Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw her excellent presentation to the crowd last night and as usual was really impressed by this sharp shooter. Bang on. Live below your means but within your needs. Find the new American Dream. She is urging everyone to have 8 months' emergency fund. I like her presentations. I think more people need to listen to her excellent money advice.

http://www.pbs.org/about/news/archive/2011/suze-orman-money-class/

This was on last night. Did anyone catch it? Comments?

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Everyone has their detractors. I think she offers excellent advice. Do I take ALL of it? No. But no one is expected to. I think we should hear her out. If people and gov'ts took her advice then we would be in this financial mess. It's never hard to find someone with an axe to grind when you are famous.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I am not a big Suze Orman fan. I lost some respect for her when I learned that she is on FICOs payroll. She mentions FICO constantly and I think that she had an obligation to divulge her affiliation with them - which she did not, she was outed by a financial journalist in the US.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Is there an equivalent media character to Orman in Canada? I haven't noticed anyone quite so pervasive, beyond what's been posted on websites.
Gail Vaz Oxlade? Alison Griffiths? Neither are as prominently featured as Orman, but they are the two I can think of off the top of my head.

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
I watch Suze every week and already bought her money class book the first day it came out.I think it is common sense that she is earning money off all her products she is selling from her website.I don't think she hides that and the past year she has tied alot of excess weight to debt so I expect one day soon for her to hook up with Jenny Craig or some weight loss product.
That does not discredit her in my opinion nor does the fact she was a waitress many many years ago .
The part I enjoy of her show is the 'can I afford it " and how am i doing section ,it is amazing what people do with their money.I love Suze and I think it would be great to see Gail Vaz Oxlade do a show based on this format which applies to Canada.

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
I am not a big Suze Orman fan. I lost some respect for her when I learned that she is on FICOs payroll. She mentions FICO constantly and I think that she had an obligation to divulge her affiliation with them - which she did not, she was outed by a financial journalist in the US.
Dana
Fico runs an affiliate program so anyone with a website can promote them and get a % .I believe it is 15% of sales.I am an affiliate ,the Suze Orman kit also includes some Suze advise and if you sell that kit the commission is a bit more. http://www.allaffiliateprograms.com/myfico/.I think any show discussing personal finance would have to mention Fico as it is an important thing .

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
Different people have different tastes, but I find Orman creepy and cultish. Of the American money gurus, my favourite is Clark Howard. In addition to the FICO fiasco, Orman has also been a shill for GM.
Clark Howard is my absolute hero.
He is a true gentleman and a consumer activist trouper.
I had the good fortune of meeting him twice in the US - once when he was doing a live show and another time when he casually shopping with his family.
I think one would be hard pressed to find someone that is such an impartial consumer activist as him.

Regarding Suze Orman, I have watched that show on PBS.
While I believe that any type of financial education is good for most ordinary Americans in times like these, I find her (and the show) quite tacky and self-serving.
Right in the middle of the show, there was at least a 20 min. self promoting section comprising of a hard sell of her books, CDs, DVDs, etc.
I read a couple of her books in the past and they were ok, again, quite patronizing and self-serving.

I'd pick Gail any day for her common sense down to earth financial advice.
But Clark Howard, I take my hat off to.

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
The money class is set up like a QVC type sell ,I bought the book before I seen the show.I know watching Suze has helped me understand the current housing crisis there ,about 16 months ago we thought we had to buy quickly down in USA but probably I will wait a year + before looking at our Florida/Arizona Investment purchase.Last night's show I thought was interesting to hear Suze say she and some other powerful people are trying to get laws changed so people can declare bankruptcy on student loans.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Although I did ask for and appreciate all the comments, I am a bit surprised that folks here are coming down so hard on Suze. Yes of course she needs to make money. Why are we villifying her for that? Most of the financial websites out there hammer visitors with ads and spyware, far in excess of her salespitches. I don't begrudge her a 5 minute plug for her books in the course of 90 min speech. Let's not be distracted by this and instead listen to what she is actually saying, like marina seems to be doing. Whether or not you agree with her approach or product pitches, her message is very clear and needs to be understood by the masses. People are not saving enough for their own retirement and rainy days, instead choosing to spend money they don't have and making lifestyle choices they can't afford. I see a strong woman giving people a good dose of badly-needed reality check.

·
Registered
12,440 Posts
I watched a bit of it this afternoon. I was left thinking: "Are people really that much dumber than me that they are willing to be talked down to in such a manner?"

I can't really complain about the content, but the delivery left me wanting.

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
Calling out Suze is like calling out CMF for running ads in the header.I read that article and really is bad taste to refer to her former waitress .There are some people that have many degrees that are complete Idiots as well.I do not know all Suze's background but she has to know something about money to have all these books and TV shows.
I follow Suze's show with my friend ,it is our saturday night thing we do .My friend has made quite a bit of changes in her life thanks to Suze .Over three years she had paid off $19,000 in credit card debt ,started her retirement goals and her emergency fund while trying to put kids through school.
The article about Suze is 7 years ago and if we want to read the entire article we have to pay lol
http://www.clarkhoward.com/clarksdeal/ and http://www.clarkhoward.com/ads/ also shows commercial deals that he is doing.If any of us had the vehicle that Suze does we would all be pumping the commercial endorsements so why should she be any different.

·
Registered
12,562 Posts
Suze Orman recommended people buy homes all the way through the home price implosion, which turned out to be a big mistake for anyone who listened to her advice.

She has focused her advice more narrowly and cautiously now, but the water is under the bridge already.

She is okay for day to day budgetting and simple financial matters, but certainly isn't someone who should be taken seriously for more intensive financial matters.

Spend less than you earn?.............pretty well textbook advice.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Although I did ask for and appreciate all the comments, I am a bit surprised that folks here are coming down so hard on Suze. Yes of course she needs to make money. Why are we villifying her for that? Most of the financial websites out there hammer visitors with ads and spyware, far in excess of her salespitches. I don't begrudge her a 5 minute plug for her books in the course of 90 min speech. Let's not be distracted by this and instead listen to what she is actually saying, like marina seems to be doing. Whether or not you agree with her approach or product pitches, her message is very clear and needs to be understood by the masses. People are not saving enough for their own retirement and rainy days, instead choosing to spend money they don't have and making lifestyle choices they can't afford. I see a strong woman giving people a good dose of badly-needed reality check.
I have to agree with you.

Our fellow posters seem to very upset with her message and her delivery.

She tells it like it is and yes she was once a waitress but she also has a degree from the University of Illinois and she has used her talent to create a vast financial empire. Her net worth is reportedly well over $100 million.

Perhaps her comments are hitting too close to home for some posters.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
She is okay for day to day budgetting and simple financial matters, but certainly isn't someone who should be taken seriously for more intensive financial matters.

Spend less than you earn?.............pretty well textbook advice.
I agree!

She is popular because many people need that 'simple' advice that she delivers; they don't go to her for stock picking advice & I happen to agree with a lot of what she says.

I also agree with TRM that some of the criticism is too harsh & no doubt motivated by jealousy [by those in the field]. It's human nature!

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
square root has it nailed, she's an entertainer.

i tried to remember her parents' take-out chicken establishment from when i used to live near the U of chicago, but i couldn't.

community had several weird eateries including a joint once labelled See Your Food Eat Your Food.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts