Canadian Money Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Honestly, you should just ignore all chequing accounts except the all-inclusive banking plan. It's the only one that doesn't have built-in rip-offs. You just need to keep the $5000 minimum balance to wave all fees. This is easy to justify if you consider that money as part of your emergency fund.

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
Honestly, you should just ignore all chequing accounts except the all-inclusive banking plan. It's the only one that doesn't have built-in rip-offs. You just need to keep the $5000 minimum balance to wave all fees. This is easy to justify if you consider that money as part of your emergency fund.
Yeah, but $30/month if the balance drops, that's nuts.
I might shift to everyday checking. I hate all this messing around.
$3k

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
Free premium Visa card ($120/yr value), free safety deposit box, free bank drafts I think are the main ones.
For the safety deposit box, might be worth it.

The "premium visa", not worth it IMO.
Costco MC has better rewards and it's free with my Costco membership.
Also the Free TD Rewards visa is pretty good.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
For the safety deposit box, might be worth it.

The "premium visa", not worth it IMO.
Costco MC has better rewards and it's free with my Costco membership.
Also the Free TD Rewards visa is pretty good.
some varieties of td Premium visas also include road side assistance, travel insurance and extended warranty protection on purchases, the road side assistance and travel insurance were big seeking features when I worked there. For those able and willing to set aside $5k, they offer some pretty good benefits.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Got my letter and EasyWeb secure message today regarding my Preferred Chequing account. It never gets below $5,000 so not a problem for me. I'll just have to remember to keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
I usually keep mine around 35K-40K, so the change won't affect me, but I see this as another tactic to get all of us with grandfathered Preferred chequing accounts to switch to a new fancy account.
ltr

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Meh, it's walking around cash. Zero return is fine for the convenience.

ltr
The high end account has features I use. No fee non-td atms. No fee foreign US ATM. Free premium credit card which in turn can give you free travel medical insurance, free roadside car service, extended warranty protection, free SDB.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
The high end account has features I use. No fee non-td atms. No fee foreign US ATM. Free premium credit card which in turn can give you free travel medical insurance, free roadside car service, extended warranty protection, free SDB.
Yep, and everyone is different. I haven't used an ATM in at least a decade, especially a foreign one. I don't need travel insurance since I don't travel, etc, etc. Everyone is different.

ltr

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 · (Edited)
Yes, there are other accounts with lower minimum balance you can switch to. However, it's only a matter of time those minimums will increase too.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I too usually keep >$5000, and the All-inclusive is tempting with a TD Visa Infinite Cash Back card (3% cash back on groceries/gas). But then, my main grocery store doesn't accept Visa, and there's a minimum income of $60000 to get it.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I too usually keep >$5000, and the All-inclusive is tempting with a TD Visa Infinite Cash Back card (3% cash back on groceries/gas). But then, my main grocery store doesn't accept Visa, and there's a minimum income of $60000 to get it.
That minimum income is a flexible policy.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts