Canadian Money Forum banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
LOL

whatta dumb idea

What exactly is that going to accomplish? Do you really think the average voter in the red states who voted for Trump will say, "Oh gee Canadians are boycotting our products so for that reason I'll vote for the Democrat candidate next time". Get real!

You people make me laugh. :)

as another poster has explained, targeting certain states to slap with countervailing duties is the official canadian response so far. Canada will want to align with other nations attempting to deal with donald trump. It's early days. Plenty of time to tinker with policy.

half the US of A - democrats - will also be attempting to deal with donald trump & his trumped-up trade war. Among the other half - republicans - a strong faction already supports local american producers who need to export.

when it comes to orange juice, you're right, no one can tell whether his litre of fresh-pressed came off the tree in florida or california.

but then there's the strong psychosocial effect. Donald trump is violating canadians' lives, the same way he's violating american lives by muckraking so promiscuously in US export manufacture, US export steel, US export agricultural product. If it helps canadians vent their outrage by quitting OJ cold turkey, or imbibing only california OJ if they can't kick the habit, they should do it.

for some time now there's been a certain school of analysts who say that trump has no politics, all he ever wants to do is create havoc, pandemonium & chaos, with himself at the epicentre. It's a school i intend to observe more closely from now on.

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
LOL

whatta dumb idea

What exactly is that going to accomplish? Do you really think the average voter in the red states who voted for Trump will say, "Oh gee Canadians are boycotting our products so for that reason I'll vote for the Democrat candidate next time". Get real!

You people make me laugh. :)
canada is not alone in targeting its tariffs to red states ... china is doing it as is the european union and everyone else in the g6

spankys red state constituents are going to start to squeal and it won't be a laughing matter to them ...

its a really smart idea ....

·
Banned
760 Posts
You gotta laugh at the stupidity-the global elite give a TAX a special name-lets call it a "Tariff" and magically it is evil-it even violates human rights as some especially ignorant poster has commented-"Tariff" revenue goes into the same guv coffers that get your income tax revenue, your beloved carbon tax revenue, your fees for this that and everything else-the HST you love, blah blah blah.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Well that confirms a big kahuna of ignorance with regard to macroeconomics and global trade.
I'm not mentioning this to argue or belittle, simply pointing out the obvious. I suspect many people are clueless on the subject.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
canada is not alone in targeting its tariffs to red states ... china is doing it as is the european union and everyone else in the g6

spankys red state constituents are going to start to squeal and it won't be a laughing matter to them ...

its a really smart idea ....

me i think there's a very slight difference between red state boycott & heavy export state boycott though

red state boycott is easy to understand, every nation affected by trump's new trade war can do it

but export state boycott means each nation that imports from the US will apply new high tariffs to the products they import in greatest quantity. IE if canadian imports from US include high percentage of steel & dairy then canada will tax those products in order to apply pressure to producing states such as michigan, illinois, indiana, ohio, pennsylvania, new york, wisconsin, vermont.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
canada's minister of finance Bill Morneau said he met privately with his US counterpart Steve Mnuchkin the night before the G7 finance minister's meeting in whistler BC.

morneau said he discussed canada's new retaliatory counter tariffs with mnuchkin. Canada won't impose these until july 1st in order to allow the white house time to reconsider, morneau told mnuchkin.

asked by a reporter what was mnuchkin's response, morneau said he wouldn't comment but predicted this week's G7 leaders' meeting in quebec will be "lively."

an unnamed senior canadian official at the same whistler meeting said that the combined counter-tariff response of all 6 G7 partners plus the EU, will negate any argument that canada is too small to intimidate the US on its own.

in fact, said this official, trump appears to have made a tactical error in targeting so many countries all at the same time.

also in whistler, the french finance minister described the new trump trade tariffs as "an attack."

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/06/01/morneau-canada-tariffs-trump_a_23449120/?utm_hp_ref=ca-homepage

·
Banned
760 Posts
Well that confirms a big kahuna of ignorance with regard to macroeconomics and global trade.
I'm not mentioning this to argue or belittle, simply pointing out the obvious. I suspect many people are clueless on the subject.
I know exactly what your authority figures have told you-believe me it isn't a secret.

·
Banned
760 Posts
canada's minister of finance Bill Morneau said he met privately with his US counterpart Steve Mnuchkin the night before the G7 finance minister's meeting in whistler BC.

morneau said he discussed canada's new retaliatory counter tariffs with mnuchkin. Canada won't impose these until july 1st in order to allow the white house time to reconsider, morneau told mnuchkin.

asked by a reporter what was mnuchkin's response, morneau said he wouldn't comment but predicted this week's G7 leaders' meeting in quebec will be "lively."

an unnamed senior canadian official at the same whistler meeting said that the combined counter-tariff response of all 6 G7 partners plus the EU, will negate any argument that canada is too small to intimidate the US on its own.

in fact, said this official, trump appears to have made a tactical error in targeting so many countries all at the same time.

also in whistler, the french finance minister described the new trump trade tariffs as "an attack."

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/06/01/morneau-canada-tariffs-trump_a_23449120/?utm_hp_ref=ca-homepage
I am old enough to remember when all the "experts" guaranteed that a Donald Trump presidency would doom the US economy-not boom it as has happened.

·
Registered
10,365 Posts
LOL... none of the economic boom being enjoyed by the US is due to the Trump presidency. The momentum was in play well before Trump was elected. Simply econ 101. There is always a multi-year lag before business investment decisions show results (positive or negative), albeit consumer responses are more immediate.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
... in fact, said this official, trump appears to have made a tactical error in targeting so many countries all at the same time.
Yes, it appears Trump forgot the first in his 2-rule playbook: 1. divide and conquer, 2. take no prisoners.

WH economic adviser Larry Kudlow's comments would be humourous if they weren't serious. He tried to characterize it as "a family dispute".
Regarding Trudeau's response and comments, Kudlow said "I think he is overreacting"... that steel and aluminum tariffs on U.S. allies “may go on for a while” or “they may not,” because the matter is subject to negotiation.... and noted that "the United States still would welcome good-faith negotiations"... “and that’s why I regard this as more of a family quarrel. This is a trade dispute, if you will. It can be solved if people work together,” Kudlow said. “To say that it is an attack on Canada is not right.” :rolleyes2: :rolleyes2: https://ca.reuters.com/article/businessNews/idCAKCN1IZ0L0-OCABS

His comments (good faith, work together) might make sense in the absence of Trump.

Trump the bully, the 'I win you lose' president has absolutely no good will in the world. There is no world leader who respects or likes him. All those people who got him elected so they could get the red hat (make america great again) must be wondering if frankenstein has an 'off' switch.

·
Registered
10,365 Posts
Trump the bully, the 'I win you lose' president has absolutely no good will in the world. There is no world leader who respects or likes him. All those people who got him elected so they could get the red hat (make america great again) must be wondering if frankenstein has an 'off' switch.
I think only some who voted for Trump recognize their mistake. Much of his base does not have a clue, e.g. those people in the Rust Belt who believed Trump could bring back manufacturing, coal mining et al.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Yes, it appears Trump forgot the first in his 2-rule playbook: 1. divide and conquer, 2. take no prisoners.

WH economic adviser Larry Kudlow's comments would be humourous if they weren't serious. He tried to characterize it as "a family dispute".
Regarding Trudeau's response and comments, Kudlow said "I think he is overreacting"... that steel and aluminum tariffs on U.S. allies “may go on for a while” or “they may not,” because the matter is subject to negotiation.... and noted that "the United States still would welcome good-faith negotiations"... “and that’s why I regard this as more of a family quarrel. This is a trade dispute, if you will. It can be solved if people work together,” Kudlow said. “To say that it is an attack on Canada is not right.” :rolleyes2: :rolleyes2: https://ca.reuters.com/article/businessNews/idCAKCN1IZ0L0-OCABS

His comments (good faith, work together) might make sense in the absence of Trump.

^^ all so true

kudlow flippity-flopping was a comedy alright

i was thinking the other day how donald trump is morphing into the most despised person the world has known since adolf hitler. I was thinking what a horrible legacy to leave his daughter ivanka & his other children

i mean they will want to carry on with the remnants of their hotel, fashion accessory & related businesses

but who will ever buy anything from the remnants of the trump dynasty?

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
china just said that any tariffs against them will null and void any deals made in the meantime

spanky is an idiot, which everyone in the world knows full well, but now he is going to find out what his stupidity is going to cost the country

i do hope that the rest of the g7 start to route around the usa and soon ...

·
Banned
760 Posts
The sky is falling-hide under your bed-some new taxes will be imposed-and not good wholesome taxes like carbon taxes and income taxes-these are bad, scary taxes.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
G7 leaders plus the heads of the EU & the ECU will gather in la Malbaie quebec from june 8th through june 9th. Justin Trudeau will host the meeting as president of the G7.

what could be lovelier than a day in june in historic la Malbaie!

once a fashionable summer watering hole for wealthy new yorkers & even wealthier bostonians named Murray Bay, the resort in early summer is a delight of manicured lawns, stately 19th century country manor houses, pine forests, rolling mountains dropping straight down to a blue st-lawrence river sparkling with whitecaps, salt-laden sea breezes, fragrant wild roses & beluga whales spouting offshore.

the famous ile d'orleans strawberries won't be ready yet, but there'll be fat local asparagus, equally fat saguenay spring lambs, perhaps une crème brulée sirop d'érable, all washed down with memorable quebec artisanal wines.

couldn't have a more elegant setting to take on the awkward thug from the oval office.

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
i am most pleased by the performance of our pm with regards to trans-mountain and especially with regard to his performance today on meet the press (which have not seen but get his point loud and clear)

does he have big hair ? ... yes, he does ... but perhaps there is more happening under that adorable mop than i heretofore was aware of ... nice work T2

and yes pie, let us hope that the g7 minus 1 get their heads together and deliver a message to spanky that will be hard to ignore

ps. i suspect the pm's courage was stiffened by his realization that playing nice with spanky won't work and nafta is dragging along and there ain't much to lose

playing nice with spanky doesn't work because there is no actual spanky, only an endless series of petulant, confused, greedy, lying, ill-informed little spanky's each one new and different from the other and who can negotiate with something like that ?

·
Registered
12,998 Posts
I say the matter gets settled in a "manly" fashion....by manly men in the manly sport of bare knuckles brawling, which apparently was just legalized in Wyoming....bless their little hearts.

·
Banned
760 Posts
I say the matter gets settled in a "manly" fashion....by manly men in the manly sport of bare knuckles brawling, which apparently was just legalized in Wyoming....bless their little hearts.
The gloves used in UFC/MMA are just to protect your hand-the guy you are hitting suffers the same damage whether bare knuckles or these gloves.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts

funny! but let's do a reality check

yesterday donald trump labelled trade with china "stupid trade"

it's a given that trump is going to try to destroy the G7. Extremists are already helping him by saying the G7 is toast.

how long will it be before trump sets out to destroy NATO?

at the end of the day, it's the US that has supreme nuclear strike capability, not any other country. And it's donald trump who holds the codes.

there's a limit to how far any country - even one that supposedly has sided brother-to-brother with washington ever since WW II - there's a limit to how far any country can step out of bounds.

this leaves the most reasonable avenue as the one canada has already taken. Work to influence US lawmakers to amend trump's destructive rampages as best they can. Foreign countries can use trade tariffs as a means to send smoke signals to lawmakers in vulnerable states.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts