Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
just talked to td waterhouse about my account and fees etc

just a heads up, td waterhouse will be billing trades at $9.95 if you have 50K (instead of a 100K) and sign up for electronic statements

·
Banned
967 Posts
$10 is still too much for me. Trading commission eat away about 0.50% of my portfolio every year. I must switch to a lower cost alternative.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Fees are often negotiable. The larger your account, the more negotiable they are!!!

Currently, a $4.95 trading fee for accounts worth in excess of $500 thousand should be negotiable. This doesn't necessarily have to all be in one account but could be family assets over several accounts in the same institution.

Does anyone out there currently pay a lower trading fee than that?

·
Banned
81 Posts
Honestly the lowest fee ive ever seen at even a discount broker is 4.95$ per trade. TD is most likely the only large canadian bank to offer a decent trading price without having 100k+ in assets.

I guarentee you Canada most likely wont see really cheap commisions for a very long time...if ever. Kinda like how we have outrageous mutual fund fees :p lawl. Canada just tends to me more exspensive in some aspects I guess...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Currently, a $4.95 trading fee for accounts worth in excess of $500 thousand should be negotiable. This doesn't necessarily have to all be in one account but could be family assets over several accounts in the same institution.
Is this confirmed?

·
Banned
77 Posts
Just my opinion...

After shopping around for a new broker in the last few months i came to the conclusion that TD is the best offer out there.

Sure, Questrade offer 4.95$ per trade but their support dont even come close to what TD offer

IB fee's are even lowest than Questrade, however, no registered account (RRSP, TFSA, etc) are available. IB is probably the best choice for active traders but dont fit well for buy and hold passive investors.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
historically the big green never let any other firm get ahead of it; and thus it used to follow e-trade down in commish price cuts.

now that e-trade has resurfaced as scotia i-trade, and i-trade is asking for only 50k to secure the under-$10 commish, of course td had to follow. I'd expect that all the remaining bank onliners will go down like kingpins.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Speaking of big green, anyone know what's happening with TDW and Thinkorswim? I would make that switch in a heart beat.

·
Banned
678 Posts
Fees are often negotiable. The larger your account, the more negotiable they are!!!

Does anyone out there currently pay a lower trading fee than that?
Belguy:

At which brokerage do you think this applies??

Please be specific, especially if you are sure.

thanks,

·
Banned
81 Posts
Just my opinion...

After shopping around for a new broker in the last few months i came to the conclusion that TD is the best offer out there.

Sure, Questrade offer 4.95$ per trade but their support dont even come close to what TD offer

IB fee's are even lowest than Questrade, however, no registered account (RRSP, TFSA, etc) are available. IB is probably the best choice for active traders but dont fit well for buy and hold passive investors.
Ive heard many bad things about Questrade, although ive also heard many good things. I can honestly say though that most of the stories ive heard is that sometimes they screw around with your money and ocasionally there are random charges on your investing account that they try to "sneak" through etc.

I honestly decided to go with Qtrade because of all the tools/research they offer. Yes their commision is higher at 20$ per trade but its still lower than the banks. Also once you do hit 100k in assets if you trade less than 30 trades a quarter (which is active trader status, works out to min 10 trades a month) then they lower the commision to 10$.

I cant say much about Qtrade YET as I am still waiting for my account to be open but I will let you know if Qtrade is good, as I do know that the Globe and Mail have rated it as #1 broker overall for a few years (I think).

I have to say though I have not been able to find many people that have used them, so I am not sure what to think.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
it's still unofficial. But they say - unofficially - that thinkorswim personnel are already physically present at tdw canada. They sit with the tdw reps but they have their own groups, pods, offices, etc. Rumour says the plan may be for them to open for business under their own logo, but they'd use the big green infrastructure.

please what's so great that you'd go for them in a heartbeat ...

·
Registered
875 Posts
Options is my thing, especially income generating spreads that are theta positive. TOS has the infrastructure to facilitate trading and analysis of options in one platform.

Also, if one assumes that options are a zero sum game, then covered calls and naked puts would produce improved risk-adjusted returns. Alpha would be zero, but the standard deviation of returns would be lower than the market, thus improving risk-adjusted returns.

it's still unofficial. But they say - unofficially - that thinkorswim personnel are already physically present at tdw canada. They sit with the tdw reps but they have their own groups, pods, offices, etc. Rumour says the plan may be for them to open for business under their own logo, but they'd use the big green infrastructure.

please what's so great that you'd go for them in a heartbeat ...

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
People keep asking me where I obtain a $4.95 trading fee for my family's portfolios, all of which I have trading priviledges on and which exceed $500,000 in total.

I receive this from CIBC Investors Edge Discount Brokerage.

Now, they will likely take it away from me for blabbing it around.:eek:

And so, please keep it to yourselves!!!;)

I agree with those who say that a five dollar difference in trading fees should be no big deal for most investors who would do well to keep their trading volume to a minimum anyway. I probably only trade a half dozen times a year on average.

Buy, hold, and prosper.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts