Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1298 Posts

·
Registered
12,767 Posts
This isn't even the most interesting thing Musk is working on. SpaceX is way more important, if he succeeds. Plenty of other people are working on electric cars, but only Musk seems to be getting anywhere with reducing cost to orbit.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
I'll be tuning in later tonight to see what they unveil. I read Model X will be an SUV and cost around $60K.

I really hope all electric takes off this time, this will change the world in a huge good way.

·
Registered
12,767 Posts
I think Tesla is interesting enough. It will take many years for them to make much of a dent in the huge car industry. SpaceX is well positioned to run away with the space launch industry. The Space Shuttle was enormously expensive, costing $10,000 / lb of payload to low earth orbit. SpaceX is on track to reduce that to $1400. Musk even talks about being able to get it down to $500 or eventually $100/lb. Big things happen when you can improve the economics of an activity by orders of magnitude.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Colour me impressed on the Model X:

"Model X is offered with optional Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive. The second motor enables more than all-weather, all-road capabilities: it increases torque by 50%. When outfitted with AWD, Model X Performance accelerates from 0 to 60 mph in less than 5 seconds, outperforming the fastest SUVs and many sports cars"

"Production begins late 2013 with significant delivers in early 2014"

Whenever 2nd gen of Model S is out, I think I'll be shopping for one.

·
Registered
12,767 Posts
The Model S is pretty cool. If I were rich(er), I would consider one. Using electricity rather than gasoline lowers the total cost of ownership by a good $20k over the life of a car.

·
Registered
12,767 Posts
I don't understand. If he believed it would fail, why would he invest in it? Tesla isn't his whole fortune either. His stake in SpaceX is worth nearly $1 billion.

·
Registered
12,767 Posts
http://www.redorbit.com/news/space/1112472934/spacex-could-go-public-in-2013/

“He owns a 26 percent stake in Tesla valued at more than $650 million, after adjusting for collateralized shares. His 25 percent stake in SolarCity would be valued at $375 million at the valuation the company is seeking,” Ohnsman said. “Musk owns more than 70 million shares of closely held rocket maker SpaceX. Recent transactions in the private market have pegged his stake in SpaceX at about $875 million.”

·
Registered
10,218 Posts
Not falling as much as I wanted. I guess article from crappy source only gives you a 5%. I wish it started from WSJ, so I can get a 10% or 15%.

*edit: At the bottom channel. I am happy now. Please break through that support.
Even better on Google Finance :)
IMHO this "game" will be until July :)
Causalien , in your opinion WTI price gonna impact TSLA price? I mean higher crude oil , higher TSLA?

·
Registered
12,767 Posts
Interesting about Tesla's bricking problem. Insurance seems like a reasonable way to address this problem for now, (with a high enough deductible so that it still stings). It would seem to me that Tesla ought to be able to make some changes to address these problems, perhaps a panic mode where the car shuts off its subsystems to conserve power. After all, many other Li-Ion devices survive for long periods without bricking. One would hope the company was clever enough to address this problem before selling tens of thousands of cars.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Tesla just responded to that bricking issue, the computer does seem to have alerts and self-preservation features, so they insinuate those bricking incidents are a case of neglect http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/plug-it

Model S battery parked with 50 percent charge would approach full discharge only after about 12 months. Model S batteries also have the ability to protect themselves as they approach very low charge levels by going into a “deep sleep” mode that lowers the loss even further. A Model S will not allow its battery to fall below about 5 percent charge. At that point the car can still sit for many months. Of course you can drive a Model S to 0 percent charge, but even in that circumstance, if you plug it in within 30 days, the battery will recover normally.

All cars require a certain amount of attention to perform properly. If you drive a gasoline engine with no oil it will fail completely and need to be replaced. The same happens if you drive without sufficient coolant or a broken fan belt and don’t heed the warning signs displayed by the car. At Tesla, we provide many redundant visual and audible warnings if your battery ever needs attention. And from Roadster 2.0 and beyond, your Tesla can even let us know it needs your attention. If that happens, we simply contact you and suggest you charge your car.

·
Registered
12,767 Posts
Well, that does sound like they have the problem sorted. For PR purposes, they should probably offer the replacement battery packs at a subsidized rate. Stories about spending $40k to replace a battery, no matter how rare or how much a result of negligence, will scare the bejesus out of potential buyers, which might keep them from the the dealer where Tesla can get a chance to clarify the situation.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
They're opening a Tesla dealership in Yorkdale mall in Toronto soon. Also, when I was on vacation in Copenhagen I saw a Tesla dealership there. Copenhagen is really an ideal place for them, because there are plug-in parking spots provided by the city on the streets, reserved for electric cars only. It made me think of buying the stock, but it seems above my usual risk tolerance.

1 - 20 of 1298 Posts