Canadian Money Forum banner

41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Everything in the article seems to make some sense but the entire article presumes an ongoing risk from the virus. No mention of what would happen if a vaccine is found next month and we have all had our jab by next year. The picture being painted is a 'during the pandemic' picture, not an 'after the vaccine' picture.
If there is a vaccine, I’d be interested in hearing how it’s going to be rolled out. High risk first, then Lottery?
It may be the biggest logistical feat of all time.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Depends on what country discovers the vaccine, I would imagine.

Unless the vaccine is discovered in Canada, we will wait in line like everyone else.

I suspect that is why every country is pouring money into their own research.

Go Canada......

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
I'm still doing blood electrification 1 hour a day, still symptom free. Of course this is anecdotal and could be coincidence. However it makes me feel better at the cost of a 9 volt battery every 6 months or so, and does no harm so why not.

·
Registered
16,346 Posts
Emirates is a very well-run airline, and they recently reported their results and guidance.

They are saying it will be roughly 18 months before travel returns to normal. That's roughly November 2021.

Here domestically though, I plan to fly (direct flight only) in about one month, assuming the outbreak does not accelerate. I anticipate that I will have at least 3 flights this year within western Canada.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Just seating every second seat on a plane is a joke. A clear case of 'lip service' but with no real substance in terms of mitigating risk.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Nothing new to me, lived most of my life in crippling anxiety and generally isolated myself from people. Perhaps people's hygiene will greatly improve, I think that would be a great outcome from all of this. More and more will also hopefully learn financial responsibility, and living within their means.

I love cars. Hoping I can score a sweet vehicle soon, but will hold off and drive my "recession beaters" (consisting of 3-4 vehicles with a combined value of $5000) until the low hanging fruit (vehicles) deals are ripe for the picking 6+ months down the road. I'm also interested in post-Covid real estate. I bought a new house a year ago, I never could've seen this coming. Slowly working on getting it all nice/finished basement, garage, back yard etc. wondering what its going to look like over the next year...not good probably, but never know, Edmonton seems stable, as in, we've already been in recession forever it seems and prices seem to hold alright, at the very least because of inflation. They are saying the CAD could be 0.60 on the USD soon.

I definitely see big changes ahead just like post-911, and post-2008 market crash. US Election is not far off as well, nvm Covid. Seems like 2016 election wasn't long ago at all.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Yet another example of how airlines are not even staying with keeping middle seats empty.

If someone wants to buy a ticket, they will sell one, right up until the plane is completely full it seems.

Here is another on an Air Canada flight, also full.

But here is my question with that one. WHY was this woman flying at all? She is in medical equipment sales. There is no way that I would consider her flying as being essential. I spent most of my working life in sales that required me to travel but right now, I would recognize that travel was not a good idea at all and would not be doing any.

This woman thought Westjet leaving the middle seats open was good enough. Obviously, this woman is not the brightest bulb. She should have been questioning herself and why she was flying at all right now.

The future is definitely going to see more of this kind of stupidity from people.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
If someone wants to buy a ticket, they will sell one, right up until the plane is completely full it seems.

The future is definitely going to see more of this kind of stupidity from people.
Obviously.
I bet they're still "sorting by price" on their flights.

If they simply paid to fly in a mostly empty plane, they wouldn't have this problem.
of course flying mostly empty planes is expensive, and few want to buy those tickets.

I think now would be a good time to get into that fractional ownership thing.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
The planes recirculating system is more likely to spread the disease than cleaning your tray table. Injecting outside air has been curtailed to save money.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
The planes recirculating system is more likely to spread the disease than cleaning your tray table. Injecting outside air has been curtailed to save money.
Actually, that is not likely to be the case depending on the specific plane you are on kcowan. Most newer model planes have air circulation systems that include HEPA filtration.

The real issue is proximity to other people just as it is anywhere else. There is no way to maintain distancing on a plane unless you were to only seat about 1 seat in 9 in economy class and that ain't gonna happen.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Actually, that is not likely to be the case depending on the specific plane you are on kcowan. Most newer model planes have air circulation systems that include HEPA filtration.

The real issue is proximity to other people just as it is anywhere else. There is no way to maintain distancing on a plane unless you were to only seat about 1 seat in 9 in economy class and that ain't gonna happen.
It will if people pay for it.
But people won't pay for it, so it won't.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
It will if people pay for it.
But people won't pay for it, so it won't.
Won't or can't pay for it MrMatt. The future of travel will be very different unless or until we have a vaccine.

It is interesting how our minds work though. Here I sit, thinking about our spur of the moment trip to Switzerland last September to do some hiking. It was a good trip as we had every reason to expect since we have done the same kind of trip many times.

But now, I'm sitting here thinking, 'will that have been my last?' I'm also thinking that I am not happy that I cannot just decide to go again this month or next month. It's one of those 'we want what we can't have' type of things. Like telling kids, 'don't you dare put your hand in the cookie jar'.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Travel will definitely be different. We have no intention of getting on any flight unless we have too. What that means for us is will go to plans that we never got around to such as a big road trip or RV trip through parts of Canada and the US. Not our plans for Europe or Asia like we actually planned, but there is still lots to explore that is within driving distance.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Won't or can't pay for it MrMatt. The future of travel will be very different unless or until we have a vaccine.
Distinction without a difference. I believe most people would chose not to pay long before they were actually incapable of making the payment.
That's the whole point pricing elasticity.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Canadian researchers are joining the effort to develop a Chinese vaccine against the deadly coronavirus, with plans to begin human trials in Canada of a potential defence against COVID-19 that employs genetic technology from the National Research Council.
Depends on what country discovers the vaccine, I would imagine.

Unless the vaccine is discovered in Canada, we will wait in line like everyone else.

I suspect that is why every country is pouring money into their own research.

Go Canada......
published may 12th in the G&M.

Canadian researchers are joining the effort to develop a Chinese vaccine against the deadly coronavirus, with plans to begin human trials in Canada of a potential defence against COVID-19 that employs genetic technology from the National Research Council.
The trials will bring to Canadian soil Ad5-nCoV, a vaccine candidate under joint development by a Chinese company and the country’s military. Backed by a state that has urgently sought a vaccine of global importance, Ad5-nCoV has been among the most rapidly developed of numerous candidates around the world.
Now the NRC has struck an agreement to support its development in Canada by manufacturing doses that can be administered in human tests and for emergency pandemic use.
“We are going to get to evaluate it for safety and efficacy in Canada, as is being done already in China, and Canada will now be part of the front-runner story,” said Roman Szumski, vice-president of life sciences for the NRC.
If the tests succeed, the vaccine candidate could seek Health Canada’s approval for emergency use as early as this fall, Mr. Szumski said. It is already undergoing concurrent first- and second-phase human trials in China.

etc...[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
16,346 Posts
I don't think that's true. All newer planes have HEPA filters, and I'm not concerned about the circulated air.

What I am concerned about are people next to me who cough, spew particles by talking, or otherwise contaminate/infect me through close contact. Same goes for the airport in general, lineups, all the close seating.

I still plan to get on short, direct flights within the next month or two.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You're only saying that because you don't understand that the economy will collapse if we don't get things moving.
Then more people will die.

You might think you're somehow protected from the economic problems, but you're not.
I completely agree with you ! these are going to be tough times

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Distinction without a difference. I believe most people would chose not to pay long before they were actually incapable of making the payment.
That's the whole point pricing elasticity.
So what you are saying MrMatt is that most people are CHEAPSKATES. I don't disagree with that. I think 'cheap' has become a huge part of our current society's way of thinking about anything.

Look at retail anything and what we see is major retailers going out of business while 'cheap' stores like Costco and Walmart, etc. continue on with no difficulty. I can remember the days when people would not admit to shopping in 'bargain stores'. It had a stigma attached to it that basically said, 'you can't afford anything better.'

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
LTA........Costco and Walmart are a step up for us.

I primarily shop at Goodwill and Salvation Army Thrift shops.

My son used to thumb his nose at it, but met a girl who is thrifty and shops there and now he is buying all kinds of "brand name" clothes for next to nothing.

I go there because I like everything retro or unusual and they often have something unique.......like an old tin bread box in mint condition.

Most of our house is old stuff from there and every time I look at something I think it must have a story to tell.

For housewares, oil paintings, wooden shelving, home decor, quality dishes etc.........Goodwill and Sally Ann are the places to go.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
LTA........Costco and Walmart are a step up for us.

I primarily shop at Goodwill and Salvation Army Thrift shops.

My son used to thumb his nose at it, but met a girl who is thrifty and shops there and now he is buying all kinds of "brand name" clothes for next to nothing.

I go there because I like everything retro or unusual and they often have something unique.......like an old tin bread box in mint condition.

Most of our house is old stuff from there and every time I look at something I think it must have a story to tell.

For housewares, oil paintings, wooden shelving, home decor, quality dishes etc.........Goodwill and Sally Ann are the places to go.
Everything has its proponents sags. I was really commenting on our society in general and the emphasis placed on price rather than quality these days. People will allow themselves to be crammed on a plane like sardines in a can for example rather than pay a bit more to have more space and comfort.

Re Sally Ann, etc. I drop of items to them every now and then. I am in favour of re-using things where possible and realize that there are some people for whom they provide a need. I do have an instance in which I have shopped at a charity store.

When you travel over a longer term and to varying places which sees you be there in varying seasons, there is a problem with what you pack. Particularly if you will encounter colder weather. Packing a winter coat to use for 2 weeks out of a 6 month trip just doesn't make sense. That is when in travel forums, I suggest people consider Goodwill, etc. Buy a coat from them that is decent, use it for 2 weeks and then donate it back to them when you move on. Same for gloves, hats, scarfs, winter boots, etc.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts