Canadian Money Forum banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Canada and the US have reached a deal to end the steel (25%) and aluminum (10%) tariffs, in 2 days.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tariff-steel-aluminum-deal-canada-trump-1.5140031
https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/u-s-agrees-to-lift-steel-aluminum-tariffs-on-canada-mexico-1.1260638
https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/the-work-that-we-needed-to-get-done-has-been-done-morneau-on-tariffs-and-nafta-s-future-1.1260805

Good job by Trudeau & team to put an end to this. They've negotiated both NAFTA and these nuisance issues pretty well, I think.
Good work by Trudeau?! Are you kidding me? He is blowing it with the US, do you not recall when he went double-talk on Trump within minutes of the G7 ending? Oh, that was a year ago. It has taken a year for that mistake to blow over and it has cost hundreds of millions in tarrifs and subsidies to keep our manufacturers afloat. Yeah, great job Trudeau. Thankfully his tail has been between his legs and it has blown over while he spends his time blowing up our trade relationship with China.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Myself, I'm not a fan of the Liberals, but just like the last time the US imposed tariffs on steel and aluminium, the Liberals responded with retaliatory tariffs aimed to hit Republicans in districts where it hurts. They have my full support.

This time, they appear to be ready to do the same after the US places tariffs on aluminium.

ltr

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
They have an interesting initial list.

I get that they are all aluminium products, but I don't see the rationale for targeting those particular products. I would have thought targeting Kentucky products, namely Mitch McConnell 's district would be ideal considering that the tariffs would benefit his Russian benefactors.

The funny thing is that there is currently an aluminium shortage, so putting tariffs on Canadian aluminium is just ... well, not smart.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
The funny thing is that there is currently an aluminium shortage, so putting tariffs on Canadian aluminium is just ... well, not smart.
Not smart indeed. It makes no sense and everyone (with a brain) agrees.

Funny coincidence?, that the very Whirlpool washing machine plant where Trump announced the aluminum tariffs, it will be hit hard with new Canadian tariffs on imports of their products to Canada. F--k you USA.

ltr

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Funny coincidence?, that the very Whirlpool washing machine plant where Trump announced the aluminum tariffs, it will be hit hard with new Canadian tariffs on imports of their products to Canada. F--k you USA.
I get the feeling Trump heard that Whirlpool uses aluminium so thought it was the best place to announce it. The problem is that with tariffs it will cost more to produce the washing machines... normally you would make an announcement like this at an actual aluminium plant, but Trump being Trump.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
Not smart indeed. It makes no sense and everyone (with a brain) agrees.

ltr
.. some loonie (soon) by the name of Mr. MAGA-NOT! is getting desperate down south and it ain't your average Yankee walking down the street.

·
Registered
989 Posts
When push comes to shove America has no friends.
American's only have and enjoy "Acquaintances".
Just like Employers and the Hedge Fund Folks.

As the North American economy continues to crumble for the next 2 years at least, a leader must look strong and resolute.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
So much for the tariffs. Timing would suggest that Canadian retaliation would have hurt the US government seeing as they were dropped before Canada announced the counter-tariffs. More than likely, they would have targeted the swing States.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts