Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you subscribe to any papers or magazines? I just got a Moneysense subscription but it's print edition is ending. Is the Globe and Mail worth $6.00 a week?

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
We now get Moneysense for free. Online at our local library. We just log in to our library account and pull it up.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sometimes I think I read Moneysense for a good laugh. In the last issue, they said that GICs are great. You can get 2.5% interest and your money is safe for 5 years. Oh boy. You can get more than that by just owning their stocks for 5 years and getting 4% dividends.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I used to pick up a copy of Moneysense once in a while. No longer. I find many of the articles quite lame. One in a while you get a good one which is why I periodically check the library on line copy. My sense is that many of the articles are repetitive and much of the information is available gratis on line through various sources. I do however read their evaluation of Canadian charitable groups.

There have been recent cutbacks at this publication. Staff and number of issues. I suspect that in addition to fewer issues the quality of the content will depreciate.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It's probably a lot more frugal to just follow bloggers online - you stay more up to date and it's a lot quicker than waiting for your subscription each month.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Moneysense is hit or miss for me. I generally find it pretty repetitive at this point. How many articles can you really write about indexing?
I will say though, I have a soft spot for Norm Rothery; one of the first people who got me into value + quantitative investing for stock selection.

·
Registered
302 Posts
The only subscription I still have is The Connolly Report. It's not that I look for new advice, as he does not make recommendation, just that I owe our Financial Freedom to his strategy. I gladly continue the subscription and he does provide good information and continues to remind us how we continue to be successful.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts