Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With all the US items being taxed by tariffs, how long do you think it will take before prices begin increasing. What about when other countries do the same, or will we not be included by tariffs from the EU?

·
Registered
10,383 Posts
Why would we be subject to tariffs from the EU? There is no trade spat between us and the EU.

The outcome should be obvious. Either prices of affected US products will increase by the amount of the tariff..... or the supplier and/or vendor will squeeze their margins to offset some of the tariff.

I think the more important thing is for Canadian consumers to simply not buy 'Made in US' products whether subject to tariffs or not, if they can fine a European or Asian alternative. That is our plan in our household. Example: Need a new laundry washer? Buy a Bosch right out of Germany (not a Bosch manufactured in the USA) or a Samsung made in Korea. Buy Mexican or Chilean produce, not the **** that comes out of CA or FL.

Consumers do have some power AND can persuade their retailers to do likewise. We do a lot of our food shopping at Loblaw's Superstore. My plan today is to send an email to them suggesting they source more of their products ex-USA and include that on their pricing signage in their stores. We also plan to avoid a vacation in the USA (including Hawaii) this year. There are many other places to go.

Added: I'd suggest this is what the G6 should be focusing some of their time at Whistler on right now.....and over the next several months. A significant crimp in the US export market should have some effect on Congress.

·
Banned
2,915 Posts
I don't think Canada should be subject to any tariffs or whatever because of the similar conditions for regulations and worker rights as the US. Probably we have even stronger regulations, oversight and worker rights then the US does come to think of it.

My thinking is Canada is just thrown in to make the US position stronger in negotiations as the US goes after everyone and everything. Probably the US will stand down in the end with some changes being made and we all go back to a normal trading relationship with softwood lumber being thrown under the bus every couple of years.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
A trade war is bad for everyone involved. But we can't sit by and take it when Trump slaps punitive tariffs on imports from Canada under the authority of a bogus "national security" claim. The Trudeau government has tried to target the countervailing duties on products from states that export a lot to Canada, in hopes they will influence Congress to make the Administration back down.

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
i assume trudeau is holding off for a bit to let trump get a message or two from his constituents that are going to be targeted and hope trump changes his mind

always a possibility with a man who has the attention span of a single cable news show

i heard on the radio today that in the usa tariffs are going to save 150K steel related jobs and lose 2M based on higher prices and the inability to export

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Why would we be subject to tariffs from the EU? There is no trade spat between us and the EU.

The outcome should be obvious. Either prices of affected US products will increase by the amount of the tariff..... or the supplier and/or vendor will squeeze their margins to offset some of the tariff.

I think the more important thing is for Canadian consumers to simply not buy 'Made in US' products whether subject to tariffs or not, if they can fine a European or Asian alternative. That is our plan in our household. Example: Need a new laundry washer? Buy a Bosch right out of Germany (not a Bosch manufactured in the USA) or a Samsung made in Korea. Buy Mexican or Chilean produce, not the **** that comes out of CA or FL.

Consumers do have some power AND can persuade their retailers to do likewise. We do a lot of our food shopping at Loblaw's Superstore. My plan today is to send an email to them suggesting they source more of their products ex-USA and include that on their pricing signage in their stores. We also plan to avoid a vacation in the USA (including Hawaii) this year. There are many other places to go.

Added: I'd suggest this is what the G6 should be focusing some of their time at Whistler on right now.....and over the next several months. A significant crimp in the US export market should have some effect on Congress.

there are some excellent insightful messages already in this thread but i singled out this one because it sets forth a plan of action that every canadian can implement. Namely, how to start searching for replacements for american products & raw materials. In effect, how to boycott the US of A.

cancelling US holiday plans are an obvious. Almost a redundant idea. Here in quebec i've been hearing for more than a year now from folks who in the past would normally hop south for a weekend at the drop of a hat. But over the past year they won't go. Last one to refuse was a young professional woman whose friends organized a casual jaunt to new jersey beaches. In 2016 she would have leaped into the excursion. In april 2018 she wouldn't go. And that was even before the tariffs.

