Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had made my contribution of 5k into my PC financial account but the CRA website is showing 0 contribution for 2009 and a limit of 10k for 2010. Should i call them to fix it?

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
You can try but I'm not sure if it is worth the effort. As long as you keep within your contribution room then you will be fine.

When did you file? I think the TFSA filing to the CRA would be in Feb or even March so if you filed before that then they wouldn't have any record of your 2009 contributions at that time.

·
Banned
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can try but I'm not sure if it is worth the effort. As long as you keep within your contribution room then you will be fine.

When did you file? I think the TFSA filing to the CRA would be in Feb or even March so if you filed before that then they wouldn't have any record of your 2009 contributions at that time.
you mean file my returns? i made no mention of TFSA in my returns...

·
Registered
420 Posts
I noticed the exact same thing on both my and my husband's NOAs. I called the toll-free number for the CRA and they told me not to worry about it. They said it is because they rely on the financial institution to report the TFSA contributions to them and this takes time. The rep I spoke with also said that as TFSAs are only a couple of years old, the filing systems that the financial institutions are using to file still have 'glitches'.

·
Banned
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I noticed the exact same thing on both my and my husband's NOAs. I called the toll-free number for the CRA and they told me not to worry about it. They said it is because they rely on the financial institution to report the TFSA contributions to them and this takes time. The rep I spoke with also said that as TFSAs are only a couple of years old, the filing systems that the financial institutions are using to file still have 'glitches'.
thanks Dana. This saves me a lengthy call with the CRA!!!

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
you mean file my returns? i made no mention of TFSA in my returns...
Sorry, I reread your post. I thought you were referring to the notice of assessment which I believe will show the TFSA status. This doesn't get generated until after you file which is why I asked when you filed.

Regardelss, Dana answered the question. :)

·
Registered
500 Posts
I can't think of any circumstances that would prompt me to call CRA over this sort of thing ... they'll figure it all out when they get their reports from the financial institutions, and if they don't, so what? ... as long as they're not under-reporting your TFSA room, then why worry about it?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts