Canadian Money Forum banner

1261 - 1280 of 1291 Posts

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
I know it takes more gas to climb a mountain but I still have 1/4-1/2 tank of gas left over for an Okanagan-Vancouver run. Why in the world would I want to stop somewhere for a 20-30 minute charge on a 380 km trip? I agree it is not relevant for commuter EVs, but some EVs will need considerably longer range for at least some uses. I will need to get similar range out of an EV to consider one for touring

EVs do have the benefit of regenerative braking on down slopes but that is assuming one needs to brake at all. Not usually the case on the Coq but I do get that it has plenty of application in many situations. We know you are an unwavering fan of EVs. I assume that is all you have in your driveway.
I think that's the use case for a Hybrid, or plug in Hybrid.
That's why Ford for example has gone all in on Hybrids, they solve the range anxiety problem today.

·
Registered
10,365 Posts
I recognize the advantage of PHEV, but that is not for me either. Why do I want two propulsion systems? Even if the ICE portion is nothing more than a portable generator for the main EV. To each their own of course.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
I recognize the advantage of PHEV, but that is not for me either. Why do I want two propulsion systems? Even if the ICE portion is nothing more than a portable generator for the main EV. To each their own of course.
Well it matters what technology is being employed.
Most consumer Hybrids drive taking power from both.

As far as a ICE powering a generator to power electric drives, it's a proven technology that's got a LOT of advantages.
It actually makes a lot of sense, run a standard ICE engine at the most efficient power, and let the electrical system replace the transmission.

That's why many are are Atkinson instead of Otto engines.
Layman difference is Atkinson is more efficient, but Otto has better power characteristics for consumer vehicles.

The electric system compensates for the inherent disadvantages of the Atkinson cycle.

Locomotives and Electrohauls are one rather common use case. Of Generator -> electric drive systems

·
Registered
10,365 Posts
I was thinking perhaps 1 litre or less ICE run at constant optimum speed. Size would depend on EV size and draw too.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Keep watching, it gets to the Tesla later on!

<iframe width="660" height="371" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
I was thinking perhaps 1 litre or less ICE run at constant optimum speed. Size would depend on EV size and draw too.
That's exactly the idea, however with the mass proliferation of Turbos, you end up in a weird situation like the Ford Escape where the hybrid has the biggest engine (2.5L), vs the 1.5T & 2.0T. But it does have better fuel economy.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
As far as a ICE powering a generator to power electric drives, it's a proven technology that's got a LOT of advantages.
It actually makes a lot of sense, run a standard ICE engine at the most efficient power, and let the electrical system replace the transmission.
To me, this still makes the most sense. Provide low emission electric only city driving and extended range for highway travel. Also avoids need for added electrical infrastructure for home and commercial charging stations.

There was an experimental Jaguar C-X75- It used small efficient gas turbines to drive the generators to charge the batteries. The turbines were fueled with diesel (more or less same as jet fuel or kerosene which I would think would be preferable) Jaguar C-X75 - Wikipedia. The project was abandoned. Maybe someone will resurrect on a smaller scale.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
To me, this still makes the most sense. Provide low emission electric only city driving and extended range for highway travel. Also avoids need for added electrical infrastructure for home and commercial charging stations.

There was an experimental Jaguar C-X75- It used small efficient gas turbines to drive the generators to charge the batteries. The turbines were fueled with diesel (more or less same as jet fuel or kerosene which I would think would be preferable) Jaguar C-X75 - Wikipedia. The project was abandoned. Maybe someone will resurrect on a smaller scale.
Turbines would be nice, but atkinson engines are pretty decent, and again, no changes to infrastructure.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Turbines would be nice, but atkinson engines are pretty decent, and again, no changes to infrastructure.
The electronic valve timing on Atkinson and other modern engines adds another level of complexity. Cars are overly complicated these days with all the fuel saving and emission systems. I like the practicality of a hybrid, but not the increased complexity. That is one place where EVs should win out.

My dream car is the one in the picture in post 1265 above ;) Maybe running on hydrogen instead of diesel!

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
The electronic valve timing on Atkinson and other modern engines adds another level of complexity. Cars are overly complicated these days with all the fuel saving and emission systems. I like the practicality of a hybrid, but not the increased complexity. That is one place where EVs should win out.

My dream car is the one in the picture in post 1265 above ;) Maybe running on hydrogen instead of diesel!
Overly complicated, but massively cleaner. Though the claims in the quote don't quite add up, it's crazy.
I remember back in 2000, the improvements in car efficiency were so good they were saying things like "this car pollutes less driving, than a 20year old car sitting in the driveway".
That actually isnt' too crazy considering how bad evaporated gasoline is.

The EPA estimates that hour-for-hour, gasoline powered lawn mowers produce 11 times as much pollution as a new car. According to the EPA, each gas-powered lawn mower produces as much air pollution as 43 new automobiles driven 12,000 per year – lawn care produces 13 billion pounds of toxic pollutants per year.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
The EPA estimates that hour-for-hour, gasoline powered lawn mowers produce 11 times as much pollution as a new car. According to the EPA, each gas-powered lawn mower produces as much air pollution as 43 new automobiles driven 12,000 per year – lawn care produces 13 billion pounds of toxic pollutants per year.
Hour for hour? Our lawncare guys spend about an hour here (3/4 acres) every two weeks. Run 4 different machines, but not simultaneously. This for about 4 months of the year. Lawns and other plants remove CO2 from the air, so some payback. Driving 12000 miles on asphalt highways no payback.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Hour for hour? Our lawncare guys spend about an hour here (3/4 acres) every two weeks. Run 4 different machines, but not simultaneously. This for about 4 months of the year. Lawns and other plants remove CO2 from the air, so some payback. Driving 12000 miles on asphalt highways no payback.
I think this was before they effectively banned 2 stroke engines for most applications.
2 stroke small engines are HORRIBLE polluters.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Did you take that picture? Looking at all the tech on the bike, that was my guess :)
Over 7 years ago now. I would say +90% of cars and vans in that country were old Mercedes. They can still be repaired unlike the newer planned obsolescence models

I think this was before they effectively banned 2 stroke engines for most applications.
2 stroke small engines are HORRIBLE polluters.
Ski-Doo has done very well with 2 stroke direct injection. Not sure if that tech has translated to any other applications

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
<snip>Ski-Doo has done very well with 2 stroke direct injection. Not sure if that tech has translated to any other applications
I believe it is the new Evinrude outboards that have embraced the technology.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Over 7 years ago now. I would say +90% of cars and vans in that country were old Mercedes. They can still be repaired unlike the newer planned obsolescence models
Believe me I know! I still have one. Baby though - only done 460k km ;) It will probably outlast me.

What country was that?

There is apparently also demand for the diesel engines in 3rd world countries. Once the cars have fallen apart, they take the engines out and use them to drive water pumps.

·
Registered
12,732 Posts
Lawns don't sequester any CO2. The clippings get composted and the CO2 largely is released into the atmosphere/

1261 - 1280 of 1291 Posts