Canadian Money Forum banner
101 - 120 of 286 Posts

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
This is really very interesting, and shows some sad, unintended consequences of the pandemic.
There's good and bad in everything.

A lot of people have discovered investing, a lot of people have discovered how to invest by themselves.

It can be for the better or the worse.

I'm personally very grateful for the pandemic.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
The US Federal Reserve's Federal Open Market Committee (FOMC) unveiled on Wednesday that it opted to keep key interest rates unchanged at the targeted range of 0.00-0.25%
something besides stocks also growing bigger and bigger.
20% of total corporate debt so far.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I bought 15 BB.TO stocks(for a total of $92) in my margin account 4 months ago. I just bought it because I heard they were working on security on autonomous and smart cars. I just bought it as a gamble because it was under $100. I can say that I saw it going up to maybe $10/share in a year or two but not this lol. I may just sell a few shares to recoup the initial investment and then see where the price of the rest of it goes.

·
Registered
24,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
I just saw a very interesting analysis. This was posted by Ben Felix on his podcast message forum. This is the best explanation I've seen so far, about what's been going on with GameStop and AMC.

The reddit people think they're doing something unique by pumping stocks with high short interest. However, message forums have been pumping stocks for a very long time. It's not a new thing at all, and is pretty much as old as internet message forums themselves (since late 90s).

But this author points out something that's new: social media and their algorithms.

He observes that TikTok was endorsing GameStop videos. Reddit was elevating the exciting GameStop posts. So was Robinhood itself, since the Robinhood platform (game) shows exciting teasers for what other people are doing. These algorithms are designed to find exciting, emotional things that hook people.

On my own Youtube, I also kept seeing GameStop bull cases. I was ignoring them, but they were in my recommended videos of the last few days.

The theory is that social media algorithms dramatically amplified the stock-pumping, much like they amplify nutty political content. This resulted in mass marketing of the GameStop & AMC buy endorsements, reaching a massive audience across multiple social media platforms.

·
Registered
24,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 · (Edited)
Does anyone here know of any "avatar" kind of software for social media, something which can create a fake person (an agent) which browses and navigates through social media, doing human-like activities such as liking videos and responding/browsing emotionally? It would be best if the bot can be tuned to act like a millennial.

A key thing to making this work is having a bot which acts like a real person. Not to go out searching for stock content (that misses the whole point) but rather to do other social media stuff in a typical fashion.

I'm sure hedge funds are already doing this, but I'm wondering what happens if you run such a bot and analyze all the content it sees. Mine the content for anything financial, such as Bitcoin, crypto coinz, or stock symbols.

Then have the software alert you when it sees repeated exposure to something. I bet this would have picked up GME and AMC at a pretty early stage, and I bet these will not be the last.

You could even hook the social media avatar (meme detector) to automated trading, like through the Interactive Brokers API, to automatically buy. You could enhance that automated trading by scaling back the positions if the memes fade away, or increase the positions (exponentially) if the meme picks up steam, to front-run the herd.

I bet we'll get more like GameStop. The great thing is that, as more hedge funds build the system I describe above, they will only amplify the effect further... resulting in extremely powerful market action based on emotion-driven algorithms.

·
Registered
24,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 · (Edited)
TDDI has posted this notice about the bubble stocks. They are not allowing margin loans against these holdings. Good precautions of course.

Effective immediately, we have increased margin requirements to 100% and restricted short selling and uncovered options trading for GameStop (NYSE: GME), Express Inc. (NYSE: EXPR), and AMC Entertainment Holdings Inc. (NYSE: AMC).

I wasn't aware of EXPR. Looks like it was up 214% yesterday. I think TDDI is giving us the nod to pile into EXPR... it must be intended to be a hot stock tip.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
Do you know of any good Epic games that run on linux?

I'm really not up to speed with computer games today. I'd like to get back into it, but I have too much work on my hands (which I am thankful for)

But a few years ago, I was pretty addicted to FPS games like Wolfenstein Enemy Territory, and then later AssaultCube. It was pretty great.
i've been using primarily Linux since the early 90's.
Steam does Linux games, Epic does not.

I game on windows & PS3/PS5 & Wii/Switch (I skip a generation on gaming consoles, because the playability doesn't change much )

·
Registered
24,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
Hitlist
  1. GameStop (GME)
  2. BlackBerry (BB)
  3. C3.Ai (AI)
  4. Nokia (NOK)
  5. Palantir (PLTR)
  6. AMC (AMC)
  7. Alcoa (AA)
  8. Silvergate Capital (SI)
  9. DuPont (DD)
  10. Bed Bath & Beyond
There are more, though these are relatively small market caps

EXPR (up 214% yesterday)
KOSS (up 480% yesterday)
NAKD (up 252% yesterday and 114% premarket)

Maybe it's time to create a pure bubble portfolio? Perhaps 1 share each of
GME, BB, AMC, EXPR, KOSS, NAKD

For the above, yesterday's gain was 235%
And today's pre-market gain is +43%

We all know that diversification is key lol

·
Registered
24,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
Lottery tickets have better odds
I'm not sure, actually. There's a momentum effect here. I think the odds with these stocks is better than a lottery ticket. I could see a single day gamble being a worthwhile effort, but I wouldn't want to hold more than a day.

I wouldn't do it though. I already used up my gambling budget (bitcoin & bombardier) so I have no room for more of this nonsense.

·
Registered
24,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
Wow things might be getting more interesting! It looks like American Airlines, AAL is up 37% pre-market.

This might be the first significant company to catch the bug. The sector fund, JETS, is already up 7% premarket which is a massive move.

What do you think, will American Airlines double in price today? Or maybe 3x?

·
Registered
24,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
Found some spare USD cash under the couch cushion.

I just bought 25 shares of AAL (American Airlines) at 21.59 ... let's see what happens. This is about as large as my Bitcoin gamble.

My idea here is that it's moving like crazy, so there's a chance people might be piling into it, but this one didn't move like crazy in the preceding days so it may be fresh enough to ride the pump.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Not quite.

GPT3 stuff is pretty convincing.
Acting is acting.

Decide to project an emotion, then manifest the cues to that emotion.
No emotion needs to be felt.
An AI doesn't know what is an emotion and why. Sure, it can repeat the cues. It won't ever repeat the evolution of the behaviour the same way a human would.

The AI trying to mimic humane behaviour on YouTube will just base itself on its own "understanding" from the aggregated information it has collected from its "learning". It may work out good enough for a simple test, sure.

AI learning has many pitfalls simply because it's not the same kind of intelligence.

Where AI will fail, human will succeed.
Where AI will succeed, human will fail.

Humans have pitfalls, AI have pitfalls, and their understanding is totally different so the way they complete a task is totally different.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
An AI doesn't know what is an emotion and why. Sure, it can repeat the cues. It won't ever repeat the evolution of the behaviour the same way a human would.

The AI trying to mimic humane behaviour on YouTube will just base itself on its own "understanding" from the aggregated information it has collected from its "learning". It may work out good enough for a simple test, sure.

AI learning has many pitfalls simply because it's not the same kind of intelligence.

Where AI will fail, human will succeed.
Where AI will succeed, human will fail.

Humans have pitfalls, AI have pitfalls, and their understanding is totally different so the way they complete a task is totally different.

Have you ever watched kids learn to interact?
They start out mimicing behaviour, and many people revert to that in situations they don't know what's going on.

I think social referencing is more at play than people think.
In fact, mirroring and other "cheats" can be used to connect to people.

101 - 120 of 286 Posts