Canadian Money Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Just like independent shops, dealerships range from first rate to stealerships.

I go to the dealer during the bumper-to-bumper period (1 more year on our Mazda) and if necessary for warranty work on the power train (3 more years). Beyond that, I would rarely service a vehicle at dealerships. We have been satisfied with one of Kal Tire franchises near us for the past 10 years. They've got a pretty good reputation, at least in their 'home region' of the Okanagan Valley
So if I have warranty, I should be going to a dealership? And outside of the warranty go somewhere else?

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
So if I have warranty, I should be going to a dealership? And outside of the warranty go somewhere else?
I would for 'free' warranty work, e.g. replace a malfunctioning sensor like adaptive cruise control. Post-warranty, for me at least, it depends on what the problem is as to whether I'd go back to the dealer. Something that is oddball and likely to stump an independent, or complex like a bad sensor in the auto tranny, it is probably best to go to the dealer. I wouldn't go back to the dealer for brakes, alignments et al.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
I have close family that are mechanics. In fact we used to buy whatever make that our mechanic worked at. We would go to him for our maintenance, he was able to sign off on the work (he could do that for any brand). If there was warranty work, he would tell us, and we would bring it into the dealer, and we were covered. He's gotten busier and my spouse wanted a brand that our mechanic didn't like servicing because it's harder for him to get the parts. . For that one, we bring it in to the dealership, just because. Though, if there is an emergency, or someone weird, he will look at first to make sure we are not being taken for a ride.

If you find a trusted mechanic, and follow the schedule then you are fine.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts