Canadian Money Forum banner
161 - 180 of 225 Posts

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Ok, forget Eric. I heard similar comments from many other sources. It's just common sense. Suncor traded at the same price level when oil was 40% higher. It's as if oil price doesn't matter at all.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Yes, I agree the price has rebound caked into it

from 2010 to 2015 the stock hasn't moved much, whereas most other stocks doubled++

I think this stock is in a lot of pension funds, and they are patient with it

I don't know if any oil names are worth a buy... expect BAD.to but they are a bit different

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yes, I agree the price has rebound caked into it

from 2010 to 2015 the stock hasn't moved much, whereas most other stocks doubled++

I think this stock is in a lot of pension funds, and they are patient with it

I don't know if any oil names are worth a buy... expect BAD.to but they are a bit different
True, it really hasn't moved, but on the bright side, when oil dropped to $40, it still didn't fluctuate out of the norm, proving its resilience. I have position in Suncor becuase of this reason, it acts as a hedge against pretty much everything and I chip off tiny blocks when it rises a bit too much during a week while buying a bit more when it drops during the next. With a healthy revenue stream and ever strong balance sheets, its definitely in my opinion one of the slowest but safest stocks to buy in the country.

·
Registered
24,069 Posts
Now here is an incredible stock. It is dramatically outperforming its sector, check out this chart of Suncor price divided by XEG
http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=SU.TO:XEG.TO&p=D&yr=5&mn=0&dy=0&id=p58124875815

If you're a shareholder, you've really picked a winner here. That's an amazing 5 year outperformance. The sector may be doing horribly, but you're doing the best anyone can hope for within that sector.

Here's the opposite case. Barrick Gold versus the gold sector:
http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=ABX.TO:XGD.TO&p=D&yr=5&mn=0&dy=0&id=p73165109168

·
Registered
13,126 Posts
CNQ is not far behind and check out IMO. The latter blows SU out of the ballpark. The lesson here is to sometimes look at those with (relatively) low dividend yields and a reputation for project and financial management. Course it helps that all 3 have a downstream position, especially IMO and SU.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just a question - I have a synthetic drip on Suncor for a few years now. The ex div date was Dec 2, and Payment date was 24, but i haven't seen a payment of any kind. Anyone have any insight into what may have happened?

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
161 - 180 of 225 Posts