Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Newbie here...

I have an ING TFSA savings account, which I opened in Jan. I'm looking to tread into the global couch potato territory for my next contribution. I've read up on few of the posts here and I had a few questions, being the newbie I am. I really appreciate your insightful inputs.

1) I'm interested in the TD efunds. In order to trade this, do you need to use TD Waterhouse or can I sign up with a discount brokerage like Questrade. Any differences (e.g. do I pay something extra)?

2) How do you make an in-kind transfer from ING to the discount brokerage, say Questrade? Since I've already made my $5k contribution, I need to properly transfer to Questrade or pay penalties ... I'm thinking about simply waiting until Dec, withdraw from ING and deposit withdrawal and new contribution into Questrade in Jan BUT I would like to know about this in-kind contribution for future reference.

3) How does spousal contribution work? Do you declare this at income tax time? How does the CRA distinguish between spousal contribution and over contribution?

Thanks in advance!

SKC

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't know much about TD e-Series so cannot answer that question.

For questions 2 and 3 however:

2) You would simply open a TFSA trading account with Questrade. Once you have finished filling out all of the paperwork, you will be asked how you want to fund your account. There, you have the option of selecting "Transfer from another brokerage". When you select that option, you get a form to download and print, which you must sign and fill in with details (i.e. account number, etc.) pertaining to your ING account. Once filled out, send it to Questrade and they take care of the rest.

3) You can contribute an additional $5000 of your own money to your spouse's account without paying any taxes or penalties. You won't need to declare anything on next year's income tax return.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts