Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really kicking my self for not holding off my contributions until spring... I normally maximize both my account and my wife's as soon as Jan 1 hits because I believed that market timing is impossible. But when a HUGE buying opportunity comes along just like the one we have today, what do you do? You can't add more money as you have already maximized contributions, nor can you sell portions of your positions to free up cash because everything is in the red (unless things get worse, but then again, you can't time the market).

At least with RRSP, you still have an opportunity to contribute for the 2020 year and those limits are higher. Better yet, non-registered accounts have no limits and can be used to take advantage of these buying opportunities.

Starting to understand the limits of TFSA and will be looking at other strategies in the future. Anyone in the same boat? If so, has this experience changed your investing strategy?

·
Super Moderator
2,730 Posts
Starting to understand the limits of TFSA and will be looking at other strategies in the future. Anyone in the same boat? If so, has this experience changed your investing strategy?
I just see TFSA as an extension to my RRSP. Timing was bad this year for some and you can never hindsight trade so just adapt to the situation. If you have cash on hand in other areas (RRSP/Cash accounts) you can deploy there if you like.

I don't see how one could change strategies in the future with regards to TFSA, you never know what month the conditions will change.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
What does TFSA room have to do with it? If you have cash to invest, you can, if you don't, you can't.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
It's not so much a problem withe TFSA, so much as an issue with your cash deployment and asset allocation.
If you're fully invested, fine, but you should have money in bonds or non equities you could trade over to stocks if you feel like there's deals and your AA is out of whack.

There is limitless room to invest in non-reg. You can do so and transfer some equities over in kind to your TFSA if it's worth it in Jan 2021 when you get new contribution room.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts