Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, that was a fun week on the markets!! About the best positive spin that you can put on it is that it moved us closer to a good buying opportunity as just about everything just got cheaper.

This week's losses:

TSX: -2.30%
Dow: -3.29%
Nasdaq: -5.02%

Maybe this is the equivalent of a summer clearance sale for stocks.

However, just like many of those sales, there may be more discounts to come for those who are patient.

You've got to love the stock markets where you can lose more in a single week than you can make in an entire year with GIC's!!:(

Oh well, no additional losses for the next two days at least.

But, then comes Monday and the fun resumes all over again.

Gotta love it!!!

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK then, instead of concentrating on one single week, let's look at the year so far and see how the indexes have done.

Oh, oh!!!!!

With about 4 1/2 months left in the year, the S&P/TSX Composite Index is DOWN 1.85%!:mad::(

Well, maybe the S&P 500 Index has done better.

Oh, oh!!!!!

It's performed even worse and is DOWN 3.21% so far this year.

Are we in for negative returns on the indexes at year's end?

Well, there is certainly much anxiety and negativity currently being expressed out there!!

Oh well, as we say about the Maple Leafs, maybe NEXT year!!!:confused:

·
Banned
190 Posts
i think it's just a great buying opportunity... i'm doing regular deposits into index funds and the dollar cost averaging is working out great... then again, i'm optimistic about the future (ie. 3-5 years)

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
How long do you think the stock market can stay decoupled from the real world?

Shouldn't it reflect the real increases in earnings from its components?

·
Registered
249 Posts
The stock market reflects the anxiety over the future of US economy which is not certain at this point despite the good earnings. The earnings reflect the bull market of last year which obviously correctly anticipated the earnings of this year.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Osc is correct and the market is also living off the sugar high of government stimulus which is now ending unless they pump it back in again in a big way. The market also isn't setting up very well at this time which means we could be into some difficulty this September and October.

I am thinking a bad September and October will be the backdrop needed for the Fed and the government to sell the next round of stimulus and quantitative easing.

·
Banned
25 Posts
@ Belguy and the-royal-mail

"In the long run, a portfolio of well chosen stocks and/or equity mutual funds will always outperform a portfolio of bonds or a money-market account."
-Peter Lynch

While we can't predict the future, nor can we use past returns to predict those of the future, I'm willing to trust Mr. Lynch on this one.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
I think the quote implies "well-chosen equity mutual funds". The selection is broad but the choices are few!

·
Banned
25 Posts
Today's mutual fund winners are often tomorrow's dogs!!:mad:
So choosing today's winners isn't what we are trying to do. Consider that Benjamin Graham isn't remembered as a mutual fund manager but as a guru, the father of security analysis, however Graham-Newman ran somewhat of a closed-end fund. Other names are Sir John Templeton, T. Rowe Price Jr. and the earlier mentioned Peter Lynch. It seems that we will not know who the great manager of present time is until they are reaching the end of their run, but I'd bet that there is one out there somewhere.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Been there. Done that. I got tired of chasing after hot managers! No sooner did I invest in some fund that they managed than they would move to another fund company. Either that, or they would retire. That's one big reason why I decided to just go with the indexes via ETF's.

No more chasing!!!:mad:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Interesting, I just finished reading that chapter in the Intelligent Investor! =)

I'm more of an ETF gal myself now... I don't think I could be bothered to keep up to date with the mutual fund managers and where they're going. It'd be nice if they could send out a memo to investors, huh?

"Dear sir or madam, _____ the fund manager of ___ has announced his decision to more to ____ company next month"

·
Banned
2,508 Posts
Interesting, I just finished reading that chapter in the Intelligent Investor! =)

I'm more of an ETF gal myself now... I don't think I could be bothered to keep up to date with the mutual fund managers and where they're going. It'd be nice if they could send out a memo to investors, huh?

"Dear sir or madam, _____ the fund manager of ___ has announced his decision to more to ____ company next month"
They don't want you to notice that their fund is just a closet indexer. ;)

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That is another reason why I mainly dumped managed funds (as well as my advisor!) because it always angered me when they continued to make money off of my money, in all market conditions, even while I was watching my portfolio drop in value.

My advisor was driving a brand new Lexus while I was taking the bus!!!:mad:

This is one of the few businesses out there where, as an advisor, you can make money off of your clients, year in and year out, in good times and bad.:mad:

The house always wins!!!:eek:

·
Banned
156 Posts
That is another reason why I mainly dumped managed funds (as well as my advisor!) because it always angered me when they continued to make money off of my money, in all market conditions, even while I was watching my portfolio drop in value.

My advisor was driving a brand new Lexus while I was taking the bus!!!:mad:

This is one of the few businesses out there where, as an advisor, you can make money off of your clients, year in and year out, in good times and bad.:mad:

The house always wins!!!:eek:
Just like someone had said how they had gone over with the adviser the losses they took in the last year or so and then the adviser asked them to come out and see his new BMW or whatever...

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
I have advisors that drive Lexi and ones that take the bus. The difference seems to be their personal lifestyle choice. Although I must admit that the one that takes the bus helped me buy my last BMW. But I am willing to chalk that up to randomness.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts