Canadian Money Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
This thread was interesting to read back, jason26, did you end up buying? It is below the $80 mark. I thought the same, as a month ago, I would have been happy to buy less than $80, and was more than happyto buy some in the $70's....

I am also curious to see at what parice/time, some of these (CIBC, TD) will do a share split.....perhaps when they consistently trade in the $90 mark?....

Although what consistently trades at any price these days...

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Thanks humble, once I wrap up my degree I'm thinking of taking the CFA route to become a buy-side analyst or if it all goes robo an IT person to maintain the HFT platforms. I've had a few sales and customer service jobs but was never really thrilled about them. I don't think I could be successful on a banks retail front.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Thanks humble, once I wrap up my degree I'm thinking of taking the CFA route to become a buy-side analyst or if it all goes robo an IT person to maintain the HFT platforms. I've had a few sales and customer service jobs but was never really thrilled about them. I don't think I could be successful on a banks retail front.
They do recruit right out of school which is how I got my foot in the door. You can move up very quickly if you stand out from the crowd.

Send me a PM if you want more detail into the process.

·
Registered
926 Posts
7 years.. hmm.. wonder how long I'll be with TD. Hey Abha, what position in the company should I target? I'm not really an aggressive salesman. And I don't care about lending. Just pure investing. They should probably peg me as senior gold analyst or something. I can't see myself moving to Ontario at all. Vancouver is a decent option out here though. I wish TD would expand in the western US because I could see myself down there too.
Argo, what do you do with TD right now?

Ddkay, are you doing a finance degree right now or something in computer science? I can't see the markets going anything close to robo any time soon, but there still is a huge demand for someone with a command of both financial markets and computer programming. By volume HFTs are a huge proportion of trades, but the actual amount of capital employed is tiny by comparison. Obviously if I move $1 in and out of 100 positions in a minute, it seems like I'm working with a lot more money than I actually am.
I wouldn't say HFTs are a thread to traditional asset managers, I'd say low MER ETFs and such are the real threats.

I think buy-side would be really cool in that you actually get to see your decisions/work put into motion. I'm working on the sell-side which is also really sweet, but our work stops with a recommendation, so there isn't the whole portfolio management side of things which I really find interesting.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
@Dmoney, I'm not in CompSci, I'm actually not very good at software programming. I'm more of a hardware person - managing enterprise infrastructure like routers, switches, etc. I can get by with shell scripting/perl/tcl for that.

However, due to the nature of IT, I'd have to renew my certifications every 3 years. If I'm hopefully employed my company should cover the expenses of continuously writing new exams.

AFAIK the same is not true of CFA Level I-III charters, so I'd only have to write those once. It's initially much less capital intensive than an MBA, but it should be relatively easy to find a starting job in the $50-60K salary range.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Hey,

I am a little confused as to what TD is paying out for a dividend. On some webpages I see .47C and on others I see .86C.

What is the current dividend? I usually look at the globe and mail, but I have seen several inconsistency's on many sites.

·
Registered
419 Posts

·
Registered
1,603 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
We already went through this crap in the other TD thread. I don't think they have actually filed they are looking to sign shareholders up to do it. Like above it's just noise

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
I'd buy it, but I'm a huge TD fan.

I've got 200 and I wish I could buy more at this price.

You know it will be back in the $80's quick, and eventually do a split.

But, some people are bearish on cdn banks....

I say its a long term hold it and collect the divs.
Thought I would bump this 7 year old post.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts