Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It feels like it’s been a couple (or more) weeks of the toilet paper panic buying. We were told early on that the supply chain is fine and that inventory will be available “next week”.

We live in rural Ontario about 20 mins outside of a city of 30,000 with all the traditional big-box stores. We still haven’t been able to buy toilet paper, wipes, hand sanitizer, sugar, flour, yeast. Canned goods, Tylenol, Advil also hard to come by.

do you think we’ll return to normal (being able to pick up some TP at any time of the day) anytime soon? Is there more to this? I fear that when the inevitable death toll spikes in the US, the panic buying could get worse. If people feel the only way to remain safe is to hunker down for a month or two, it could get ugly. Could we see dedicated shopping times based on last name?

When will Amazon inventory return? whats it like in your home towns? Any online sources working for you? We couldn’t even add TP at Walmart for a grocery store pick-up we‘re making on April 1.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Not helpful... but avoid ebay. $800 US for 4 rolls. If your on septic, 2 rolls of septic safe TP are $750 !

·
Registered
12,104 Posts
They are still making toilet paper. It is probably now a situation where people see TP, they buy TP whether they need it or not. It could be weeks until everyone has so much they don't give in to this impulse. There is new TP being delivered to stores regularly, it just gets snapped up by people giving into the hoarding instinct. People are scared.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Yes hoarding is still a problem in many places. Our location is similar to yours Money172375, somewhat rural, small town. The last time we went to a larger supermarket a couple of weeks ago, shelves were empty. However, they were not empty in our local small town (3000 Pop.) Foodland. Home delivery from that small supermarket is also still same day.

The supply chain is still working just fine but people are continuing to hoard. You might also want to look at your own opening comment and give it some thought. " It feels like it’s been a couple (or more) weeks of the toilet paper panic buying."

What's so LONG about a couple of weeks? Just how FAST do you think people should be in getting over their panic and resulting hoarding? We live in a world today where we expect everything to be nearly instant. But not everything in the world is instant. Give it a few more weeks to settle down. Once everyone has hoarded 3 months of toilet paper, the shelves will be full again.

·
Registered
12,104 Posts
The manufacturers also know that once this surge of demand passes they won't be able to give it away for months afterwards.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Saw a few stories the other day about people trying to return massive amounts of TP to Costco and other stores and being refused. REEEEEE then they have a melt down ha ha looks good on them.

·
Super Moderator
2,993 Posts
Saw a few stories the other day about people trying to return massive amounts of TP to Costco and other stores and being refused. REEEEEE then they have a melt down ha ha looks good on them.
lmao, if I saw that in a store I would literally point and laugh at them ... but that's just me. :)

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
And now the retailers are gouging with "new" (supply & demand) prices" for the new supplies. Now 8 rolls of TP for $12.49 versus 2 weeks' ago $3.99. Lysol wipes is even better at $8.49!!!! now versus just "one" week ago of 2 bottles for $6 at my local pharmacy. I can't imagine what's selling at other retailers other than hearing one major "Canadian" whose specialty was "Tires & Auto" servicing were already introducing new "supply and demand" "double pricing" at the beginning of the month of March!!!! If this is not price gouging, I don't know what it is.

Supply & demand, my derriere!!!! Holy :poop: !!!!

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Major retailers like President's Choice, Sobeys, etc. have already said weeks ago that they will NOT be increasing prices for items that people have been hoarding. They made those announcements specifically to try and discourage hoarding.

If you are seeing examples of price gouging Beaver101, then CALL OUT those retailers you see doing it. Otherwise, your comment is just rumour and not worth reading. Provide links if you can so we can see this price gouging for ourselves.

I have no doubt there are individuals on sites like E-Bay or Kijiji, etc. who are doing what you suggest but I seriously doubt you can provide a link which shows Canadian Tire is 'introducing new supply and demand double pricing.'

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Major retailers like President's Choice, Sobeys, etc. have already said weeks ago that they will NOT be increasing prices for items that people have been hoarding. They made those announcements specifically to try and discourage hoarding.

If you are seeing examples of price gouging Beaver101, then CALL OUT those retailers you see doing it. Otherwise, your comment is just rumour and not worth reading. Provide links if you can so we can see this price gouging for ourselves.

I have no doubt there are individuals on sites like E-Bay or Kijiji, etc. who are doing what you suggest but I seriously doubt you can provide a link which shows Canadian Tire is 'introducing new supply and demand double pricing.'
this is exciting......who shall prevail?

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
... sorry, only you would be so naive to believe that.

... no, not a rumour. I was there at the store and saw that astronomical price increase with my 2 own eyeballs. I thought a jump from $3 to $8.49 was outrageous ... look at this piece of news as proof since my post didn't convince you enough: $30 now, CHEAP!

'Absolutely disgusting:' Ford slams upscale Toronto grocery chain for jacking up price on Lysol wipes

And no need to call out these retailers ... I simply boycott them. Example, I haven't stepped into a Loblaws for more than a decade.

... I don't need to provide a link (as see above proof that it's happening) and can't because they're specific items. Retailers are playing games with the prices (mostly jacking them up) based on the label of "supply and demand", not "gouging".

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
... sorry, only you would be so naive to believe that.

... no, not a rumour. I was there at the store and saw that astronomical price increase with my 2 own eyeballs. I thought a jump from $3 to $8.49 was outrageous ... look at this piece of news as proof since my post didn't convince you enough: $30 now, CHEAP!

'Absolutely disgusting:' Ford slams upscale Toronto grocery chain for jacking up price on Lysol wipes

And no need to call out these retailers ... I simply boycott them. Example, I haven't stepped into a Loblaws for more than a decade.

... I don't need to provide a link (as see above proof that it's happening) and can't because they're specific items. Retailers are playing games with the prices (mostly jacking them up) based on the label of "supply and demand", not "gouging".
I knew you would provide that link Beaver101. The point is they were slammed by Ford and he also said anyone they catch doing this will be come down on hard. The small chain in your link was OUTED, they were then called to account by Ford and they have had to reverse that price and are offering full refunds to anyone who bought at that price.

One link to one person or company who tries to price gouge means nothing. Yes, some will try but the major players are not that stupid and in your previous post you TRIED to IMPLY that this was becoming common among retailers, it is NOT. Or you can try and provide links to companies like Walmart, Costco, President's Choice, etc. showing that it is.

It must be hard living in a world where you think everyone is a crook and out to rip you off Beaver101.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I knew you would provide that link Beaver101. The point is they were slammed by Ford and he also said anyone they catch doing this will be come down on hard. The small chain in your link was OUTED, they were then called to account by Ford and they have had to reverse that price and are offering full refunds to anyone who bought at that price.

One link to one person or company who tries to price gouge means nothing. Yes, some will try but the major players are not that stupid and in your previous post you TRIED to IMPLY that this was becoming common among retailers, it is NOT. Or you can try and provide links to companies like Walmart, Costco, President's Choice, etc. showing that it is.

It must be hard living in a world where you think everyone is a crook and out to rip you off Beaver101.
tie game!

this is all about keeping score....isn’t it? Lol

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
tie game!

this is all about keeping score....isn’t it? Lol
NO, it is about calling out a poster who makes allegations that cannot be shown to be true. It is that kind of rumour and spreading of false information on social media that leads to some gullible people becoming scared and panicing. It is what leads to things like hoarding when it is not necessary.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Well, we needed some groceries and I went to 4 major grocery stores this morning....Superstore, Costco, No Frills, and Freshco. The shortest line outside was at least 60 people so I turned around and went home.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Well, we needed some groceries and I went to 4 major grocery stores this morning....Superstore, Costco, No Frills, and Freshco. The shortest line outside was at least 60 people so I turned around and went home.
Try off hours if you want to shop instore Prairie Guy. After 9 pm for example may be better. If you are a senior, many stores are now dedicating specific times.

Check for your location.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I'm not a senior. Normally I go early but those hours are now often reserved for seniors. I'll have to check their websites next time as most stores also have reduced hours.

·
Registered
12,104 Posts
Anecdotally, I'm hearing that the evening hours before closing are best (most stores close by 8 pm). I went and picked up my meat and veggies for the week last night, no line outside. There was a decent line for checkout (with the social distancing it wrapped around the store... maybe 30-40 people deep in queue for all the different checkouts. I used the self-checkout instead, but still had to wait maybe 10 minutes in line.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts