Canadian Money Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
NO, it is about calling out a poster who makes allegations that cannot be shown to be true. It is that kind of rumour and spreading of false information on social media that leads to some gullible people becoming scared and panicing. It is what leads to things like hoarding when it is not necessary.
... how can I have made allegations, not shown to be true and made rumours and spreaded false info when the proof is on the front page of a major publication that I provided you a link with. Unless you claiming CP24 is a fake news center. And talk about who is the guillible one, believing on one CEO's stance of "we will not increase any pricing" during this pandemic. Right, and who will be paying the salary increase/bonus for those heroic front-line store clerks working during these unprecedent times? Don't think the CEO and his cronies are going to take a pay cut, I haven't heard. Let me put it this way, that CEO who claimed no price increase already have high prices in this store to begin with so no further need to increase the price. Make you happy?

And speaking of who is actually scared and panicking (or more like freaking out) when he won't even step a toe outsiide and has to order "everything in" ... all in disguised of being "unselfish", "not trying to infect others" blab, blab, blab BS.

I get that you're a senior and possibly in a vulnerable, high risk category to take these actions. However, to accuse others of spreading rumours, false information and panicking when you're taking /displaying these actions tells me you such a HYPOCRITE.

BTW, have you put barbed wires around your house if you have as that delivery guy won't able to dump your boxload of TP/lsanitizers on your doorstep.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
I knew you would provide that link Beaver101. The point is they were slammed by Ford and he also said anyone they catch doing this will be come down on hard. The small chain in your link was OUTED, they were then called to account by Ford and they have had to reverse that price and are offering full refunds to anyone who bought at that price.
... well, you wanted proof from a "reputable" source since you didn't believe that a cannistor of Lysol wipes jumped from $3 to $8.49 at my local (major chain btw) pharmacy, within a week. That's not price gouging to you, then that must be "supply and demand" pricing and if you are happy with that, all the power to you.

One link to one person or company who tries to price gouge means nothing. Yes, some will try but the major players are not that stupid and in your previous post you TRIED to IMPLY that this was becoming common among retailers, it is NOT. Or you can try and provide links to companies like Walmart, Costco, President's Choice, etc. showing that it is.
... "one person/company" and "some" ... which is it? Still an attempt, isn't it? And you would (and still ) believe that the major chains won't make an attempt at that. Perhaps not now with Ford's warning.

It must be hard living in a world where you think everyone is a crook and out to rip you off Beaver101.
.. I didn't think "everyone" is a crook - that's your thinking and assumption. Nor do I think they're out to rip me off ... that's your accusation. Only the predatory assholes and there're plenty in this world.

Btw, don't forget your condescending advice in an earlier post telling me "to get out more", and go "selfishingly" infecting others while you hunker in your Fort Knox, freaking out with your rabid posts.

·
Registered
12,429 Posts
... how can I have made allegations, not shown to be true and made rumours and spreaded false info when the proof is on the front page of a major publication that I provided you a link with. Unless you claiming CP24 is a fake news center. And talk about who is the guillible one, believing on one CEO's stance of "we will not increase any pricing" during this pandemic. Right, and who will be paying the salary increase/bonus for those heroic front-line store clerks working during these unprecedent times? Don't think the CEO and his cronies are going to take a pay cut, I haven't heard. Let me put it this way, that CEO who claimed no price increase already have high prices in this store to begin with so no further need to increase the price. Make you happy?

And speaking of who is actually scared and panicking (or more like freaking out) when he won't even step a toe outsiide and has to order "everything in" ... all in disguised of being "unselfish", "not trying to infect others" blab, blab, blab BS.

I get that you're a senior and possibly in a vulnerable, high risk category to take these actions. However, to accuse others of spreading rumours, false information and panicking when you're taking /displaying these actions tells me you such a HYPOCRITE.

BTW, have you put barbed wires around your house if you have as that delivery guy won't able to dump your boxload of TP/lsanitizers on your doorstep.
Beaver, you realize that Loblaws also includes discount stores like nofrills and Superstore, right? Wonder where you buy your groceries.

Companies don't make promises about not raising prices when it can be shown to be false and earn them a lot of bad press, like Pusateris has discovered.

·
Registered
12,429 Posts
... well, you wanted proof from a "reputable" source since you didn't believe that a cannistor of Lysol wipes jumped from $3 to $8.49 at my local (major chain btw) pharmacy, within a week. That's not price gouging to you, then that must be "supply and demand" pricing and if you are happy with that, all the power to you.

... "one person/company" and "some" ... which is it? Still an attempt, isn't it? And you would (and still ) believe that the major chains won't make an attempt at that. Perhaps not now with Ford's warning.

.. I didn't think "everyone" is a crook - that's your thinking and assumption. Nor do I think they're out to rip me off ... that's your accusation. Only the predatory assholes and there're plenty in this world.

Btw, don't forget your condescending advice in an earlier post telling me "to get out more", and go "selfishingly" infecting others while you hunker in your Fort Knox, freaking out with your rabid posts.
Were the wipes on sale for $3? You can't expect retailers to maintain promotional pricing indefinitely.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Pusateri did claim that their supplier charged them a higher price and they applied their standard markup. Not excusing them, but a partial (and somewhat) reasonable explanation.
those with higher spending capabilities will have some advantages in times like these when goods become less scarce. We’ve had to start shopping at major flagship chains (with their higher prices) simply out of need. Items which are in the $2-4 range at the discount grocers can easily be double at the flagships. If you’re out of work, it just compounds this issue.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
Beaver, you realize that Loblaws also includes discount stores like nofrills and Superstore, right? Wonder where you buy your groceries.
... I'm well aware of that. And that's why I shop mostly at Metro plus I have plenty of other places to shop at such as FoodBasics, Freshco/Price Chopper, etc. plus the local markets such as St. Lawrence plus all the ethnic stores, including momma and pappa ones.

Companies don't make promises about not raising prices when it can be shown to be false and earn them a lot of bad press, like Pusateris has discovered.
....Pusateris didn't make a promise. It just made dumb-assed, back-fired attempt to gouge consumers.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
Were the wipes on sale for $3?
... possibly but when I bought them at 2 for $6, there was no limit. Now as of this past week, there is a limit of 2 at a price of $8.49 each. God knows what that price will be next and I'm not paying that ridiculous price even I have ran out .. I'll figure out an alternative.
You can't expect retailers to maintain promotional pricing indefinitely.
... you can tell the poster who quoted a retailer stating "we won't increase our price during the pandemic".

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
Pusateri did claim that their supplier charged them a higher price and they applied their standard markup. Not excusing them, but a partial (and somewhat) reasonable explanation.
those with higher spending capabilities will have some advantages in times like these when goods become less scarce. We’ve had to start shopping at major flagship chains (with their higher prices) simply out of need. Items which are in the $2-4 range at the discount grocers can easily be double at the flagships. If you’re out of work, it just compounds this issue.
... I can understand and live with a "double" pricing (preferably) or even triple the price (eventually). But at $30 a can? And with the BS excuse of "Oops! We (a clerk) made a mistake" and then back-tracking saying "well the manufacturer jacked up their prices (right, 10 x the cost) and we only set up our standard mark-up". Kinda late and BIG MISTAKE if that was "truly" a mistake.

·
Registered
12,429 Posts
... I'm well aware of that. And that's why I shop mostly at Metro plus I have plenty of other places to shop at such as FoodBasics, Freshco/Price Chopper, etc. plus the local markets such as St. Lawrence plus all the ethnic stores, including momma and pappa ones.

....Pusateris didn't make a promise. It just made dumb-assed, back-fired attempt to gouge consumers.
Metro is even more expensive than Loblaws...?

·
Registered
12,429 Posts
... possibly but when I bought them at 2 for $6, there was no limit. Now as of this past week, there is a limit of 2 at a price of $8.49 each. God knows what that price will be next and I'm not paying that ridiculous price even I have ran out .. I'll figure out an alternative. ... you can tell the poster who quoted a retailer stating "we won't increase our price during the pandemic".
The promise is that they won't raise regular prices to take advantage of the pandemic. You are being totally unreasonable if you think the promise meant that promotional pricing will be maintained forever. I guarantee that all your favoured retailers have had promotional pricing that ended (and new ones that started), so they all jacked up prices on you. If something was priced 2 for X, it is generally promotional pricing.

·
Registered
16,702 Posts
Let's not forget the range of products normally available. Some are cheaper than others. If the cheap ones are all sold out, then you get what remains. The store has not raised the price on anything... those higher priced items always existed. You just chose not to buy them before.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Beaver101 lives in a world where everyone is out to rip him off. No one is going to convince him otherwise with logic guys.

We just got a grocery delivery yesterday as I wrote on another thread. My wife did not see any prices that were any different from usual. Either regular price or promotional price, as always.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
Metro is even more expensive than Loblaws...?
.. on par or just as expensive. However, I boycott or choose not to shop the latter in this case not because of the prices but one of service. Management's (corporate) indifference to a consumer's direct complaint, long story short.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
Beaver101 lives in a world where everyone is out to rip him off. No one is going to convince him otherwise with logic guys.
... right, just as you presume everyone outside your bunk is going to infect you.

We just got a grocery delivery yesterday as I wrote on another thread. My wife did not see any prices that were any different from usual. Either regular price or promotional price, as always.
... right, shop away and don't return here to brag about the lower prices you'll be getting in a couple of weeks or months' time. Let's see how long your retailer is going to hold out those cheap prices for you.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
The promise is that they won't raise regular prices to take advantage of the pandemic. You are being totally unreasonable if you think the promise meant that promotional pricing will be maintained forever.
... no, you're making an assumption.

I guarantee that all your favoured retailers have had promotional pricing that ended (and new ones that started), so they all jacked up prices on you. If something was priced 2 for X, it is generally promotional pricing.
... we shall see ... in a couple of months (or weeks') time. Not promotional items but regular priced items.
Hopefully, Ford's warning will be enough:

Ford unveils new fines to punish 'un-Canadian' price gouging

I'll definitely jot down that toll-free number.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I know my regular prices, sale prices and general cycles and seasons for items. I know the prices for Superstore, Costco, No Frills, Sobeys/Safeway, and my local Coop, plus a few other local grocers in town.

I can say that if you normally buy regular price, the prices haven't increased too much, with the exception of toilet paper, paper towels, Kleenex, and hand sanitizer when found. Lysol wipes I usually ONLY get them on sale, and that's pretty much not going to happen during this pandemic. I did see them at my Superstore for a few minutes, the regular price was $7 which is $1 more than what it was pre-pandemic. The 4 pack was $21 which is up $3. Sales are still happening, but I am not even trying to get any.

The other thing I did notice is they are putting many items as a 'group buy' but they are not advertised special. The regular price is much higher than it used to be (up to 25%) but if you buy the 'group buy' it is regular price. It comes off as a sale price, but it is not. The problem with this is it's getting people to buy more than they need at regular price but they think its on sale. Items I specifically saw last week were: canned tuna, salmon, beans, soups, sauces, Spam, pasta, pretty much most of the non perishables that many were trying to get.

I did notice this week, there was less of that especially on the non 'hot' pandemic items. Something to keep in mind. They are technically keeping their prices the same but they are advertising their regular prices as sale or group, and have increased some of their regular prices. I don' have a link but this is something I have observed first hand.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts