Canadian Money Forum banner
1881 - 1900 of 1924 Posts

·
Registered
17,139 Posts
Bogus testing on the Moose test. There were different drivers in the vehicles.

A low centre of gravity and the battery on the bottom of the Tesla gives it good stability, but the downside is a full size SUV or truck would run right over it.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Edit: On a side note ... US is passing a law that auto makers must have all cars able to detect drunk driving starting in 2024.
I imagine there is a lot that could be updated in DOT.

Europe had completely different requirements and far superior vehicles imo. Better headlights, better mirrors, better emissions (more efficient and more power) etc. We have to dumb our vehicles down to meet outdated DOT

Smart EVs are being held back by DOT written for horseless carriages

·
Registered
5,627 Posts

A low centre of gravity and the battery on the bottom of the Tesla gives it good stability, but the downside is a full size SUV or truck would run right over it.

Our Cruze RS scraped speed bumps and inclines into parking lots, but was nimble and stable.

I had it about 3 days before a garbage truck backed into me at a red light and crumpled by entire hood before they realized I was sitting behind them.

Any further and it would have run their bumper right through the windshield and into the driver compartment.

Let's see a head on collision between a Tesla and a full size SUV to see what happens.
Oh sags. You gonna run over a kid or try to avoid that?

Low CoG has many advantages. Your strawmen are exhausting and not worth addressing them all

Tesla has better safety data and ratings.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Tesla needs to poach some of Ford and GMs talent to solve some simple problems that are nothing new

Ford and GM will have a very hard time recruiting tech talent when everyone wants tech talent

·
Registered
17,139 Posts
Oh sags. You gonna run over a kid or try to avoid that?

Low CoG has many advantages. Your strawmen are exhausting and not worth addressing them all

Tesla has better safety data and ratings.
The safety board told Tesla to stop spreading misleading information regarding their safety ratings.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
The safety board told Tesla to stop spreading misleading information regarding their safety ratings.
So you only read the click bait title a random internet article and didn't look any further?

They did better on the tests than any other vehicles. Time to raise the standard and improve the test

GM and Ford have the stronger lobbyists and unions though

·
Registered
17,139 Posts
Vehicle ratings are scores within their vehicle segment class. A Tesla sedan is rated against other compact sedans.

A top score is 5. There is no higher score of 5.4 possible. Tesla either doesn't know that or spread false information on purpose.

A Chevrolet Trailblazer is judged best in class for safety, but it was only judged against other compact SUVs.

To claim a small sedan or compact SUV is safer than a full size SUV like a Suburban or Navigator is just nonsense.

They drive the US President around in full size Suburbans for good reasons.

·
Registered
17,139 Posts
At the low end of the safety scale, cheap Chinese EV vehicles are the top sellers in China but aren't allowed for sale in NA because of poor safety.

At the top end, I doubt regulators are going to ignore a Tesla that can accelerate from 0-60 mph.......that is mph not kms.......in 2 seconds.

A quarter mile time of 9 seconds is in drag racing track territory. Imagine these vehicles in the hands of novice or inexperienced drivers.

I would bet that regulation is coming to put speed limiters on these vehicles, and then they just become ordinary EV sedans.

There are already speed limitations and safety regulations on all kinds of vehicles.

·
Registered
9,298 Posts

What "moose test"
Also no full size SUV on the market would "run over" a moose. Unless it was a baby.

Car Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle

I know moose hunters who annoyed a moose, it trashed their Suburban and walked off.

(They were in the vehicle, so they didn't have ready access to their guns)

·
Registered
17,139 Posts
Calling the testing a "moose test" is stupid, as it isn't recommended to swerve your vehicle to avoid wild animals, especially with oncoming traffic.

If you hit a moose with a low level vehicle it will likely come up into the windshield and perhaps into the passenger compartment.

A full size SUV will hit the moose in the legs and send it flying away from the vehicle. The moose and driver walked away unhurt.

When I went hunting with my buddies, they always had their guns ready because there were often bears out hunting as well.

I didn't carry a gun because I don't hunt and was there for the ATV riding and camping, but I didn't stray too far from my gun toting buddies.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
They drive the US President around in full size Suburbans for good reasons.
I suspect that those Suburbans are not the ones you find at a dealer :)

Regardless, they are are tough. We had a Chev Tahoe which is really just a stubby Suburban, We had a drunk driver broadside us. He came across 4 lanes of highway at speed and said he didn't see me! Anyway, he hit us on the driver side door. His minivan was totally trashed in front end. I was driving and I could see no damage on inside of door. Outside was trashed. Internal beam saved me.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Calling the testing a "moose test" is stupid, as it isn't recommended to swerve your vehicle to avoid wild animals, especially into oncoming traffic.
Would you swerve around a little kid @sags

The typical American vehicle becomes unstable and uncontrollable on the highway very easily. Having tracked cars I like having a controllable vehicle with good handling

What is the downside to a low center of gravity? Rarely is something good for off roading, racing and driving at once with no trade off. Nobody ever says they prefer a higher center of gravity. It's just good

Balanced low center of gravity is a very simple and very good design feature

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
The moose test is very important.
I'd argue it is the most important test.

I hate Tesla's. They look like ****. Musk is an idiot. And the infrastructure is just not there yet to make them worthwhile. Regardless of my feelings - they do have a great CoG and they have nice handling.

In fact, one of the appeals of them is how fast they can accelerate and how nimble they are.

These days, most cars are built like trash. They feel like a cloud. Light struts and springs, electric steering, high CoG, box-type features, horrible rotors... Etc.

You cannot deny that a Tesla is, at the very least, probably one of the safest cars (when driven by a human and not the computer).

·
Registered
17,139 Posts
Would you swerve around a little kid @sags

Fortunately, my GM has forward, back and side vehicle and pedestrian warnings and would flash red lights and start to stop itself.

Would you swerve around ducks on a road and end up in a collision or hitting pedestrians on a sidewalk ?

The question was raised here a few years ago when ducks and geese were crossing in the middle of 4 lanes of very busy traffic.

The answer came from a similar case in Quebec.

·
Registered
17,139 Posts
The technology works well too.

The other night I was driving home on Highway 401 and travelling about 120 kms an hour.

There was a construction zone and the left hand land merged into a single lane up ahead.

A car went blasting past in that lane and they must have cut in up the line where that lane ended.

Everyone else was in single file, but by cutting in that driver set off a chain reaction of everyone slamming on their brakes.

My Trailblazer flashed a row of red lights on the windshield before I realized the traffic had completely stopped and was already applying the brakes before I had a chance to move my foot to the brake. Maybe a couple of seconds worth of time but that can cover a lot of ground at 120 kms per hour.

Good thing too.......because I got stopped about 3 feet behind the car ahead and then worried the guy behind me might plow into me.

I don't know how far ahead the technology can measure but it knew the traffic had stopped at least seconds before I did.

It has already proven well worth the extra cost for the drivers asssitance technology package and I highly recommend it on all vehicles.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
The technology works well too.

The other night I was driving home on Highway 401 and travelling about 120 kms an hour.

There was a construction zone and the left hand land merged into a single lane up ahead.

A car went blasting past in that lane and they must have cut in up the line where that lane ended.

Everyone else was in single file, but by cutting in that driver set off a chain reaction of everyone slamming on their brakes.

My Trailblazer flashed a row of red lights on the windshield before I realized the traffic had completely stopped and was already applying the brakes before I had a chance to move my foot to the brake. Maybe a couple of seconds worth of time but that can cover a lot of ground at 120 kms per hour.

Good thing too.......because I got stopped about 3 feet behind the car ahead and then worried the guy behind me might plow into me.

I don't know how far ahead the technology can measure but it knew the traffic had stopped at least seconds before I did.

It has already proven well worth the extra cost for the drivers asssitance technology package and I highly recommend it on all vehicles.
Sounds like maybe you should take a driving test.

·
Registered
9,298 Posts
When I went hunting with my buddies, they always had their guns ready because there were often bears out hunting as well.
Well the people I hang out with comply with the applicable hunting regulations, but that's just me.
I have no tolerance for those violating firearms laws.

1. Loaded Firearm in Vehicle or Motorboat: It is illegal to possess a loaded firearm in or on a vehicle or motorboat. This is unsafe and has resulted in accidents, including fatalities.

·
Registered
17,139 Posts
Yet another Tesla recall regarding loose bolts on the suspension and an investigation into their autopilot software after an accident.

I read that some Tesla vehicles have 5 outstanding recalls to fix issues.

With all the other quality issues like paint, door handles, Teslas has a lot of work to do inside their assembly plants.

·
Registered
17,139 Posts
In stock news.....Tesla has dropped 10% in 5 days which is the biggest decline in 20 months.

It might be just a short term blip, or it could be investors becoming interested in the competition now that it is here.

In a CNBC interview, GM CEO Mary Barra said they will have 30 EV models coming to showrooms over the next 3 years.

They have the production facilities ready and are just waiting for semiconductor chips.

All of the manufacturers are coming to market with some impressive EV vehicles.

The battle for market share has only just begun.

1881 - 1900 of 1924 Posts