Canadian Money Forum banner
141 - 160 of 229 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Some of the big names like SU might be overbought. Money moving into the safe companies. Just my 2 cents. Investors seem to be playing catch up in the smaller and middle size names and also working ahead of the market as most expect low oil to be short lived. Seems to me that a 2% change in oil leads to a 5% spike in respective stock prices. Obviously, this can't continue...eventually things will match out.
Seems like banks (housing at play too obviously) and engineering and construction stocks such as snc got crushed with oil and haven't participated in the rally at all. seems to be the more compelling play to me.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Housing is a big drag on banks it would seem. Even more than oil, plus credit is about done it's expansion. Banks have come up a bit on oil, but you're right, there are other factors. I'm watching banks a bit, but I'm not biting yet.

Turning my eye to the smaller oil companies...if you're looking for some hidden value, gotta be careful though.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Seems like banks (housing at play too obviously) and engineering and construction stocks such as snc got crushed with oil and haven't participated in the rally at all. seems to be the more compelling play to me.
NA being one of the banks with the most oil exposure corrected quite nicely along with some of the oil stocks. it's also participating in the rally a little moe than some of the other banks, up over 4% today (vs 2% for some of the other banks).

·
Registered
915 Posts
Earned an EPS of 6 cents in Q4, down 81% from prior year. If you annualize that, SU is trading at about 150x earnings. Even on a cashflow basis (1.03 per share for Q4), they are trading at 9x 4th quarter annualized numbers.

The only way the current valuation can be justified is if WTI returns to near normal levels sometime this year. There is very little oil price discount in effect right now.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I agree, the big names have already priced in forward price increase of oil. The middle companies are pretty darn close if not there already. To find value (risk) one has to go lower in the food chain to the small caps. LRE (0.9 to 1.27) and PWT (yes I know, but it was trading at 1.8 and now 2.75) have been ridding much higher in recent days than other companies. Playing catch-up.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
SU is integrated, so they do not just do business in crude but also in chemicals and retail. A drop in crude prices makes those other LOBs more profitable. I think part of their staying power is due to a flight-to-quality artificially pumping up the price, but I also think there is a basis of quality there. I haven't looked at their reports to see how much money comes from where, so maybe I'm full of it.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I believe suncor has the lowest debt of all the companies also...
I bought suncor before the meltdown, im even again :)

Part of me wants to sell it to hide from oil, but the other part wants to at least gain some % ^_^ greed i guess

The other companies tanked... SU held steady... the other companies are going up 10% a day, whereas SU says at 2% it's all balancing out

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
SU is integrated, so they do not just do business in crude but also in chemicals and retail. A drop in crude prices makes those other LOBs more profitable. I think part of their staying power is due to a flight-to-quality artificially pumping up the price, but I also think there is a basis of quality there. I haven't looked at their reports to see how much money comes from where, so maybe I'm full of it.
agree, su is where you go when you don't want to own oil but think that you have to own some oil

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am also puzzled by the stock price in light of their latest earning report. Does not seem to add up. If oil price stay at current level for a few more quarters, wouldn't EPS crash ?

·
Registered
562 Posts
interesting i think it was easy to predict a NDP victory, but I didn't think of the effects on the market

NDP will have trouble attacking these guys, they probably don't want to stir the pot before the federal election later this year

if oil keeps going up, suncor will keep making monies

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Suncor closed $37 today. It traded at the same level in the second half of 2013, when WTI hovered around $100. Oil is 40% lower today. Eric Nuttall made a point that most oil majors are discounting a much higher oil price. An argument can be made they got well ahead of the oil price recovery. Or, in other words, they detached from the fundamentals. And that's before NDP majority.

·
Registered
562 Posts
http://www.nickldown.com/BNN034.html

above is a link to Eric Nuttalls top picks

not really great returns

he might as well be a technical analyst, and just flip coins on the show

Eric is known to say buy something this week, and sell it the next

his short positions won't be on these stocks forever ;)

Will have to agree that most oil stocks have a recovery bound into their price already... but i'm not playing with much so i'd rather hold than jump in and out with fees
oil has been sneaking up :) and selling chocolate bars at petro canada has been keeping Suncor a float

141 - 160 of 229 Posts