Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In another thread, I was reflecting on how happy I was to find some essential supplies over the last few months. There are many companies which really came through for me and my family since COVID started. I think that it's easy for us to take some of this for granted, even though some people have worked extremely hard behind the scenes.

Maybe we can share our appreciations here for companies, retailers, suppliers, organizations, etc. Places that really came through for you or made your life better.

·
Registered
17,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I'd like to thank:

• Sunwing Airlines, which beautifully handled emergency logistics
  • Air Canada, which gave me comfortable flights at an insane time
  • Sobeys / Safeway for making deals with local suppliers for essential med stuff
  • Pure Joy Naturals (MB), Minhas (SK), Central City Brewers (BC) for alcohol cleaners
  • London Drugs for the impressive availability of essential supplies
I was in the Caribbean on a Sunwing package when the COVID stuff hit. The way that company organized, got information out, and handled the flights was extremely impressive. I sent a thank-you letter to their company and if Sunwing survives, I will always prefer buying through them. I saw them at their best... truly amazing.

I then had some essential travel needs and had some good travel experiences with Air Canada at a time when nobody was flying. It's amazing how comfortable they made everything. However I have to add that, sadly, with their more fully-packed planes these days, I don't want to fly just yet. (If they kept middle seats empty, I would book a ticket tomorrow).

But when I am flying again, Air Canada & Sunwing will be at the top of my list.

Sobeys seems to do an amazing job at finding great local suppliers and I like how much business is being done with these local places. And they acted really fast during the lockdowns, providing essentials that I couldn't find anywhere else. In Winnipeg, the Sobeys stores also looked the cleanest, with best hygiene and customer distancing enforcement of any store I went to.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Maybe we can share our appreciations here for companies, retailers, suppliers, organizations, etc. Places that really came through for you or made your life better.
I don't have any particular company in mind but this is a really good thought. I want to thank all people who worked hard to put food on to my table especially the grocery store workers both frontend and backend..

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
In addition to the workers that had to keep supply chain going, I have to say thanks to Sobeys, Canadian Tire and then London Drugs. The Girl Guide cookie campaign was just starting, when we were shut down. There were millions of dollars of cookies held by units and areas that we where unable to sell. These stores stepped up and offered to buy some of them to help us out. I appreciate them offering to sell some of our cookies.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
No thanks to Westjet who kept delaying our confirmed return flight from PV. Many other also had false confidence in them. After three confirmed later flights, we decided to get DWs surgery done in PV and finally returned to Canada on American in July. Kudos to American on insisting on masks on the ground and in the air. (Westjet has still failed to offer flights from PV and many people are still there waiting!)

But we got great service from La Comer in PV and Fresh Street in WV for deliveries.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
We cut our Mexican vacation short and flew home direct from Puerto Vallarta mid/ late March just a day prior to when the Gov't advised us to be home. We booked our Transat flight about a week or less prior to flight date. The price was usual. Three hundred or so. Similar to the US airline prices but without a change in plane in the US. Westjet, on the other hand, was changing $750 plus for the same flight/same time period and they went as high as $1000. until someone called them out on it on Facebook. Then they reduced it back to the Transat price.

There was no service on the plane but Transat had emailed us twice to tell make sure that we were aware of this. It was BYOB for water, etc. and any packaged food that you wanted. Great service. Nice to see a company not trying to take advantage of our situation.

·
Registered
17,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And how could I forgot Canada Post... wow, I really take them for granted but they've been amazing.

Thanks to all the Canada Post employees out there. I think there are a couple on this forum :)

I was moving shortly after lockdowns eased, and started shipping personal belongings a few months ago. As usual, service was great, and a very reasonable price for lots of kg shipped. It was delivered incredibly fast between two distant cities and the carriers even brought the boxes right to my door. The system just kept on running!

Amazing service. More recently I had some important mail via Xpresspost and the carriers still delivered it despite the insane smoke in the city at the time. It was hazardous being outdoors at all. These guys and gals are really putting themselves in harm's way to provide an essential service.

Big thank-you to Canada Post. While I'm at it, I've also had great service from the US Postal Service (USPS) which have also been amazing, plus they integrate very well with Canada Post at the border. I always thank postal employees whenever I see them.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Canada Post is consistently great. Not sure why conservatives love to complain about them.

Couriers on the other hand are like gambling... you might get good service or terrible service. Underpaid workers routinely lose parcels, and you never know what what fee you'll be slapped with when the shipment is from outside of Canada.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts