Canadian Money Forum banner

221 - 240 of 249 Posts

·
Registered
20,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 ·
What kind of "currency" moves 10% to 15% any time one man "tweets" about it?

Elon is succeeding at one thing: making a mockery of crypto koinz and showing how useless they are for anything other than gambling.

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
Yet hodling 40% of your wealth in bonds in an inflationary environment..

Inflation is actually fiat "moving" in the wrong direction except you see fiat as 1 unit = 1 unit

You just have to reframe your mind

·
Registered
7,378 Posts
What kind of "currency" moves 10% to 15% any time one man "tweets" about it?

Elon is succeeding at one thing: making a mockery of crypto koinz and showing how useless they are for anything other than gambling.
Any currency that is has an unclear value?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Interesting 1-year graph today.

And they all meet together!

Reactions: Spudd

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
Voyager Digital earnings next week

From crumbs dropped by the CEO could be 10-20x new accounts, trades and AUM

Plans to expand to Canada and Europe

·
Registered
303 Posts
Interesting book that was written in 2005.
Manias generally have been associated with the expansion phase of the business cycle, in part because the euphoria associated with the mania leads to increases in spending. During the mania the increases in the prices of real estate or stocks or in one or several commodities contribute to increases in consumption and investment spending that in turn lead to accelerations in the rates of eco- nomic growth. The seers in the economy forecast perpetual economic growth and some venturesome ones proclaim no more recessions— the traditional business cycles of the market economies have become obsolete. The increase in the rate of economic growth induces investors and lenders to become more optimistic about the future and asset prices increase more rapidly—at least for a while.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Did you guys notice that those who have held those stocks actually didn't lose money? (Except for those who bought really high)

GME is a 10X YTD (but -50% from ATH)
AMC is more than a 10X YTD (but -30% from ATH)
EXPR is a 5X YTD (but -65% from ATH)
KOSS is a 8X YTD (but -80% from ATH)
BB is a +50% YTD (but -65% from ATH)

Those who bought the true crazy stocks GME and AMC are doing good... as long as they had the nerves for the ride.

·
Registered
20,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #232 ·
TSX touched 20,000 today
What are your favourite stock picks, here at all time market highs?

AMC is up 19% today, NIO up 9% and might be breaking out, has cleared above its 50 and 200 day moving average. NIO is likely a fraud but nothing matters at all time bubble highs.

Myself, the only thing I bought recently were bonds. I'm already overweight in my stock allocation so there is no justification for buying stocks here.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
TSX doesn't seem like a bubble to me. It took 13 years to go from 15,000 to 20,000. The S&P on the other hand is very overvalued since well before COVID.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
TSX doesn't seem like a bubble to me. It took 13 years to go from 15,000 to 20,000. The S&P on the other hand is very overvalued since well before COVID.
Yes, that's why I'm happy seeing the TSX beat S&P 500 and NASDAQ so far this year. That's what I was expecting. Now, the next half of the year will be very interesting...

·
Registered
20,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #235 ·
Looking at 2000 to now, the TSX has actually posted more routine and regular gains than the US index. Yes with volatility, but the Canadian market has been a pretty good ride.

Today, the 15 year return of XIU is 6.8% CAGR
And since inception in 1999 (22+ years), 7.5% CAGR

Note this start date ^ was the dot com bubble peak. Even someone who bought the index right at the peak has an excellent return.

Anyone invested in the dumb old Canadian index is "winning". The only hard part about investing is sticking with the strategy in the long term. Easier said than done.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Did you guys notice that those who have held those stocks actually didn't lose money? (Except for those who bought really high)

GME is a 10X YTD (but -50% from ATH)
AMC is more than a 10X YTD (but -30% from ATH)
EXPR is a 5X YTD (but -65% from ATH)
KOSS is a 8X YTD (but -80% from ATH)
BB is a +50% YTD (but -65% from ATH)

Those who bought the true crazy stocks GME and AMC are doing good... as long as they had the nerves for the ride.
AMC... 20X YTD

Correction : 30X

·
Registered
20,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #237 ·
AMC ... unbelievable, doubled today! New analyst price target of $200 perhaps?

I do have one technical note about this chart. Time and again, the 200 day moving average has served as a good indicator of whether a stock is generally strong or weak. AMC got above its 200 day moving average in February.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
AMC got above its 200 day moving average in February.
Be careful with that analysis. AMC got above its 200 MA because it jumped in euphoria, not the other way around. AMC was also above its 200 MA in September 2020, and in 2018, and in 2016... And yet it continued to drop.

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
I thought AMC was just another short squeeze

This trend started with Bill Gates shorting TSLA and losing hard

VYGR is also heavily shorted btw

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I thought AMC was just another short squeeze

This trend started with Bill Gates shorting TSLA and losing hard

VYGR is also heavily shorted btw
Yes, but I'm wondering how much a stock has to be shorted to truly trigger a short squeeze, as this may be just a hype in the hope of squeezing the shorts.

AMC is about 20% shorted, maybe less.

221 - 240 of 249 Posts