Canadian Money Forum banner

1241 - 1260 of 1291 Posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Model S is USD$85k - 120k. Lucid Air is launching at $170k, which is Taycan territory.
You want to look again, you didn't even look at the link I provided. This type of misinformation isn't useful and really ruins your credibility, meaning we can't take your posts regarding Tesla seriously.

Edit: Now if your issue is that it isn't available at launch, that's a different point altogether. If you recall, Tesla started off with their high-end models first, and was praised for that.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Oh Oh lol

...and (b) the President of the battery company was indicted months earlier over allegations that he conned NASA by using his expense account to procure numerous prostitutes.

·
Registered
12,732 Posts
You want to look again, you didn't even look at the link I provided. This type of misinformation isn't useful and really ruins your credibility, meaning we can't take your posts regarding Tesla seriously.

View attachment 20617

Edit: Now if your issue is that it isn't available at launch, that's a different point altogether. If you recall, Tesla started off with their high-end models first, and was praised for that.
Who knows what the pricing for Model S will be in three or four years when Lucid gets around (if ever) to the base model. I imagine Model S will be refreshed in that time (Musk has also mulled discontinuing, as it isn't a profit driver) which could incorporate manufacturing improvements that would lower the cost further.

I'm not faulting Lucid for the launch price. I'm just saying it is not directly competitive with Model S and is not going to be a 'Tesla killer', which is the media narrative.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Who knows what the pricing for Model S will be in three or four years when Lucid gets around (if ever) to the base model. I imagine Model S will be refreshed in that time (Musk has also mulled discontinuing, as it isn't a profit driver) which could incorporate manufacturing improvements that would lower the cost further.
The base model is aimed for 2022, so not 3 or 4 years. Musk has already been on record that the Model S won't be refreshed, but nothing about discontinuing. Elon Musk Says No To Refreshing The Tesla Model S And Model X - Is This A Big Mistake? @ Top Speed

Considering that the models are are pretty much the same chassis, there wouldn't be much difference in design. It's no different than all the different Model S versions.

As for directly competitive, I'd say the base model has similar specifications, as well as a more luxurious interior which is easier for a slight price premium.

·
Registered
10,365 Posts
A bit too much rhetoric in both directions. We know Andrew is a Tesla cheerleader of great passion so his comments need to be taken in context. It will be good to have Lucid as a competitor whenever it appears. There is eventually room for many in this space so let's cheer on the entrants. I will stand on the sidelines for a long time as we no longer drive enough to justify the EV premium to begin with.... strictly on a value basis. Time will tell.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
The Ford Mach E is targetting a 300 mile (500km) range, and is starting in the low $40k US range.
Chevy bolt has similar range and lower pricing.

Tesla has a lot of competition in both their self driving tech, and the EV Tech.

I don't understand the sky-high valuation.

·
Registered
10,365 Posts
In all fairness, a Chevy Bolt is not remotely a Tesla of any kind but your point about valuation is spot on. Investors have gotten drunk on euphoria.... We will just have to watch this play out.

P.S. I was relieved Tesla never made the S&P500 this round. That would have really put a dampener on S&P500 valuations, albeit I accept it is part of VTI.

·
Registered
12,732 Posts
A bit too much rhetoric in both directions. We know Andrew is a Tesla cheerleader of great passion so his comments need to be taken in context. It will be good to have Lucid as a competitor whenever it appears. There is eventually room for many in this space so let's cheer on the entrants. I will stand on the sidelines for a long time as we no longer drive enough to justify the EV premium to begin with.... strictly on a value basis. Time will tell.
All I know is that it won't have a material impact on Tesla's financials. Model S is not a very important product to Tesla's business. And if the market for premium EVs is growing, it's okay if Tesla's share shrinks--they basically ate Merc, Audi and BMWs lunch.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
In all fairness, a Chevy Bolt is not remotely a Tesla of any kind but your point about valuation is spot on. Investors have gotten drunk on euphoria.... We will just have to watch this play out.

P.S. I was relieved Tesla never made the S&P500 this round. That would have really put a dampener on S&P500 valuations, albeit I accept it is part of VTI.
They're competitors in price and range.
The Chevy Bolt has a insignificantly longer range than the standard range Model 3, at a lower price.

·
Registered
10,365 Posts
Driving a Bolt vs a Model 3 is like having KD as sustenance vs dining at Winston's in TO. Not that I am a fan of Tesla vehicles at all. A family member has a Model S

·
Registered
12,732 Posts
They're competitors in price and range.
The Chevy Bolt has a insignificantly longer range than the standard range Model 3, at a lower price.
I think you'll find that less important than the experience when you come to charge it. There's a reason Model 3 is outselling Bolt 5 to 1.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Driving a Bolt vs a Model 3 is like having KD as sustenance vs dining at Winston's in TO. Not that I am a fan of Tesla vehicles at all. A family member has a Model S
I wouldn't know, never drove an electric car, they don't fit my use case, though most likely my 2023 purchase will be electric.

·
Registered
17,631 Posts
It's also a demonstration of how indexes are actually actively managed, contrary to popular belief. For the S&P (both S&P 500 and TSX Composite) there is a committee which makes decisions, so there's human discretion involved.

We can all probably agree that Mawer have proven themselves to be good portfolio managers. Well over the last few years, I also realized that the S&P 500 committee have proven themselves to be good portfolio managers.

·
Registered
10,365 Posts
I don't worry about that much. "Actve" is semantics in broad based indices, akin to looking for moss in a forest.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
I wouldn't know, never drove an electric car, they don't fit my use case, though most likely my 2023 purchase will be electric.
I drove my friends Tesla model S...fit & finish a bit less than a Toyota and not in Mercedes league but has lots of get up & go. Handles very good but driver sits very low...of course I drive a Wrangler so take my opinion fwiw.

·
Registered
10,365 Posts
FWIW, EVs have lots of torque (for acceleration) across the rpm curve which is the nature of electric motors anyway. But they also seem to stress the batteries under heavy load for sustained lengths of time. For example, our family member's Model S really is diminished coming up the Coquihalla from Hope to the summit. He has to re-charge in Merritt or on the Okanagan Connector to make it over the Pennask summit and into the valley. I call it just not being ready for prime time.....yet.

·
Registered
12,732 Posts
It just takes a lot of energy to drive up a mountain. Your fuel economy in a ICE vehicle is also terrible. EVs do much better going down mountains--they don't overheat their brakes.

If there is a charging station en route, is it really a disaster? I could see the point if your daily commute included massive elevation changes. But for occasional trips? Meh...

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
It's also a demonstration of how indexes are actually actively managed, contrary to popular belief. For the S&P (both S&P 500 and TSX Composite) there is a committee which makes decisions, so there's human discretion involved.

We can all probably agree that Mawer have proven themselves to be good portfolio managers. Well over the last few years, I also realized that the S&P 500 committee have proven themselves to be good portfolio managers.

Some indexes are actively managed, some are not.
The funds themselves are passively managed though.

·
Registered
10,365 Posts
It just takes a lot of energy to drive up a mountain. Your fuel economy in a ICE vehicle is also terrible. EVs do much better going down mountains--they don't overheat their brakes.

If there is a charging station en route, is it really a disaster? I could see the point if your daily commute included massive elevation changes. But for occasional trips? Meh...
I know it takes more gas to climb a mountain but I still have 1/4-1/2 tank of gas left over for an Okanagan-Vancouver run. Why in the world would I want to stop somewhere for a 20-30 minute charge on a 380 km trip? I agree it is not relevant for commuter EVs, but some EVs will need considerably longer range for at least some uses. I will need to get similar range out of an EV to consider one for touring

EVs do have the benefit of regenerative braking on down slopes but that is assuming one needs to brake at all. Not usually the case on the Coq but I do get that it has plenty of application in many situations. We know you are an unwavering fan of EVs. I assume that is all you have in your driveway.

1241 - 1260 of 1291 Posts