Canadian Money Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The sunrise in NYC was already showing the red glow of smoke from the west.
Yeah this is giving some very surreal skies. A couple days ago, I could look straight up to the sun and see the yellowish glow obscured by smoke.

I'm testing out the car's A/C mode (with recirculated air). It seems to do a good job keeping out the smoke, or at least the smell. I wonder how much the dangerous, very fine particles get into the car though. Hopefully when recirculating, there is no active air intake?

I also have some friends in Oregon who are dealing with totally toxic, off-the-charts level of smoke. Some of them are unable to keep it out of their homes or are having trouble with their HVAC systems, which is awful under these circumstances. I'm wondering if one solution (to get reprieve) might be to go into the car, with A/C mode, and also run a portable HEPA inside the car off an inverter.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I'm testing out the car's A/C mode (with recirculated air). It seems to do a good job keeping out the smoke, or at least the smell. I wonder how much the dangerous, very fine particles get into the car though. Hopefully when recirculating, there is no active air intake?

I also have some friends in Oregon who are dealing with totally toxic, off-the-charts level of smoke. Some of them are unable to keep it out of their homes or are having trouble with their HVAC systems, which is awful under these circumstances. I'm wondering if one solution (to get reprieve) might be to go into the car, with A/C mode, and also run a portable HEPA inside the car off an inverter.
There are portable USB HEPA fans available for cars, you would not need an inverter. There are lots of small room air filters available. If they wanted some reprieve they could go into a smaller room in the home, preferably with no windows or outside door, run a heavy duty air filter in inside that room with the door closed, and run a air purifier on the other side of the door. It would really depend on the layout of the home. In my home, that would be a bathroom, but I have seen some homes with dens without windows.

·
Registered
17,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
There are portable USB HEPA fans available for cars, you would not need an inverter. There are lots of small room air filters available. If they wanted some reprieve they could go into a smaller room in the home, preferably with no windows or outside door, run a heavy duty air filter in inside that room with the door closed, and run a air purifier on the other side of the door. It would really depend on the layout of the home. In my home, that would be a bathroom, but I have seen some homes with dens without windows.
Great ideas, thanks! It's very sad. There is such desperation over there, and obviously it's impossible to find a HEPA under conditions like that.

Some people have resorted to using large box fans with homemade filters, such as furnace filters taped to it, as they struggle to filter out the toxic air inside their homes. We're talking about an extreme environment, nothing like what we have in BC or AB currently. A comparable example would be in Australia, cities close to the wildfires. I know of some people who had to wear N95 masks all day indoors.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts