Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the opportunity today to listen to a feature on CBC radio while I was travelling. I believe the program is a weekly show called "The Cost of Living". The report anticipated that the Metaverse will have a larger impact on the global economy than the internet. It suggested that many of us will spend 8-16 hrs a day in the metaverse. Similar to the inception of the internet in the 90s we didn't really know the outcome of adoption but did expect it to change our world going forward. They interviewed two 12 year olds for their take on the metaverse. The two found it completely normal to have a a persona IRL as well as an avatar in which they identified as themselves where they would meet and collaborate with their peers both locally and around the world. For those that are currently familiar with Roblox and Minecraft it is easy to see how living in the metaverse will be commonplace for Gen Z who are already well on their way. Just as those that were using ICQ in the 90s were quick to adapt and be amazed by the ability to connect via video and voice globally the meta is expected to become an extension of our reality. If one thinks about how much has changed in the last 15 years (Internet of things, mass adoption of social media etc.) it's easy to see that the metaverse will have a significant change on society and as such the economy. I was unable to find the feature but will keep searching. I think companies like Facebook and Apple have enough capital to carry this through. I have always found these companies to be overvalued (look at their 10 year charts) but they continue to generate heaps of cash. I have felt the same way about other stocks in the past (RRs and held off on owning in turn missing out on great returns) but they continue to do well. Are we in a similar situation where Zuckerberg, Musk, Gates etc are the Rockefellers, Carnegies and Vanderbilts of today? I am not ready to hop on the bandwagon yet but would consider starting a position when the next correction comes. Some may say tech is approaching that territory now based on the recent downward trend but I am talking about overall market correction. I used the 2020 correction to load up on financials and currently hold next to nothing in the the tech space.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Strange Days
The Matrix
The Thirteenth Floor
Her
Ready Player One
Memories of the Alhambra
Second Life
IMVU

I'm 33, I've never owned a gaming console. I have no TV. I hate social medias. I think this metaverse will make the world an even sadder place. It will continue to increase the wealth gap. Our world is not enough, let's create a virtual world where possibilities an infinite. Because we can't enjoy genuine social interactions and relationships, because the beauty of the nature is not enough. Everybody wants to travel all around the world, but can't afford it, so, the solution? Metaverse.

Reactions: Buckwheat

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
Metaverse is just scratching the surface. Look up web3 and DeFi

Why do you think Facebook renamed itself meta? Somebody had the username metaverse on Instagram. Facebook took it from them. In web2 we provide free content and we are the product. Facebook and CMF own everything you post on their platform. Facebook knows times are changing.

In web3 you own your content. Guess what it all runs on blockchains and crypto wallets

·
Registered
195 Posts
Metaverse is just scratching the surface. Look up web3 and DeFi

Why do you think Facebook renamed itself meta? Somebody had the username metaverse on Instagram. Facebook took it from them. In web2 we provide free content and we are the product. Facebook and CMF own everything you post on their platform. Facebook knows times are changing.

In web3 you own your content. Guess what it all runs on blockchains and crypto wallets
Although I know this is the future especially for our younger generations, I want absolutely NO part of it. It's just so pathetic and sad.

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
Although I know this is the future especially for our younger generations, I want absolutely NO part of it. It's just so pathetic and sad.
Yea that's what everyone said about the internet and smartphones. I remember

You'll love DeFi and owning your content if you like finances

Why do you think a company bought this forum

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
I think the metaverse is super interesting.
And why wouldn't you want to spend your time there?

It's much better than the real world which is an absolute shythole. Gaming/metaverse is synonymous to alcohol. It's a drug and an escape.

It will be huge.

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
I have no idea what you mean by 'owning my content'.
You created some content on this forum that generates income for the company that owns and hosts it

Probably not a big deal for you because your 100 posts probably don't generate much ad revenue. However online content is big business today and content creators are learning that they can be "de-platformed" for any arbitrary reason with no warning and with no recourse. I gave you the example of the instagram username "metaverse" which was suddenly confiscated by the platform owner "meta" ie facebook

I have no idea what Roblox is but my colleague mentioned his kids will do more chores for $5 worth of Roblox than $10 USD. He also says they just want digital items. He was frustrated by this until he realized he would have bought them plastic junk from China that would clutter the house, get tripped on at 3am and eventually thrown in the trash. The younger generation seems to be more minimalist on that junk

Back in the day if you bought a record or video cassette you could always sell it later. Nowadays everything is digital but you can't sell/trade/gift your digital assets. web3 gives you self custody of your physical and digital assets, content and identities. Self custody of identity for example so that you don't have have to trust credit agencies and other central databases won't leak or sell it so you end up with identify theft

Not to mention self-custody of your money and DeFi that is far more capital efficient. Then you have DAOs, governance and voting

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
It's much better than the real world which is an absolute shythole. Gaming/metaverse is synonymous to alcohol. It's a drug and an escape.
That's the issue. Instead of fixing the issues with our society and enjoy living in the beautiful real world, let's ignore the problems and create an addictive virtual world to escape our responsibilities as a society, leading to even more issues, more depressions.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Some things (like the world [...]) cannot be fixed.
Sad. Then we should stop making kids and we should just let the humanity die once for all, because anyways the world cannot be fixed. Pretty cynical.

This is just one more reason to NOT make the metaverse. People are already sad enough, they don't need something making them even sadder about life, real-world life.

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
Sad. Then we should stop making kids and we should just let the humanity die once for all, because anyways the world cannot be fixed. Pretty cynical.

This is just one more reason to NOT make the metaverse. People are already sad enough, they don't need something making them even sadder about life, real-world life.
Even rat utopia can lead to a social breakdown

·
Administrator
5,292 Posts
Metaverse might be very cool but I think the reality of it (a good one) is far off. The problem is immersion, the weak computer to human interface. I'm sure some will take a crack at it despite this weakness. Now if someday they create a good digital neural interface then things will really take off and not only just for metaverses.

I think augmented reality, which requires integration (overlays) rather than true immersion would be a better first step.

·
Registered
24,333 Posts
Beware, everyone. All this sudden talk about the "metaverse" is really just marketing originating from Facebook. The company is trying to rebrand themselves as Meta, and one thing these companies do is kick-start a bunch of media coverage to further their interests.

That's why financial media outlets have been talking about it. This Metaverse stuff is pretty nonsensical and is best ignored. This topic is being driven by marketing and brand people.

Do yourself a favour and tune it out.

·
Registered
11,534 Posts
I have no idea what Roblox is but my colleague mentioned his kids will do more chores for $5 worth of Roblox than $10 USD.
They've failed as a parent!
My kid would just buy Robux with the $10.

He also says they just want digital items. He was frustrated by this until he realized he would have bought them plastic junk from China that would clutter the house, get tripped on at 3am and eventually thrown in the trash. The younger generation seems to be more minimalist on that junk
No, they're just playing with digital, so they want digital junk. My son was upset when we discouraged him from buying a $50 "pet"
Collecting digital junk instead of physical junk isn't minimalist.
You have no idea how many $$$ in fortnite skins my son has bought.

The metaverse is an interesting concept, but I honestly don't see the point. To me it just looks like another opportunity for clickbait & time wastage, like TikTok & Instagram, but I'm old.
Heck I even avoid Pinterest unless I'm looking for something. Infinity pools aren't good.(I'm referring to the digital infinity pools)

The digital ownership etc is more interesting, but it's not really metaverse, it will be one of the tools inside it. I'm sure many will love it, but I'm not sure it will provide a real benefit to quality of life.

That being said, I appreciate virtual communities, and I feel they're real communities. Maybe the metaverse will be the thing that really brings them to life. But if you look at current "Metaverses", ie facebook, Roblox, Fortnite (party royale), they're kind of lacking, and are really struggling with moderation, and control.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Metaverse might be very cool but I think the reality of it (a good one) is far off. The problem is immersion, the weak computer to human interface. I'm sure some will take a crack at it despite this weakness. Now if someday they create a good digital neural interface then things will really take off and not only just for metaverses.

I think augmented reality, which requires integration (overlays) rather than true immersion would be a better first step.
It will take sometime to get there and AR is likely an important step for mass adoption. To provide a comparison compare the 8 bit graphics to what gamers are using today or early CGI to today. It will be the best we've ever seen and that will be enough to peak people's curiosity.

To speak to the dystopian side of meta. The internet and social media can be a positive or negative experience based on where we go and what we consume. It's not any different than internet forums which have great threads and garbage threads. It's not any different than diet. We can seek good tasting healthy meals or we can seek out what appears to be tasty but in reality is unhealthy for us to indulge in.

J4B raises a valid in point in reminding us of FB's efforts to rebrand with the money they are putting towards promoting. However, other companies are dumping boatloads of cash on all these changes in tech M3S references and have been for a number of years.

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
As an official 'geezer', I too feel the world is heading in a sad direction...
I don't understand much (read: ANY) of this, but...as an investor, how would one invest now, to take advantage of this meta thingy? I do remember trying to explain Google, to some of my friends, centuries ago, when they never heard of it. AND, I remember shying away from Google's IPO, at the ridiculous launch price of $80US! "$80US.? That's CRAZY!" I said.
So.......What's today's Google??? Last night I "googled"🤪 these ETFs:BLOK, BLCN, LEGR.
Wonder where they'll be, in 5 years??

·
Administrator
5,292 Posts
It will take sometime to get there and AR is likely an important step for mass adoption. To provide a comparison compare the 8 bit graphics to what gamers are using today or early CGI to today. It will be the best we've ever seen and that will be enough to peak people's curiosity.
Funny you mention 8 bit graphics. A friend and I created an 8 bit wireframe graphic metaverse framework in the late 80's on Amigas. We both had a good laugh comparing what we did (really low res) to what was portrayed in the book Snowcrash that came out years later.

AR can definitely be a useful tool, I can see massive applications and money be made off AR for those with the data, bandwidth and a good user interface. Google home, Alexa, etc are just scratching the surface with their simple interfaces. Another AR type app, Pokemon Go made tons of cash and it's just a simple game. AR could easily become the first toe in the water for a Metaverse but we need large scale adoption of google glass or the likes to even begin to go there. 5G will help with this but we'll likely need more and faster networks to pull it off on a large scale.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
As an official 'geezer', I too feel the world is heading in a sad direction...
I don't understand much (read: ANY) of this, but...as an investor, how would one invest now, to take advantage of this meta thingy? I do remember trying to explain Google, to some of my friends, centuries ago, when they never heard of it. AND, I remember shying away from Google's IPO, at the ridiculous launch price of $80US! "$80US.? That's CRAZY!" I said.
So.......What's today's Google??? Last night I "googled"🤪 these ETFs:BLOK, BLCN, LEGR.
Wonder where they'll be, in 5 years??
They came out with 2 new Canada-listed Metaverse ETFs recently - MTAV and MESH. I guess one of those might do the trick, if one really wanted to invest in this area.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
They came out with 2 new Canada-listed Metaverse ETFs recently - MTAV and MESH. I guess one of those might do the trick, if one really wanted to invest in this area.
But if you look at their holdings, no big differentiators. It's basically all the same big tech names. The ETF name and "strategy" is just a branding.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.