Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else been impacted by the supply chain issues?

I’ve got a few.

1. our new kitchen to replace the one damaged by a flood in Florida. We received a partial shipment from IKEA. The rest is nowhere to be found, Ikea can’t give us an estimate on when it will arrive. Of course, the corner cabinet is missing and the installer won’t start without it.

2. bought a mattress and bed from costco in Canada. Mattress delivered in one week. New bed. 6-8 weeks.

3. brother and friend both bought new cars. A chevy and a Kia. 6-8 month wait for both.

A friend of mine works in shipping logistics. He said there is a record 100+ ships waiting for a berth off the coast of California.

·
Registered
7,999 Posts
^ Plenty with more to come ... latest is a box of laundry soap - 3 or ? weeks delivery. Not sweating it if it's non life-threatening or an emergency.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Bought a fireplace/TV stand from the brick. A popular one. It's not in stock in store, and I will have it in March.

Also, trying to get a "vision grill" Kamado grill. There's about one in the entire city, so it's not exactly priced the way I would like.

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
In the US trains are being looted and the train workers are threatening to strike

There's pictures of discarded boxes along the rail lines.

Could be a lot more supply chain issues to come

·
Registered
17,730 Posts
We have been stocking up for the whole pandemic, so hopefully won't be needing anything in shortage. It seems we always need something though.

Our son wanted to trade in his pickup truck for an SUV, so we put a down payment on a new SUV a week ago.

It arrived today, he looked it over and we are signing the papers tonight. We buy the vehicle in our joint names to get the best interest rates, GM retiree discounts, and align with the insurance.

He got a high trade in value and we got an employee discount of $6K so it worked out.

Our sales guy said he had a lineup of customers if we didn't want it.

They have almost nothing new to sell and are asking if we know anyone interested in selling them a used vehicle. They gotta sell something to keep the sales people employed.

Supply chain issues with semiconductors are really hurting new vehicle dealers.

I figure our son got about $15K more for trade in value than he would have pre-pandemic.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Not personally because I'm a low consumer, although there are a couple grocery items I usually buy that I have not seen in months.

But as the IT guy in the small company I work for, I've had to create several new reports for finding out which of our customers ordered specific products and when the original delivery was due, as our vendors are now constantly informing us of new delays. I also overheard my boss on the phone explaining that shipping container costs have gone up like x5 than from before Covid.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
I have imported a bunch of stuff from China, coming by boat. There were minimal delays on the asia side. About 3 weeks delay on the Canada side, mostly with cross docking onto a truck and then getting it out of the lower mainland with floods and snow. I have 3 more shipments arriving over the next few months and I don't expect anything ridiculous.
Shipping by air is ridiculously expensive, or at least was mid last year.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
A part we need to repair a machine has been just delayed by 3 weeks. Supplier said it is due to Vaccine mandate for truckers being implemented on saturday - inflation is politician induced

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
The current supply issues and pricing environment has convinced us to stop looking for a new SUV. Our low km 2006 Accord is still running like a top and probably cannot depreciate much further.

Long time go before we have to replace timing belt, tires, or brakes so we will just stick until the supply/demand curve is at the very least neutral.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
The current supply issues and pricing environment has convinced us to stop looking for a new SUV.
Hearing this a lot, and it's making me think we are heading into a multi-year shortage of vehicle deliveries, as well as annual price increases way above normal, which will not abate for 5 years. Lots of vehicle purchase deferrals from 2020, 2021, and now 2022, that will need to bought eventuallly in 2023-2026. While I'd normal buy a 3 year used vehicle, I think we're in a situation now where that doesn't have a lot of value, and I might as well put in my order for a new one now and wait the 6+ months for delivery. I can't wait 3+ years for the market to get back to normal (probably at a 20% higher permanent normal). I need a bigger vehicle sooner than later.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Hearing this a lot, and it's making me think we are heading into a multi-year shortage of vehicle deliveries, as well as annual price increases way above normal, which will not abate for 5 years. Lots of vehicle purchase deferrals from 2020, 2021, and now 2022, that will need to bought eventuallly in 2023-2026. While I'd normal buy a 3 year used vehicle, I think we're in a situation now where that doesn't have a lot of value, and I might as well put in my order for a new one now and wait the 6+ months for delivery. I can't wait 3+ years for the market to get back to normal (probably at a 20% higher permanent normal). I need a bigger vehicle sooner than later.
It is different for us. Pre covid our car was sitting in the garage for 4 months while we traveled. And we primarily used our summer car for another 3-4 months. Just the two of us. So...we are under no pressure to buy unless something untoward happens to our daily drive.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ordered an Audi S5 Sportback 2022 in September after having sold my 2019 in two hours on Kijiji. "Was scheduled for this month - January." Delayed until April and the sales rep kinda played me. Cancelled the deal, deposit returned. Found a stock one by chance, that was cancelled by the customer who ordered it in June. Discount equivalent to 30% of what I negotiated in September

On the business side, it is hell. Raw material costs exploded (+66% for steel). Containers from Asia including NZ are very hard to get by and you have to reserve a long time ahead.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
These supply chain issues may be resolved sooner than we think.Covid cases already falling in England and parts of the US. Experts predict that in a few weeks covid will be a small problem, by spring practically negligible. Once things go back to normal and production and supply ramp up any shortages should be resolved in weeks.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Our daughter and son in law have several housing projects on the go. Very difficult to source some things. Appliances and roof vents last week, something else this week. Causing delays and increasing construction costs.

Same for friends who are having a home built. Material delays forced them to move in while work was being completed because they could not push their temporary rental accommodation out any further.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Shortage been going on since the start of Covid. I've experienced lots of minor disruptions here and there. Most notably:

Purchased appliances 10 months ago and received them in stages. Received last piece just this past week.

Purchased a car in 2021......had waited 3 weeks to receive it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts