Canadian Money Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Saw this today. Found it interesting and funny. (TD is the 4th most followed stock on Google Finance after AAPL, TSLA, GOOGL and before AMZN, MSFT, lol...)

·
Registered
24,281 Posts
Saw this today. Found it interesting and funny. (TD is the 4th most followed stock on Google Finance after AAPL, TSLA, GOOGL and before AMZN, MSFT, lol...)
Have you considered a portfolio approach that follows Google Finance's Most Followed? This would be similar to the new BUZZ etf but easier to implement yourself.

The trailing 6 month return of that list is +30% which is pretty strong. You'd want to perform a live test to see how it works in practice. And even better if many people get the same idea, because it effectively becomes an auto-stock-pump. Works until it doesn't, probably.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts

·
Registered
3,036 Posts

big chunk of change. IIRC, TD paid $8B for Canada Trust.

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
TD Banks are closing where I live (US) to become Tesla supercharger parking lots. The pandemic forced granny to learn how to bank online. The legacy banks are not the best online banks. Legacy banks in the US serve an aging population

FinTech is booming in the US. SoFi Technologies had to buy a legacy brand bank just to become a "real" bank. So maybe TD can sell it to a company that uses something besides retired COBOL coders someday. Kind of like how legacy local TV stations sold for $$$ just for their frequency rights

"SoFi Technologies, Inc. (“SoFi”), the digital personal finance company, today announced that the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) and the Federal Reserve have approved its applications to become a Bank Holding Company through its proposed acquisition of Golden Pacific Bancorp, Inc., and operate its bank subsidiary as SoFi Bank, National Association. SoFi expects the acquisition to close in February, subject to completion or waiver of the remaining customary closing conditions."

·
Registered
86 Posts
Would rapidly rising bank of canada rates cause the big cdn banks stock prices to go up or down? Starting to look like a good time to grab a large position in TD. It is just that every time I think this the stock drops way more lol. I know it is always a good time to grab bank stocks and was wondering what peoples thoughts are now that less loans and mortgages will be handed out over the next couple years and how that will affect profits With TD.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I'm buying a little at a time, on lows.
TD has many assets in the US, so they may be more impacted by drops in US market - not sure tho.
My approach is to average down as much as possible. I bought at 77.5, and the next buy will be a bigger one at 70, then 65...then 60 etc.

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
Have you considered a portfolio approach that follows Google Finance's Most Followed? This would be similar to the new BUZZ etf but easier to implement yourself.

The trailing 6 month return of that list is +30% which is pretty strong. You'd want to perform a live test to see how it works in practice. And even better if many people get the same idea, because it effectively becomes an auto-stock-pump. Works until it doesn't, probably.
I often use google trends to see what people are actively searching

Combined with other data and understanding why things are trending and how it can impact price it can be very powerful

I would never use "followers" or "subscribers" because they are useless the way it works (following doesn't mean they actually are)

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
I'm buying a little at a time, on lows.
TD has many assets in the US, so they may be more impacted by drops in US market - not sure tho.
My approach is to average down as much as possible. I bought at 77.5, and the next buy will be a bigger one at 70, then 65...then 60 etc.
Local TD banks have been closing in the US

Also US traditional banks are extremely archaic. My Canadian counterpart just learned to write a check at 35 to pay rent. Never had to in Canada. Lots of gas stations still use magnetic swipes etc

At the same time FitTech is taking off in the US but you still have older generation holding on to checks and dusty banks

41 - 51 of 51 Posts