Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 20 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't see another thread, so forgive me if this isn't 'news', but a note in WebBroker today:

"Coming Soon: New US$ Registered Account Component (RSPs & TFSAs)

We're pleased to let you know that, by the end of November 2014, we will automatically add a new U.S. dollar account component to your existing Retirement Savings Plan (RSP) and/or Tax-Free Savings Account (TFSA). You will then be able to:

Maintain US$ cash balances and settle your U.S. trades in U.S. dollars
Have US$ dividends and interest paid directly to your account in U.S. dollars
Here's what you can expect

There's nothing you need to do in advance. Your online access to the new account component will remain the same, and we'll automatically transfer your US$ assets and related Dividend Reinvestment Plan registrations to the new US$ component.

Stay tuned for more details as we approach our launch date!"

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
I'd bet that this date will be postponed :) in any case , too late for me, in CIBC enjoying FX BoC spot rates
I just spoke with a TDW rep this afternoon and he confirmed the expected date to be in November of this year. However, he was not about to place a guarantee on the launch but he felt that since he hasn't heard of any delay statements from head office that the US$ accounts will likely be a go come November. They called me today to try and peddle their TDW financial planning services - "do you know that we offer special services for customers like you, etc.". Sure, why not attach a MER of 2-3% to my portfolio to help pay your salaries and bonuses! Not going to happen. They probably weren't too happy to see me recently transferring a good chucnk of change to some of their competitors.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
It will be good because your USD can stay in USD and not be converted to CAD at stupid Forex rates. That said, TD's workaround on this was pretty functional and it won't be good news, as livewell points out, if they somehow manage to screw up the ability to do Norbert's gambit to easily convert CAD to USD and vice versa. Hoping this won't be the case, as their major competitors have managed to make the process seemless (long, long ago!!).

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
1. Hopefully the gambit will work just like it does currently with our RRSP/TFSA accounts.
i.e. TD will let us sell the stock immediately on the US market.

2. But, I'm worried that the gambit will work just like TD's non-registered account.
i.e. We'll need to wait three business days (T+3) for the stock trade to settle on the Canadian-dollar side of the account, before asking TD to "journal" the shares to the US-dollar side.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
This is good news. I'm with TDDI and have been wishing for $US registered accounts.

For those that already have $US trading in RRSP, can anyone tell me if there are any restrictions on making contributions in $US? I have a good deal of $US already on hand, and I would like to use some of it for my RRSP contribution this year. I'd kind-of assumed I would be buying something and contributing it in-kind, but just sticking the money in there would be convenient.

1 - 20 of 183 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.