off your digital content. This can also expand to physical goods and services as well

You don't get it because it doesn't exist yet. It's a concept that many people with a vision are collaborating to create. I have come to realize that a majority of people do not really understand concepts and visions. They just drone along thinking everything happens by chance and magic

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I mean, I don't get "metaverse". What is included in the definition/concept of the word "metaverse"?

My limited understanding is that it's a virtual universe, right?

So what is the difference between the virtual universe of the "metaverse" against the already existing virtual universes from games like Second Life and IMVU? Other than the "metaverse" uses VR goggles?

Is it that the "metaverse" implies any platform of immersive virtual reality (using VR goggles)?

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
The concept of web3 is to decentralize the control and monetization of digital data.
What's the relationship between web3 and metaverse?

·
Registered
17,695 Posts
What is old is new again..........but it doesn't make it either valuable or durable.

Decentralization would create a network with gaping security holes. It would be a hacker's wet dream.

Every individual computer on the network would be an open invitation to hackers into the entire network.

·
Super Moderator
4,669 Posts
I mean, I don't get "metaverse". What is included in the definition/concept of the word "metaverse"?

My limited understanding is that it's a virtual universe, right?

So what is the difference between the virtual universe of the "metaverse" against the already existing virtual universes from games like Second Life and IMVU? Other than the "metaverse" uses VR goggles?

Is it that the "metaverse" implies any platform of immersive virtual reality (using VR goggles)?
It's tough to describe and metaverse will likely change over time based on marketing.

Probably best to use common movies to describe it.
Full immersion metaverse -> matrix, tron
Partial immersion metaverse -> Ready player one, Free Guy

What we do now is very, very basic metaverse interaction ... just scratching the surface.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
@MrBlackhill Gave example of the metaverse without web3

This is the exact same as Larry King saying to Bill Gates that he doesn't get the internet in the early 1990s because we have radio and telephone

YouTube looks the same as cable TV on the surface. Most people will never "get" blockchains, TCP/IP or electromagnetic waves. saggy brains will say the horse is better than the car because he heard someone robbed a bank and hit a pedestrian. They can't imagine how cars will work because they can't imagine traffic lights, crosswalks or police cars yet

Same thing with EVs. People use current limitations and fail to imagine that society is already adapting slowly over time

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Decentralization would create a network with gaping security holes. It would be a hacker's wet dream.

Every individual computer on the network would be an open invitation to hackers into the entire network.
Of course you don't understand the very first concept of decentralization. The whole point is that hacking a single node does nothing. Literally the whole point sags

These kinds of people will come up with a million reasons why something they have less than zero knowledge of cannot work. It doesn't matter if you explain the same very basic thing to them 10 different simple ways 10 days in a row.

They just don't like change and don't want to learn anything about it because they can't possibly be that dumb. They sent their kids to horse farrier school as the automobile took off or something and now they have to justify it to themselves instead of learning how to drive a car

There are luddites who will actively resist new technology by principle but the majority will blindly follow the herd and wonder why they never get ahead

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
This is the exact same as Larry King saying to Bill Gates that he doesn't get the internet in the early 1990s because we have radio and telephone
Yes but if you explain me that the internet will allow people to access to information using their computers instead of waiting for the newspaper, I can understand that's better than a newspaper. And if you explain me that I can download audios and videos on the internet whenever I want instead of actively listening to the radio because I don't want to miss something, I can understand that's better than radio. And if you explain me that in the future I could have a live video with my friends due to internet, I can understand that's better than the telephone.

Now explain me what does the metaverse will allow in the future? And what does the metaverse has to do with web3?

I'm not a tech, but I'm an engineer and I'm in my 30s, I can certainly understand the vision of the metaverse if it's explained properly to me. Other than creating a virtual world to escape from the real world (which is in its roots the same concept as Second Life and IMVU).

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Yes but if you explain me that the internet will allow people to access to information using their computers instead of waiting for the newspaper, I can understand that's better than a newspaper. And if you explain me that I can download audios and videos on the internet whenever I want instead of actively listening to the radio because I don't want to miss something, I can understand that's better than radio. And if you explain me that in the future I could have a live video with my friends due to internet, I can understand that's better than the telephone.
Well it's rather obvious in hindsight isn't it? In the '90s it was not so obvious.

In the '90s people would look at the internet and say what is the point when I could talk to someone on the phone or listen to the radio. Most people have a hard time seeing the potential and nobody knows what that potential is until it is here. I have seen this play out with both the internet and smartphones.

Now explain me what does the metaverse will allow in the future? And what does the metaverse has to do with web3?

I'm not a tech, but I'm an engineer and I'm in my 30s, I can certainly understand the vision of the metaverse if it's explained properly to me. Other than creating a virtual world to escape from the real world (which is in its roots the same concept as Second Life and IMVU).
Now using the internet example you should understand that nobody knows what the metaverse will allow in the future or how it will be used because it is still being developed like the internet was in the '90s

I can repeat some examples again such as live music festivals, concerts and virtual celebrations/get togethers. I was a very early user of the internet and it reminds me of that. Lame today but there is a lot of potential and excitement

I can't "explain properly" to you on here. I give some crumbs to gauge understanding. You are asking me to "explain properly" what Facebook and Google will create in the 2000s but it's still the 1990s and everyone is still building crappy geocities websites

web3 is where you use your blockchain wallet to connect to a metaverse, dApp or anything else instead of logging in to a centralized web2 server with your email. It lets you control your content and data and transfer/exchange p2p. Without web3 the metaverse is nothing new.

·
Super Moderator
4,669 Posts
Without web3 the metaverse is nothing new.
Quite the opposite IMO, metaverse will be run by those with data mining, bandwidth and power (e.g. The "Googles" of the day). Will blockchain tech play a small part of that, hard to say.

Honestly Metaverse, in todays tech, is nothing more than a slogan to be used. Sure, someone can create a avatar equivalent protocol of http that rides on the internet so people can "surf" using common interfaces (VR, glasses, etc) but will it make money on it's own? Maybe, might trend for a while.

I think on the short term horizon there could be a good focus on valued data and the ability to deploy/recall it in a meanful sense. One example area would be google assistant or alexa but ones that actually have intelligent interfaces. Imagine having your own (Ironman movie reference) Jarvis at your disposal.

Sitting on top of the above framework one could use augmented reality interfaces for a wide array of possibilities. Imagine walking out to your backyard, slip on the AR glasses and say "I want to build a deck here". Verbally assign some parameters (i.e. 10x10, cedar wood, etc) and you're seeing it in front of you. But can't we kind of do that now? Ya, a little bit. But now you say "I want to build it myself, give me a break down of materials, order them and walk me through constructing it as I do it". :)

Or say I'm working on my car, or a mechanic is ... using AR glasses all torque specs, removal and installation steps are visually layed out in your sight. Still don't understand something, a qualified tech could join your feed (at an additional cost of course) for further help in real time.

That's only one little area I see expanded use of the internet, there are many others.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Quite the opposite IMO, metaverse will be run by those with data mining, bandwidth and power (e.g. The "Googles" of the day). Will blockchain tech play a small part of that, hard to say.
Well that's what facebook wants since it named itself meta. Truth is facebook and google are outdated now that we have internet bandwidth and latency capable of things like cloud computing, decentralized storage and processing. Blockchain can enbale far more than a few big companies it's only getting started

Honestly Metaverse, in todays tech, is nothing more than a slogan to be used. Sure, someone can create a avatar equivalent protocol of http that rides on the internet so people can "surf" using common interfaces (VR, glasses, etc) but will it make money on it's own? Maybe, might trend for a while.
All new things seem to get overused as a slogan by marketers especially when people don't know what it is yet. If we go with the facebook and google model that means we have ads based on all the ever increasing data we give them. Dating, gaming, marketplaces are all big business in apps already so it's easy to imagine a lot of transactions going on imo

I think on the short term horizon there could be a good focus on valued data and the ability to deploy/recall it in a meanful sense. One example area would be google assistant or alexa but ones that actually have intelligent interfaces. Imagine having your own (Ironman movie reference) Jarvis at your disposal.
Wolfram alpha is already developing dApps. There's also singularityNet AI. Combine some crazy things like that together and give it 10 years or so. The problem with google assistant and alexa is they are free because you give your data. In a decntralized world you either pay microtransaction or earn by contributing with processing power

Sitting on top of the above framework one could use augmented reality interfaces for a wide array of possibilities. Imagine walking out to your backyard, slip on the AR glasses and say "I want to build a deck here". Verbally assign some parameters (i.e. 10x10, cedar wood, etc) and you're seeing it in front of you. But can't we kind of do that now? Ya, a little bit. But now you say "I want to build it myself, give me a break down of materials, order them and walk me through constructing it as I do it". :)

Or say I'm working on my car, or a mechanic is ... using AR glasses all torque specs, removal and installation steps are visually layed out in your sight. Still don't understand something, a qualified tech could join your feed (at an additional cost of course) for further help in real time.
That's an interesting idea. So would you rather pay the AR mechanic for his assistance with peer to peer microtipping tokens or do you want an intermediary like DoorDash where the centralized app makes more money than the restaurant and the driver combined for providing this cool tech?

·
Super Moderator
4,669 Posts
Wolfram alpha is already developing dApps. There's also singularityNet AI. Combine some crazy things like that together and give it 10 years or so. The problem with google assistant and alexa is they are free because you give your data. In a decntralized world you either pay microtransaction or earn by contributing with processing power
I know you have great faith in a decentralized blockchain world, maybe it'll happen but I think it most likely won't. Guess we'll find out in 10 years or so.

That's an interesting idea. So would you rather pay the AR mechanic for his assistance with peer to peer microtipping tokens or do you want an intermediary like DoorDash where the centralized app makes more money than the restaurant and the driver combined for providing this cool tech?
Nobody has any idea what costs will be or how they'll be paid. Maybe some will be provided as a free connection service where you only pay your AR mechanic directly. You can speculate all you want, doesn't really do any good and I'm really just interested in the cool tech potentials.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts