·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By popular request: My fairy godmother column
Last Updated: September 3, 2010

Licia Corbella - Calgary Herald

Random snips - the whole thing is here:
http://calgaryherald.com/opinion/columnists/by-popular-request-my-fairy-godmother-column

Today, let’s have some fun and play fairy godmother to Quebec. Let’s grant the province the wish it articulated in Copenhagen. Wave the magic wand and poof, wish granted. Shut down Alberta’s oilsands, except, since it’s Quebec making the wish, we have to call it tarsands, even though it’s not tar they use to run their Bombardier planes, trains and Skidoos.

... lost jobs in Alberta and across the country along with higher gas prices are a small price to pay to save the world and not “embarrass” Quebecers on the world stage. Not to worry though, Saudi Arabia, Libya and Nigeria can come to the rescue. You know, the guys who pump money into al-Qaeda and help Osama bin Laden target those Van Doos fighting in Afghanistan. Bloody oil is so much nicer than dirty tarsands oil.

The 530 sq.-km piece of land currently disturbed by the tarsands (which is smaller than the John F. Kennedy Space Center at Cape Canaveral, Florida at 570 sq. km) must be reclaimed by law and will return to Alberta’s 381,000 sq. km of boreal forest, a huge carbon sink. Quebec, of course, has clean hydro power, but more than 13,000 sq. km were drowned for the James Bay hydroelectric project, permanently removing that forest from acting as a carbon sink.

In 2009, Albertans paid $40.46 billion in income, corporate and other taxes to the federal government and received back just $19.35 billion in services and goods from the feds. That means the rest of Canada got $21.1 billion from Albertans or $5,742 for each and every Alberta man, woman and child. In 2007 (the last year national figures are available), Alberta sent a net contribution of $19.49 billion to the ROC or $5,553 per Albertan — more than three times what every Ontarian contributes at $1,757. Quebecers, on the other hand, each received $627 net or a total of $8 billion, money which was designed to help “equalize” social programs across the country. Except, that’s not what’s happening. Quebec has more generous social programs, like (nearly) free university tuition (paid for mostly by Albertans) and cheap provincial day care (paid for mostly by Albertans).

~~~~~//~~~~~
End snipping.
Dear Licia,
Please do another update now that RoC can feel superior to Albertans, because, like - we're done eh? [/sarc]

·
Registered
14,319 Posts
Problem is the world needs oil............but it doesn't have to be Canadian oil.

We are located too far away from other major world markets except for the US, who are themselves becoming self sufficient and less dependent on imported oil.

Alberta oil sands is among the most expensive oil in the world to recover, and cost of production doesn't dictate price when ME oil is produced for 1/10th the cost.

Canada's competitors produce it cheaper, are closer to their major markets and have infrastructure to transport the oil.

Alternative energy sources continue to be developed.

Solar energy production has surpassed coal production...........and alternative energy will surpass oil production in the future.

Canada has to look ahead to the future...........not go forward looking in the rear view mirror.

Oil production is still crucial to Canada, but we need to start thinking about when it won't be as crucial for our customers.

At the rate of technology advancement........what does energy supply look like in 20 - 30 - 40 years ?

Wood.......whale oil........kerosene..........coal.........oil........... ?

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm with above. I couldn't care less about the coke head teenagers making a hundred grand a year in the tar sands. It's an enviromenal disaster. Have you seen Ariel shots. I lived in sask. when uranium shut down. We survived. Becoming oil
dependent is making us a third world country. We barely even refine it. Put 4 candu reactors in sask, mine the best uranium in the world, refine it, run a gigantic extension cord to California, and charge them to store the depleted uranium in the holes we took it out of. Drive electric cars, and watch the money pore in. Bye bye Alberta! Electric cars are here to stay. I now live in BC. What we really need is the inevitable oil spill to ruin the most beautiful area in Canada. Sorry, for being so blunt. I'm a very nice person.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Sure wish albertans would ride their high horses down to the states where they belong. They sure weren't complaining when Ontario was the economic driver in Canada.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
... They sure weren't complaining when Ontario was the economic driver in Canada.
Not really true. Albertan have complained about the economic and political power of Ontario/Quebec since the province was created. Often with good cause.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Canada has taken far more out of Alberta than they have put in. That is the price of Confederation and it is well worth the price. But the facts cannot be disputed.

Same for a few other provinces. That is why for many years there was so much resentment of the Eastern banks.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Fraser, I can believe that! I'm only a certain age and remember an energy act of some kind. A voice of reason too when it comes to confederation. We truly are one of, if not the greatest country in the world. Intraprovincial politics are always controversial and counterproductive! My wife is South African. It's one country. They have provinces but they have no power. Of course besides wine all the wealth comes from Gauteng Province (Johannesburg). Yet no one complains. Thats how it should be in a united nation that works in everyone's best interest!

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
Drive electric cars, and watch the money pore in. Bye bye Alberta! Electric cars are here to stay. I now live in BC. What we really need is the inevitable oil spill to ruin the most beautiful area in Canada. Sorry, for being so blunt. I'm a very nice person.
You might be nice but are uninformed...perhaps check out the environmental disaster occurring in Mongolia due to initial electric car production...I know...it's just Mongolians and their country dieing, but I guess its not as important to Canadians as Neil Young crying "HIROSHIMA" just to get into Daryl Hannah's pants

·
Registered
185 Posts
You might be nice but are uninformed...perhaps check out the environmental disaster occurring in Mongolia due to initial electric car production...I know...it's just Mongolians and their country dieing, but I guess its not as important to Canadians as Neil Young crying "HIROSHIMA" just to get into Daryl Hannah's pants
Way too true Eder. I was unaware of Mongolia, but in some ways, I'm too informed. India is in the same position. Taking care of our batteries and asbestos (deconstructing the worlds ships, including oil tankers - loaded with asbestos). There is one area where the life expectancy is 40 years old due to cancer because they tear the ships apart by hand without protection. And that's if they aren't crushed, maimed or sliced by debri. Huge supporter of the third world, as been many times. Unfortunately limited areas. People never think of what happened after Erin Brokovich kicked the battery contruction/destruction out of USA. It didn't stop, it went third world. I was also shocked the other day. Teenage shirts for $10, not on sale. Surely being made by someone younger than them. Anyhoo, reslistically, no useful source of energy will every be clean, unfortunately. Pity about Mongolia. Lucky to be born in the G7 and its reinforced everyday by the news. You are very informed, by the way, as our govts tend to hide these things from the general public. Where did you come across this? It certainly slipped by me. Back on subject, admittedly electric cars may be a bad example (although definitely on the way),but I do know a public servant out here who's official position is a pipeline won't leak. Sadly not his personal opinion.

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
The BBC is a decent source of real news still,unlike the CBC , Globe etc. Al Jazera is pretty decent imo as well. Both have reported on Mongolia in the past.

·
Registered
185 Posts
The BBC is a decent source of real news still,unlike the CBC , Globe etc. Al Jazera is pretty decent imo as well. Both have reported on Mongolia in the past.
Hi Eder,
On a personal note I get all my info from seeing first hand, documentaries, and university (not necessarily unbiased). I used to have BBC before kids and liked it, but how in the world did you get Al Jeezera? I'd be afraid of being on a watch list! I've always felt if a person read or watched it and western news, a person would be getting the actual the truth, not just North American centred news ie the effects of our excessive lifestyles as you mentioned.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1 - 20 of 48 Posts