Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an RRSP account with TD Mutual Funds and I am thinking to open an e-series account as well (I asked a question about converting a while back, havent got the time to actually do it). The e-series account will also be an RRSP

I still have some questions about TD Mutual Funds vs E-series though:

• I want to open an e-series account, should I keep my current TD Mutual Funds separate or should I just use the convert option and convert my TD Mutual Funds to e-series?

• What's the different between holding TD Mutual Funds RRSP outside e-series and inside e-series?

• What's really the point / advantage converting my current TD Mutual Funds RRSP into an e-series RRSP account?

• As far as I understand e-series simply have different choices of funds with lower MER than TD Mutual Funds? Thus, even if I convert TD Mutual Funds into e-series, I'll still have the same funds that I already have under the TD Mutual Funds and still have the same MERs?
Thanks!

·
Registered
274 Posts
TD's e-series are simply funds you buy and sell online, that's where the "e" comes from. That is also why the fees are lower, which of course would be the only reason to switch. Assuming you have enough invested for it to be worthwhile yes you should go ahead and do it.

You would simply convert your "regular" I-series TD funds into the equivalent e-series funds. It would defeat the purpose to continue to hold the higher priced funds... since that's the whole point of switching.

Same funds lower cost. Not able to walk into a bank or any other brokerage and trade them or even get a question answered about them... since it's online, though you can phone an 800# if you need to.

BTW, mutual fund queries belong in the "Investing" forum which is right below this one...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts