Canadian Money Forum banner

201 - 220 of 247 Posts

·
Registered
13,240 Posts
Shall we recall the Parliament hill attack, when Harper had to hide in a closet?

It was a lone wolf, not a mob, but it goes to show our security is rather lax.

·
Registered
19,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #202 (Edited)
You know, he is not wrong.
Actually, he is wrong. The item is newsworthy because it's an outlandishly stupid thing to say - and he's being ridiculed for it.

The man you cite has a wild conspiracy theory about the Capitol hill terrorists actually being antifa. Is this the kind of person you look up to and take your cues from? In your mind, is he telling you reality?

He's either lying, or is crazy. These are the conspiracy theory driven beliefs which have been the backbone of MAGA and the far right for the last few years. @Ukrainiandude you must do yourself a favour and stop getting information from conspiracy theorists and lunatics.

Brainwashed right wingers have this obsession with fictional "dangerous lefties" everywhere. That's called being out of touch with reality, blinded by ideology.

·
Registered
19,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #203 (Edited)
I monitor a few far-right discussion groups to watch what MAGA is up to. I've watched the deterioration in their mental health over the last 5 years or so. Many of the people posting on the groups I monitor are older men, seemingly over 60.

Here's what MAGA currently thinks:

Many of them now believe that the Capitol attack wasn't really carried out by MAGA but by left wing impostors. They have elaborate, rambling conspiracies about how this is really part of a plot by the radical left and Democrats. They remain firmly focused on the 'radical left' as the primary enemy of America, and believe they are plotting nefarious things. Extremist media outlets carry this narrative as well.

And some of you reading this believe it too. I know you do. There are at least 3 active members here who are on board with these conspiracy theories.

MAGA cult members really are delusional. It's important to realize this so you can understand what's going on with characters like Gaetz.

·
Registered
14,014 Posts
Antifa/.BLM.....caused riot ? I can't recall seeing black people in the crowd of rioters.

This was more like a white supremacy riot than anything else. Racial tensions have always simmered below the surface in America.

As to comparing the Washington Capital to the German capital, Germany has very strict laws against white nationalist (Nazis) symbols or rhetoric.

The US is going to have to pass the same kind of hate speech laws as elsewhere in the world. Their "unlimited" free speech is a failure.

·
Registered
14,014 Posts
A funny thing I read about is called "catfishing" and involves women joining dating websites and claiming they are MAGA supporters and conservatives in their bio. They change their geo-location and register with fake names and pictures.

Then they start "troll fishing" for male MAGA followers and start chats with them. They lure them into disclosing personal information and even get them to send videos and pictures of them at the Capital riot and disclosing future plans for their white nationalist groups and setup a "date"......oh you big brave warrior man.....

Then the women forward all the information to the FBI. Instead of meeting up with their "date", the MAGA boys end up meeting FBI agents.

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
A funny thing I read about is called "catfishing" and involves women joining dating websites and claiming they are MAGA supporters and conservatives in their bio. They change their geo-location and register with fake names and pictures.

Then they start "troll fishing" for male MAGA followers and start chats with them. They lure them into disclosing personal information and even get them to send videos and pictures of them at the Capital riot and disclosing future plans for their white nationalist groups and setup a "date"......oh you big brave warrior man.....

Then the women forward all the information to the FBI. Instead of meeting up with their "date", the MAGA boys end up meeting FBI agents.
A funny thing called entrapment?

If these "catfishers" are inciting violence, they should be prosecuted.

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
They remain firmly focused on the 'radical left' as the primary enemy of America, and believe they are plotting nefarious things. Extremist media outlets carry this narrative as well.
I wouldn't say nefarious, I'd say they have very bad plans.
The plans are public.

Read
joebiden.com
the Green New Deal.

I don't believe any of that crazy conspiracy stuff, but I do believe when they put out campaign plans, they are being honest with what they want to achieve.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I think the FBI shouldn’t Arrest anyone until Wednesday afternoon. Don’t want Trump issuing pardons to these terrorists before he leaves.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
^ At this point, don't think Trump cares about issuing any pardons to anyone other than himself. Which in itself will be very interesting if he does.

·
Registered
167 Posts
We know Trump's tweets certainly inspire his supports to rally but who was it that actually did the organizing of today's insurrection?

Why was the Washington Police presence so sparse even after the warning from the Mayor? Why were the barricades so flimsy? Who knew that the Congress security guards were unarmed? (Reminder that security in the Parliament Building in Ottawa was armed and did kill an intruder.) Why wasn't the Congress building protected like the White House is? Some insider must have known.
The FBI is investigating some leads. One of the organizers of Stop-the-Steal said a Republican official had given him some sort of instruction or tour. There's also a video during the break-in of a woman yelling directions through a bullhorn to her fellow insurgents how to get to the House Chambers - and it sounds like she has a lot of details.

Of course, the usual people on this thread will just shrug it off and state that it was nothing out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
19,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #214
The FBI is investigating some leads. One of the organizers of Stop-the-Steal said a Republican official had given him some sort of instruction or tour. There's also a video during the break-in of a woman yelling directions through a bullhorn to her fellow insurgents how to get to the House Chambers - and it sounds like she has a lot of details.
Very concerning. All of this is organized by certain characters, and I hope the FBI and DoJ can figure out who is making this stuff happen and put a stop to it.

This is just my theory of course, but I don't think average Trump voters are motivated to do these insurrections and try to overthrow governments. I think there are instigators; someone is whipping up MAGA people to extremism.

I think far right terrorism is going to continue for a while -- I expect many more attacks in the coming years. But I suspect the blame lies with the relatively small number of extremists. This is usually how extremism works anyway. The violent extremists (true insurrections who want to overthrow the USA) will hide among the larger number of MAGA people, which gives them cover.

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
Very concerning. All of this is organized by certain characters, and I hope the FBI and DoJ can figure out who is making this stuff happen and put a stop to it.

This is just my theory of course, but I don't think average Trump voters are motivated to do these insurrections and try to overthrow governments. I think there are instigators; someone is whipping up MAGA people to extremism.

I think far right terrorism is going to continue for a while -- I expect many more attacks in the coming years. But I suspect the blame lies with the relatively small number of extremists. This is usually how extremism works anyway. The violent extremists (true insurrections who want to overthrow the USA) will hide among the larger number of MAGA people, which gives them cover.
I agree with all of that.
I just hope that it doesn't turn into a McCarthian witch hunt.

·
Registered
19,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #216
I agree with all of that.
I just hope that it doesn't turn into a McCarthian witch hunt.
True. That's a tough balance. But US law enforcement has plenty of experience with far right terrorism, and the FBI and DHS have significant expertise there. America has struggled with this stuff for a long time.

I am worried for Americans (and for us too by the way). I suspect there will be political assassinations in the coming years. The far right has already assassinated politicians in the UK and Germany. There have been a couple attempts now in the US so the threat level is very high.

I don't agree with arguments such as "74 million Trump voters will all support chaos". But if the troublemakers behind the scenes remain active and continue to operate, then yes, they can continue to cause a lot of chaos.

·
Registered
167 Posts
True. That's a tough balance. But US law enforcement has plenty of experience with far right terrorism, and the FBI and DHS have significant expertise there. America has struggled with this stuff for a long time.

I am worried for Americans (and for us too by the way). I suspect there will be political assassinations in the coming years. The far right has already assassinated politicians in the UK and Germany. There have been a couple attempts now in the US so the threat level is very high.

I don't agree with arguments such as "74 million Trump voters will all support chaos". But if the troublemakers behind the scenes remain active and continue to operate, then yes, they can continue to cause a lot of chaos.
McCarthyism was based on paranoia which ended after Joseph Welch made his famous remark. This FBI investigation is based on a real event that was recorded by the perpetrators themselves even.

·
Registered
5,388 Posts

I don't think 70 million Trump voters support chaos, and I don't think 70 million Biden voters support the destruction and re-engingeering of society either.

The problem is that some people seem okay to be entirely dismissive of half the country and their concerns.

When people feel that democratic means won't work, they'll move to other means, that's why the level of hostility has been increasing.

·
Registered
19,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #219
When people feel that democratic means won't work, they'll move to other means, that's why the level of hostility has been increasing.
This is not the core reason. Trump (their man) has been in power for the last 4 years and the anger & violence of the far right has only increased. The activity level of extremists increased dramatically during Trump's years -- clearly it was not a dissatisfaction of democratic processes, otherwise it would have gone in the reverse direction and they would have calmed down, relieved and pleased that someone they want is in power.

You're misreading all of this. They (extremists) were plotting "civil war" shortly after Trump was elected in 2016 and were again talking strongly about it even before the 2020 election.

You are actually buying into the narrative that is pushed by the far right extremists.

·
Registered
99 Posts
You gotta love cnn band wagon.
what exactly is shocking to the video? People walked in, no damage to the surrounding, no beating of guard, took few pictures and left. Yes many of the f... word, but hey it’s not censored on any Netflix or holliwood either.

Vs burned to the ground police quarters in MN

201 - 220 of 247 Posts