Canadian Money Forum banner
2061 - 2080 of 2099 Posts

·
Registered
9,639 Posts
I don't think they're junk.
... not yet but with parts coming from China? Like every other piece of car junk. Do you think people are buying Tesla for their fancy cars collection? I think not.

Neat cars for sure, though people get into trouble with that self driving stuff (yikes).
... not sure how neat but I'm sure with the price one pays for it, they get auto this and that along with heated seat pads. I haven't got into the marketed self-driving auto-piloted delusioned crashes yet.

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
A Tesla charging lineup in California.
More Teslas in that lineup than the number of EVs GM sold last year 😂

Needing to build more chargers is a problem GM could only dream of

It's like saying Apple failed because people line up for their products

·
Registered
19,484 Posts
GM sold over 500,000 plug in vehicles in 2021. That is a 100% increase over 2020 sales.

Auto analysts say that both Ford and GM will surpass Tesla in sales by 2025.

Two of the "hottest" EV makers right now are Kia and Hyundai, and Volkswagen dominates in Europe. Chinese EV makers dominate in the Chinese market.

The EV world is fracturing into many small % of market shares, and Tesla will have a much smaller slice of the pie in the near future.

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
Kids think GM is about as cool as riding Harley Davidsons in brokeback leather chaps

TSLA taxes were structured to handle BTC losses from the start. If you didn't know what inflation, volume or liquidity is you don't know what a hedge is either

Why do you keep talking about GM in the +100 page TSLA thread anyways?

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
... I guess Tesla owners don't think time is money. I wonder if there's a nearby coffee/snackshop + bathroom? LMAO.
It's from a Tesla conference 3 years ago 😂

Why do boomers believe everything they see on social media

Probably because they believed everything on TV

·
Registered
14,959 Posts
In reality, it is the poor sods in non Tesla EVs that are at the mercy of the far inferior third party charging networks, where many stations have only a couple of stalls and can be broken for weeks. This kind of line at a Supercharger is unusual.

·
Registered
9,639 Posts
It's from a Tesla conference 3 years ago 😂

Why do boomers believe everything they see on social media

Probably because they believed everything on TV
... so what it's from 3 years ago. It did "happened", didn't it? Unlike those mythical BTCs with value of $100K / coiny (or add your own zeros) that goes "whooooooshhhhhh" overnight, no? And funny enough, the boomers believes in social media and the GENzeros don't? Do you want to re-read and re-think what you just said in your post. Btw, it's even more comical that you note it's from (aka happened at) a "TESLA" (aka happened at ) conference.

Hmmmm.... half hour is the "minimum" charge time - just enough for lunch before the need to head back to the conference. Better ring up Musk and tell him you need another hour or two charging time and see what he says..... LMAO.

·
Registered
9,639 Posts
In reality, it is the poor sods in non Tesla EVs that are at the mercy of the far inferior third party charging networks, where many stations have only a couple of stalls and can be broken for weeks. This kind of line at a Supercharger is unusual.
... hey, it happened ... at a TESLA conference ... as unusual (or it's more like the norm) as it may seem to be.

New free slogan for TESLA "You got all the time in the world if you buy our EV!!!"

·
Registered
19,484 Posts
Why do you keep talking about GM in the +100 page TSLA thread anyways?

GM sold over 500,000 plug in vehicles in 2021. That is a 100% increase over 2020 sales.

Auto analysts say that both Ford and GM will surpass Tesla in sales by 2025.

Two of the "hottest" EV makers right now are Kia and Hyundai, and Volkswagen dominates in Europe. Chinese EV makers dominate in the Chinese market.

The EV world is fracturing into many small % of market shares, and Tesla will have a much smaller slice of the pie in the near future.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Other companies will definitely eat into the market share of Tesla. It will be interesting to see how the ICE competitors evolve over time. Honda's and Toyota's that were seen as reliable for so many years, will that continue to be the same?

Let's not underestimate Tesla's early advantage to being first to market. Being vertically integrated, having the largest charging network, and a cult like following.

I test drove the Chevrolet EUV this weekend. It is one of the more inexpensive Electric Vehicles you can buy on the market. It's about $20,000 cheaper than the Tesla too (starting at nearly 40K CAD). I would compare it to an ASUS computer, meanwhile the Model 3 being a Mac. Although I am not the target market for the car, they at least had a car to test drive and inventory on hand unlike the Hyundai, Ford, etc.

·
Registered
70 Posts
... hey, it happened ... at a TESLA conference ... as unusual (or it's more like the norm) as it may seem to be.

New free slogan for TESLA "You got all the time in the world if you buy our EV!!!"
When I had to fill up my minivan I went to my normal gas station...it was 1 cent cheaper than the one across the street and there was a 10 min wait because of the line up and people went inside for the bathroom, smokes or whatever. With my Tesla, I go home and plug in which is more than 95% of the time. Sure my trips from Ottawa to Toronto take longer, but for some weird reason it's a lot less stressful than before due to autopilot (not full self driving). I also fully acknowledge that road trips longer than 5 hours will require more planning and that an EV isn't for everyone. You won't totally understand how owning a Tesla (maybe even any EV) will change your perception of driving and gassing up until you own and drive one.

Also, during the power outage in Ottawa in May, ironically, I was stuck searching for gas stations while the supercharger was fully functional and I knew it because the car knew it's status.

EDIT: I do have fears that crappy non-Tesla chargers with not enough stalls and fragmented market will give EV charging a bad experience. Even Tesla owners sometimes get confused between a destination (L2 charger) and a Supercharger. Some think they can charge up to full in 20 min at home.

As for the stock, TSLA is more than just a car company. They make batteries, solar panels, charging network and heck they can also license out it's software.

·
Registered
9,639 Posts
^ I don't drive as I let others do which mean neither gasoline nor (super)charging costs/lineups matter to me.

HOWEVER, I do remember that years ago electrical cars would have saved a ton of money while them same electrical batteries (lithium) were a no-go given they weren't strong enough. Never mind about the "concern" about the eventual landfill batteries-pollution.

So here we are ... EVs is the future as with their positive landfills pollution. Talk about having it both ways by the same yappers.

·
Registered
70 Posts
^ I don't drive as I let others do which mean neither gasoline nor (super)charging costs/lineups matter to me.

HOWEVER, I do remember that years ago electrical cars would have saved a ton of money while them same electrical batteries (lithium) were a no-go given they weren't strong enough. Never mind about the "concern" about the eventual landfill batteries-pollution.

So here we are ... EVs is the future as with their positive landfills pollution. Talk about having it both ways by the same yappers.
I do have fears that EV batteries will be like CFL light bulb disposal if not handled properly. If you read the warnings on what happens when you break a CFL bulb it felt you needed to put on a hazmat suit.

Read it here:

·
Registered
14,959 Posts

If you visit the average Supercharger station, they tend to have maybe 1 or 2 of the 8 stalls occupied. Tesla is adding more, and larger, stations in markets where they have a lot of cars in the market. California has many stations, and Tesla is regularly building more, some with 50+ stalls. Your point is like saying flying is insane because you can take one picture of a crazy security line on Christmas Eve. Unless you are trying to drive >400kms in a day you never even need to visit a charger, and even then it would have to be on a peak day.

This photo is a several year old anecdote.

·
Registered
14,959 Posts

Lithium ion was too expensive, not 'not strong enough'. They have come down by more than 10x in price over the past decade or so. In terms of waste, the battery packs have second life potential in stationary storage after they become less suitable for vehicle use (losing 20% of pack capacity due to degradation). So, most automotive battery packs could have a life of 20+ years. Those that do need to be disposed of will tend to be recycled as the components of batteries have high value. Lots of companies are innovating in the battery recycling space but the market is still very small as few EVs have reached end of life.

2061 - 2080 of 2099 Posts