Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
I'd buy it, but I'm a huge TD fan.

I've got 200 and I wish I could buy more at this price.

You know it will be back in the $80's quick, and eventually do a split.

But, some people are bearish on cdn banks....

I say its a long term hold it and collect the divs.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. My other bank holding is BMO, got into that at under $50 making for a decent yield. Was looking to add a 2nd bank and TD is my top choice. My gut is telling me to get in while I can for under $80. Plan is to hold for the long haul and buy more in the dips.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I am looking to buy a bank stock (or 2) as a long term holding & drip it for 15 yrs. I am figuring now is a good time as any after the 10% drop. Do any of you see a potential event (ie: europe/greece crisis, US debt ceiling debate) being significant game changers in the next few weeks/months - prior to Sept.?

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
I am looking to buy a bank stock (or 2) as a long term holding & drip it for 15 yrs. I am figuring now is a good time as any after the 10% drop. Do any of you see a potential event (ie: europe/greece crisis, US debt ceiling debate) being significant game changers in the next few weeks/months - prior to Sept.?
In terms of the CDN banks, I think the only one that will really have a big impact is if the US continues to post bad news.

Reason being is because:

A) TD has the largest US exposure out of all CDN banks
B) BMO just bought Marshall and Ilsley and owns Harris

C) RBC just sold out of the US (which i think is a dumb move)

But you might as well grab it now since they are down, and then average down later if US posts even worse news.

At one point I saw TD up 71 cents today.
Day Range 79.40 - 80.17

People are definitely bullish on TD.

It feels like RBC was the bank for the previous generations, and TD bank is becoming the younger generation bank. Sort of seems like TD will be taking the spotlight from RBC and will soon be Canadas biggest/greatest bank in terms of Customer Service and Market Cap.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
It feels like RBC was the bank for the previous generations, and TD bank is becoming the younger generation bank. Sort of seems like TD will be taking the spotlight from RBC and will soon be Canadas biggest/greatest bank in terms of Customer Service and Market Cap.
This is not how I see the difference among TD and RBC at all. TD focuses on the retail side of the business in both Canadian and US operations. RBC is much more heavily weighted in capital markets.

Which strategy will make more money? Don't know the answer to that, but I think it's a lot more complex than previous/younger generation divide.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
This is not how I see the difference among TD and RBC at all. TD focuses on the retail side of the business in both Canadian and US operations. RBC is much more heavily weighted in capital markets.

Which strategy will make more money? Don't know the answer to that, but I think it's a lot more complex than previous/younger generation divide.
Hm, I dont know.

RBC just backed out of the US and lost lots of money, plus future potential to make money there.

I would say that TD is the one that will be expanding in all aspects.

Generally speaking, commercial would probably make more money because you are dealing with greater amount of funds, but I think TD is really pushing it...

I feel like RBC is losing their ability to continue producing great results.

RBC Q2 (Apr '11) 2010
Net profit margin 25.09% 18.79%

TD Q2 (Apr '11) 2010
Net profit margin 25.20% 23.08%

Look at TD's profit margin for 2010 compared to rbc's.
TD also has a net profit margin slightly (and I mean SLIGHTLY) higher than RY for last quarter.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Look at TD's profit margin for 2010 compared to rbc's.
TD also has a net profit margin slightly (and I mean SLIGHTLY) higher than RY for last quarter.
I'm not suggesting one model is more or less profitable. From 2010 and first half of 2011,

TD derives 91-95% of income from retail banking.
RBC derives >20% from Capital markets, underwriting, and investing - this has been higher in the past. If you look at Capital markets revenues alone, quarterly numbers have varied between $250 million last quarter, to $1.5 billion in the past.

Clearly TD's revenue streams are more consistent, and they have maid a huge play on retail banking. This is not a growth segment of the market, they need to grow by acquisition, or convincing individuals banking elsewhere to switch.

RBCs revenues are highly dependent on the world equities market. Of course if you compare their potential to earn during a significant market downturn, the odds are not in their favor. Once underwriting activites picks up, and they actually earn in trading and Capital markets, you should expect to see RBC make a surge back to higher profitability.

All that being said, I don't like to make a call one way or another as to which strategy will outperform, hence I hold both.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
"Toronto-Dominion raised its quarterly dividend 3 percent to 68 cents a share, joining Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce as the only banks to boost payouts this quarter. The bank was expected to increase its dividend to 70 cents a share, according to the Bloomberg Dividend Forecast."

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
3 cents is just fine. Keep in mind TD's dividend increase schedule is likely to be twice per year, if history pre-2008 is a guide.

Hey Abha, how about TD as #1 in market cap? Could establish that position sooner than I thought.

·
Registered
556 Posts
3 cents is just fine. Keep in mind TD's dividend increase schedule is likely to be twice per year, if history pre-2008 is a guide.

Hey Abha, how about TD as #1 in market cap? Could establish that position sooner than I thought.
I'm not too worried. Seems more like TD and CIBC are the cool kids right now.

Royal Bank is being punished every which way, which is why I'm gravitating more towards them at the moment.

I'm actually weirdly proud of TD's performance, given that I spent my first 7 years of my career with them.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
7 years.. hmm.. wonder how long I'll be with TD. Hey Abha, what position in the company should I target? I'm not really an aggressive salesman. And I don't care about lending. Just pure investing. They should probably peg me as senior gold analyst or something. I can't see myself moving to Ontario at all. Vancouver is a decent option out here though. I wish TD would expand in the western US because I could see myself down there too.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
argo both you & ddkay have good investment skills for any age or level of experience & pretty amazing when one considers that you are both younger than 25. So i'd say the industry would be lucky to capture either one of you.

retail brokerage is really a sales job. You might be disappointed because you'd hardly have time to think an original thought, you'd be so busy pushing & selling to increase your book.

a CFA could aim for a career as an analyst at td newcrest securities or any other investment dealer, mutual fund, hedge fund or pension fund manager out there. But you'd need that cfa certification. It's a long hard slog & one constantly hears how many are weeded out, especially in the first year.

might you consider doing the cfa. It would be your gateway to a glowing future. Same for ddkay. Fortunately for both of you, you both have excellent natural communication skills, which are important for an analyst or portfolio manager, so no homework needed there.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts