Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so what do all think.

CC does not seem overly impressed over on his blog. Has valid concerns.

myself i think it looks well-engineered. Whether function lives up isn't yet known. Looks like e-service only, though. Want paper statements ? print em yourself.

my chief concern would be the currency exchange rates. I haven't checked em but my guess would be that these are far from forex wholesale rates and instead are only perhaps slightly better - but not a whole lot better - than rates quoted by td bank to retail bank customers.

also guessing here, but i'd imagine that only a selection of stocks from each of the 10 foreign exchanges is available on this platform. The more liquid stocks. I believe this is also the case with IB. However IB's forex rates may be a whole lot better.

the td global commish appear to be competitive-to-low. Client can get trading alerts sent to his mobile. Is all of this going to fly ? i'd say yes.

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
so what do all think.

my chief concern would be the currency exchange rates. I haven't checked em but my guess would be that these are far from forex wholesale rates and instead are only perhaps slightly better - but not a whole lot better - than rates quoted by td bank to retail bank customers.

also guessing here, but i'd imagine that only a selection of stocks from each of the 10 foreign exchanges is available on this platform. The more liquid stocks. I believe this is also the case with IB. However IB's forex rates may be a whole lot better.

the td global commish appear to be competitive-to-low. Client can get trading alerts sent to his mobile. Is all of this going to fly ? i'd say yes.
Here's my take on TD's Global Trading that humble_pie is referring to.

TD Waterhouse Introduces Global Trading

I'm indexed, so I don't see myself personally needing this account. I can get all the broad market exposure I want through ETFs trading in the US. But as Sampson pointed out stock investors may be interested in accessing foreign stock markets.

I suspect as well that forex spreads will be higher than USD-CAD spreads and we won't have the humble_pie's neat trick to save on forex commissions. One more caution is tax treatment. Investors accessing foreign markets will become very familiar with tax treaties with foreign countries. There will be different withholding tax rates on dividends and capital gains (?) to contend with as well.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts