Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a house this year and it's a legal duplex. So I'm collecting rent and getting a salary at work. I've been using ufile online to do my taxes in the past, and I've noticed that they do allow for rental income.

But is there a better software program out there for this type of income stream?

Thanks!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What exactly do you mean by "they do not allow for rental income"? All tax prep software includes inputs for all income sources that the government taxes.
I wrote that ufile does do rental income, but for example I bought a computer to keep track of expenses, do advertising etc. I can add that as an expense for the apartment, but it appears as though because the apartment is 40% of my house, and only 40% of the other expenses (interest, hydro, etc) are written off, I'm concerned it will only write off 40% of the cost of the computer.

So, the question really is what do people use to do their taxes that have a similar situation.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My real problem was although I do know all the tax stuff I had a brain fart and forgot that computers are CCA, even though with the new budget I can write off the whole thing this year (at least the percentage used for business).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.