there's also an echo in this post of something that's been mentioned in other threads. The reference to Whistler. How other nations are learning to cooperate better together in the mutual effort to survive in the face of permanent trump chaos.

we're OK with food because summer's coming & the trend is to buy local, fresher, greener, bio, better anyhow. Re california strawberries & washington state pears & apples next fall, i still don't know if these fall under the new canadian tariff regulations (i'd read that canada will be slapping tariffs on imported american hair spray though) (does that affect many cmffers?) (i'm positive we can endure an era of tousled coiffure if it means putting the kibosh on donald trump)

·
Registered
10,383 Posts
Canada and the EU are targeting red states for tariff impositions if they can to squeeze the economies in these states and thus put more pressure on GOP members of Congress. It is a pretty good tactic I think if it can be a material effect. No more Florida OJ but if I have too, I will buy CA OJ since CA is a blue state. Another reason not to buy a Harley either. I agree the food issue really won't hit until this Fall given locally grown product.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
^^

i like this further refinement of red state/blue state differentiation

great idea boycott red state product to the fullest extent possible

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I have been implementing Altared’s policies since Trump was elected and I’m going to be even more rigorous about it now.

·
Banned
2,915 Posts
Hey dog, when Canada imposes a 15% tariff on US goods, guess who pays the higher price?
Of course we will pay higher prices if the trade war heats up. I am thinking it won't come to that other then softwood lumber which every administration has gone after.

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
my fantasy is to see canada start secret negotiations with maybe the UK, Brazil and Mexico and maybe make a Trans Atlantic trade alliance ... let the Americans know that we are ready and willing to trade right around them ...

ar has a good idea too ... don’t buy their stuff

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
my fantasy is to see canada start secret negotiations with maybe the UK, Brazil and Mexico and maybe make a Trans Atlantic trade alliance ... let the Americans know that we are ready and willing to trade right around them

^^ this is not a fantasy, it's what's happening in reality

one tiny sub-modification: it's not america that canada is setting up to trade around, it's only donald trump

this country will always walk arm-in-arm with the US
always has, always will
their current mistake of a president, too, will pass ...

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
rousing address from Peter Donolo in the globe saying that canada must walk boldly away from NAFTA.

donolo - long-time liberal party stalwart who served in the PMO under jean chretien - sees donald trump as a predator.

The only negotiating stance that works against Donald Trump is the ability and willingness to walk away. Mr. Trump sniffs out weakness or desperation – in a friend or a foe – and he pounces without mercy. A defensive crouch is the wrong position, [Donolo says.]

NAFTA – at least as we know it – is dead. Donald Trump just killed it. The reckless and crippling 25-per-cent tariff on steel and 10-per-cent tariff on aluminum that the U.S. President’s administration just used to bludgeon Canada and Mexico (not to mention the entire European Union) is the murder weapon.

For all those who have spent the last 20 months convincing themselves that Mr. Trump was just posing, that he could be reasoned with or charmed, this will come as a brutal awakening.

my takeaway is that Donolo's piece is a deliberate plant from the trudeau team. Donolo is the advance man with the first early news that canada's foreign policy vis-a-vis the US has profoundly changed. It's hardened to a degree never before seen during the entire past century.

the speed with which Justin Trudeau & Chrystia Freeland appeared to announce details of the new canadian counter tariffs showed that Plan B - which has now become Plan A - had been in the works for months. Trudeau's hard voice, his refusal to meet with the american vice-president, Freeland's clipped emphasis as she repeated the day & the very hour canada will start taxing US imports, were deliberate.

as donolo notes, the same moment is witnessing the launch of the federally-financed transMountain pipeline. It's the strongest possible statement that canada is exporting to asia, that canada & asia are open for business.

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
rousing address from Peter Donolo in the globe saying that canada must walk boldly away from NAFTA.

donolo - long-time liberal party stalwart who served in the PMO under jean chretien - sees donald trump as a predator.

my takeaway is that Donolo's piece is a deliberate plant from the trudeau team. Donolo is the advance man with the first early news that canada's foreign policy vis-a-vis the US has profoundly changed. It's hardened to a degree never before seen during the entire past century.

the speed with which Justin Trudeau & Chrystia Freeland appeared to announce details of the new canadian counter tariffs showed that Plan B - which has now become Plan A - had been in the works for months. Trudeau's hard voice, his refusal to meet with the american vice-president, Freeland's clipped emphasis as she repeated the day & the very hour canada will start taxing US imports, were deliberate.

as donolo notes, the same moment is witnessing the launch of the federally-financed transMountain pipeline. It's the strongest possible statement that canada is exporting to asia, that canada & asia are open for business.

sheesh, i do hope the above is true pie ... give spanky the finger and look elsewhere, that would wake him the @#$% up ... it would be painful at first but over the years would reap huge rewards to diversify our markets

this is why i am so hopped up by trans mountain ... we need it badly ... to get respect, if nothing else

good on trudeau for his response to trump this coming weekend when he apparently speaks back to him ... i may have to stop calling him big-hair... that will be sad day ... for me at least :hororr:

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
^^ i don't see it so much as giving trump the finger as looking out at all times for canada's best interests, given the cards that are lying on the table.

no one could have laboured more mightily or more loyally on the NAFTA dossier than chrystia freeland. Night & day, she worked her mandate as negotiator-in-chief. Now it's all come to nothing, for no other reason than that a sinister sociopath in the oval office has flipped to what he wants to call "national security" or a "sunset clause."

the silver lining to the US tariffs is that they are serving as a giant wake-up call to the planet. Not a nation now that doesn't know what a predator the white house hotelkeeper really is. Il Duce.

cat isn't it interesting to see how the forum is acting in concert? (for once!)

left or right, progressive or conservative, west or east, english or french, many are saying Boycott red state products. Let's make the best of transMountain, It's our baby now. And most importantly of all, Where & How can we make New Friends.

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
^^ i don't see it so much as giving trump the finger as looking out at all times for canada's best interests, given the cards that are lying on the table.

no one could have laboured more mightily or more loyally on the NAFTA dossier than chrystia freeland. Night & day, she worked her mandate as negotiator-in-chief. Now it's all come to nothing, for no other reason than that a sinister sociopath in the oval office has flipped to what he wants to call "national security" or a "sunset clause."

the silver lining to the US tariffs is that they are serving as a giant wake-up call to the planet. Not a nation now that doesn't know what a predator the white house hotelkeeper really is. Il Duce.

cat isn't it interesting to see how the forum is acting in concert? (for once!)

left or right, progressive or conservative, west or east, english or french, many are saying Boycott red state products. Let's make the best of transMountain, It's our baby now. And most importantly of all, Where & How can we make New Friends.

yes, i do hope canadians stick together as the going could get tough ... chrystia is doing a fine job ... i got to know her well on a weekly political podcast she used to do when she was working down in the states before she was elected ... smart girl ... pm material

·
Registered
188 Posts
^^

i like this further refinement of red state/blue state differentiation

great idea boycott red state product to the fullest extent possible
LOL

whatta dumb idea

What exactly is that going to accomplish? Do you really think the average voter in the red states who voted for Trump will say, "Oh gee Canadians are boycotting our products so for that reason I'll vote for the Democrat candidate next time". Get real!

You people make me laugh. :)

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
LOL

whatta dumb idea

What exactly is that going to accomplish? Do you really think the average voter in the red states who voted for Trump will say, "Oh gee Canadians are boycotting our products so for that reason I'll vote for the Democrat candidate next time". Get real!

You people make me laugh. :)
Considering that the average voter has no power, it doesn't matter who is elected in those states. The boycotts are meant for the targetted companies to engage lobbyists who then go after the representatives to make sure that US policies are in their favour, i.e. make sure that their export market is as wide as possible.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts