Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,

I am unpleased with how my tax dollars are spent and I feel rather powerless with my vote and the choice of party. I had the idea of donating as much as the taxes I pay to charities thinking all of it was a tax credit, but here it BC only 29% of it is. That still leaves 71% of my taxes going to national defence, debt interest and other things I do not necessarily agree with.

I read about the idea of TAX CHOICE. Is there a way to gain more control on where my taxes are spent. I hate for my money to support things I find morally wrong. But dont get me wrong, I am not looking at paying less taxes, but rather, to vote for my beliefs with my dollars.

Cheers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,108 Posts
29% is the federal tax credit on the portion of donations over $200. You also get a BC tax credit of 14.7%, for a total of 43.7%.

If you were able to give to your local animal shelter instead of paying taxes, the rest of us would be stuck with the bill for services you get. Hm, no thanks. That's not a good deal for the rest of us.

8¢ of each dollar of federal taxes and 0¢ of every dollar of provincial taxes go to defence. Not a big portion.

As far as the debt payments go, you don't get to walk away from your share of the debt anymore than the rest of us do.

The best way to get your taxes directed to where you think they should be is to work to elect politicians who share your beliefs, and to lobby the politicians who are elected.
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Top