Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, based on what i've read here so far, my understanding is that there is not a sheet that recommends what a novice investor should buy..that all these subscriptions touted are pure hype? if you believe otherwise, can you indicate which one you use and why?

·
Banned
424 Posts
Financial Post Report (FP Corporate Reports)
Daily updated two-page decision maker tools that combine company description, latest results, nine months of recent developments, fundamental data and ratios, I/B/E/S consensus estimates and customized charting functionality.

I use these mainly to track EPS history, but there is a lot of other info too about a company.

But you have to decide for yourself what to invest in, based upon your knowledge, risk tolerance, time horizon, level of wealth, level of income, tax deferment vehicles, and the investment policy you develop after considering these factors.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
ten you are joking, right. You surely don't believe that a newsletter exists that will lead novice investor-subscribers straight to the promised land, right.

as former pit trader mark wolfinger always says to option novices who want to believe that this or that $10,000 option trading seminar series will enable instant millions, If the Principals really had such a Platform why would they Sell it to You.

the bank-owned onliners provide good basic research like fin post, reuters & first alert reports; and nearly always provide daily research from their investment banking divisions. Some, like tdw, provide 20 or 30 other suites of valuable research tools. I'm not able to know what privately-owned online houses offer.

myself i thought that kcowan had a good suggestion for you. He wrote that you might prepare to ask your employer for extensive employment retraining if indeed you are ever let go.

and all along, of course, you could study how to invest. You mention you already have resources. How have you been investing them. Even if you're not entirely happy with the results, they are going to be your cornerstone.

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
With investing your money, there is only one advisor you can trust: you.
There is only one way to learn: by doing.
And there is only one cost: your time & money.

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
even as i wrote it, humble, i knew that it wasn't likely..why try make money off a tip sheet if you can get rich investing yourself but...never hurts to ask. don't want to leave any stone unturned. unfortunately, the company i work for would "no longer require my services" if i get let go so retraining i don't think would be an option. not to work with them anyway. i've already checked out career counselling extensively through our company resources. i know what i could be really good at aside from what i'm doing now, but being 49 is going to be a huge barrier to decent employment.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Every investor has different needs and lifestyles to meet. There is no one method to follow, each strategy and style for investiing will also vary.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts