Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are thinking of purchasing a house in Vancouver and rent the basement out as a mortgage helper. We plan to live in this house for 30+ years. When we do sell our house, will there be any taxes or fees we need to pay because our basement has been rented out?

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
My wife and I are thinking of purchasing a house in Vancouver and rent the basement out as a mortgage helper. We plan to live in this house for 30+ years. When we do sell our house, will there be any taxes or fees we need to pay because our basement has been rented out?
Is there a reason, icu222, for you posting the same (essentially) question here twice, 7 months apart?

My wife and I are debating if we should purchase and live in a house that has a legal suite (to be rented out) or not. When we do sell our house will we be able to claim the Primary Residence Tax Exemption?
Maybe you forgot that? You then received 5 replies, including one directing your attention to the exact same "helpful guidance" to which fireseeker has made reference.

If you were dissatisfied with the replies to your first time asking that question, then why not revive that thread and see if any further and better answers could be provided? But I doubt anyone can provide a whole lot more. You were given some sensible advice and referred to some useful material. Since then you have had more than half a year to undertake more research (including consulting with appropriate experts) on your own.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts