Canadian Money Forum banner

201 - 220 of 249 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Ethereum is on a run, wow. But I must admit it's the only crypto I would be willing to buy, but instead I bought a blockchain ETF, way too late in my opinion though.

ETH is nearing a 10-fold in 6 months.

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
Ethereum is on a run, wow. But I must admit it's the only crypto I would be willing to buy
I narrowed it down to ETH and ADA.

ETH pays me 5.5-6.5% (liquid) and 8% (bonded) and this is expected to increase after the ETH2 merge at these volumes. The fees will get burned at that point. This could make ETH the first capital that can also be liquid and a commodity (transaction fees) Visa, Mastercard and European banks will be using it for transactions

ADA pays me 5-6% (liquid) and is projected to have its biggest upgrade in Aug. They have agreements with governments and they have far more features for governance and sustainability. ADA seems more professional and advanced but nothing is really built on it yet. If they get smart contracts and DeFi before ETH2..

I have some exposure to BTC in TFSA/RRSP. I have random other tokens that have exploded but I don't see them sticking around. No DOGE yet

·
Registered
20,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #205 ·
Many of these have come down hard. Here are the drawdowns (from the peak price) so far

FCEL -74%
PLUG -72%
BLDP -65%
HMMJ.TO -49%
NIO -47%
BABA -31%
TSLA -28%

What do you think @MrBlackhill and @Jimmy maybe the buying opportunity of a lifetime? Time to go in with leverage?

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Many of these have come down hard. Here are the drawdowns (from the peak price) so far

FCEL -74%
PLUG -72%
BLDP -65%
HMMJ.TO -49%
NIO -47%
BABA -31%
TSLA -28%

What do you think @MrBlackhill and @Jimmy maybe the buying opportunity of a lifetime? Time to go in with leverage?
I think BABA is a great company, but the ownership structure is a disaster.
Sure it's just an Amazon wannabe, but China is well known for protecting domestic companies from competition.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts

FCEL -74%
PLUG -72%
BLDP -65%
HMMJ.TO -49%
NIO -47%
BABA -31%
TSLA -28%

I don't own any of those companies so not sure why you direct your sarcasm at me. Some are good though and way oversold so yes it is a good time to buy.
I don't buy on margin either. You omitted gold and XLB which are down 15-20%. Are you buying?

·
Registered
20,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #209 ·
I don't own any of those companies so not sure why you direct your sarcasm at me. Some are good though and way oversold so yes it is a good time to buy.
I don't buy on margin either.
I directed this genuine question at you, because you stated early in this thread that "Most of these stocks growing rapidly have the sales and earnings to support their valuations". You stated that you were interested in these, and think they are good investments, so that's obviously why I am asking you if you'd like to buy at these much lower prices.

You omitted gold and XLB which are down 15-20%. Are you buying?
Long term bonds are not part of my investment plan, so I have no interest in buying XLB at any price.

Gold is part of my investment plan, so yes, I am buying it when down. When adding new money to my portfolio, I buy whichever asset is under weight at the time.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
It's a valid question. I saw stocks that I liked going down 50-75% from March til June last year. Really, a lot of them stayed down until early November 2020, when Pfizer announced their COVID vaccine was 95%+ effective. I was scrounging up a lot of spare cash and even punched my LOC to buy shares in the 6+ month sale. So cash plus leverage. Down 75% means you can get 300% if it just returns to where it was.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I directed this genuine question at you, because you stated early in this thread that "Most of these stocks growing rapidly have the sales and earnings to support their valuations". You stated that you were interested in these, and think they are good investments, so that's obviously why I am asking you if you'd like to buy at these much lower prices.
No almost all wrong. You seem to have confused what I said. I never stated any of your last sentence. The first part was a general comment you have taken out of context.

In reality all I said was " Most of these stocks growing rapidly have the sales and earnings to support their valuations." referring to growth stocks generally

·
Registered
1,488 Posts

A senior manager at Goldman Sachs in London has quit the US investment bank after making millions from investing in Dogecoin, the joke crypto asset which has risen by more than 1,000% in value this year.

City sources said Aziz McMahon, a managing director and head of emerging market sales, had resigned from the bank after making money from investing in the digital currency based on the Doge internet meme.
Lots of people winning the cryptolottery. At the moment, I kinda have a feeling of missing out on Ethereum (I wouldn't buy Doge). I was wondering if I should buy a little bit when some ETF came out. Now they have risen +70% since then, less than a month ago. They say to follow your dreams... I don't why, but I had a dream about Ethereum a few weeks ago... And I usually never dream. Still haven't bought it as I only want to buy productive assets.

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
I haven't bought ETH for a long time @MrBlackhill but I hold a lot of it. I run an ethereum node and I used ethereum DeFi before the gas prices got out of hand (now hundreds of dollars per transaction..)

Lately I'm buying Polygon because it appears to be the best scaling solution coming to ethereum. It's easier to stake than ETH. If I sell some ETH after this pump cools off I might put more into Polygon. However if Cardano successfully launches smart contracts I will be laser focused on their DeFi projects. User experience is so much better with Cardano and the fees are tiny.

Look at VYGR, COIN etc. Voyager app has been crashing and getting complaints but I see that as unfortunate growing pains from exponential demand. Coinbase is now the #1 app in the US app store

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
Lately I'm buying Polygon because it appears to be the best scaling solution coming to ethereum. It's easier to stake than ETH. If I sell some ETH after this pump cools off I might put more into Polygon. However if Cardano successfully launches smart contracts I will be laser focused on their DeFi projects. User experience is so much better with Cardano and the fees are tiny.
Polygon and Cardano now pumping while everything else is down

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Looks like many are down 10% or more this morning.

Why the big sell off today?
Who knows, I've yet to see any valuation that isn't simply a ponzi scheme.

Though I think the platform coins are doing some things with non-zero value.
I personally think NFTs are dumb, but that's an actual function, which has a non-zero value.

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
Looks like many are down 10% or more this morning.

Why the big sell off today?

Elon Musk tweet storm about crypto over the weekend. US taxes are also due but I think it's more the uncertainty from the "technoking of Tesla"

Cardano, Solana, Polygon are up in a sea of red since this started because they are the most likely ones he would chose

Fixing Doge as Elon says they will try to do is possible but it would take a complete overhaul at this point

201 - 220 of 249 Posts