Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,217 Posts
^ A GIC is the safest you can get as it's guaranteed/insured. But not sure about investing in a 5 year term though with interest rates continuing to climb unless you plan on building a ladder.

As for other suggestions - stocks or ETFs, depend on what else you have in your portfolio - in the TFSA, RRSP, etc. I'm certain others with alot of expertise can make recommendation(s) there if you can provide further details.

·
Registered
24,720 Posts
thanks guys
everything is in gics except a tiny bit in a cibc index fund.
Some food for thought...

High performing investments like stock index funds are better suited for a TFSA. The reason is that, over the long term, stocks are going to have much larger gains. All of those gains will be tax free in the TFSA! That's a massive advantage.

So let's say you had $6000 each of a GIC and a stock index and had to pick which to put in a TFSA. Personally I'd put the stock index inside the TFSA and keep the GIC non registered.

It's because the GIC, though taxed at a high rate, doesn't produce much of a gain so there really isn't that much tax to pay. Not a big deal though, just something to consider.

·
Registered
10,217 Posts
thanks guys
everything is in gics except a tiny bit in a cibc index fund.
... nothing wrong with having most of your investments in GICs if you're super-duper risk adverse. But keep in mind those inflation will eat away those "gains".

So unless you're very old age or not in good health, you might want to venture a tad more bit outside of the index fund and GICs. I mean how about 80% GICs+index fund / 20% stocks +ETFs instead of current 90% GICs+index fund for example. That's all I can suggest.

·
Registered
10,217 Posts
other than GICs, what is safeISH?
... how's the CIBC Index fund doing? Are you happy or comfortable with owning that? If so, you might want to buy more units to keep in line with your current risk (safeish) appetite or you might want to buy a passive ETF - gonna cost you the same ($6.95) now to buy more units of the mutual fund.

Or have someone else suggest a dividend-paying stock that they held for the longest period of time (3 or 4 decades?) which is still around, possibly at 10 fold their original cost. That ought to be safe enough for you to consider.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the cibc fund was bought cos that account ONLY lets you buy cibc fund,
TFSA account will let me buy anything.
low fee is nice which is why i mentioned ETFs.
probably wont be held for more than 10 years
thanks

·
Registered
10,217 Posts
the cibc fund was bought cos that account ONLY lets you buy cibc fund,
... I'm assuming that's only because this account was opened with the bank. And so they recommend that fund.

Had a quick glance of your postings history, it appears you're in the decumulation stage with a RRIF in which I don't think stocks are appropriate here. However, with your TFSA of which you stated:
TFSA account will let me buy anything.
low fee is nice which is why i mentioned ETFs.
probably wont be held for more than 10 years
thanks
... that would mean it's through a discount brokerage DIY. So here're some suggestions for stocks as far as safeish goes:

Which dividend paying stock(s) have you held the longest...

As for ETFs, they haven't been around as long as some of the above list of stocks. But I'm sure other posters can make recommendations for those - low fee, dividend-paying, and stable ETFs.

From the top of my mind atm, I think XIU or (newer XIC) would be a good equivalent for that index fund you have.

Just keep in mind, neither ETFs and stocks are guaranteed or 100% safe as GICs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts