Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While so many are self isolated or quarantined, especially with kids in the house, let's post some things to do to keep people a little occupied and maybe learn something.

I will post some things and hope others do the same.

·
Registered
11,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Learn to become a good cribbage player. I have worked up to playing PRO level and winning games. I win/lose based on the cards dealt now instead of my mistakes.

·
Registered
11,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try to win this wooden peg game that many will remember used to sit on restaurant tables. (There are Youtube videos with the solution)

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Complete tax returns
Mine almost done - just need to get T3s and complete medical expenses and donations. Then optimize pension split.

Update ACBs
Done for 2019 and even 2020 to date.

Review portfolios.
Looking to switch higher risk holdings to blue chips.

Clean up yard
Once weather in Ontario warms up, will get outside and clean up the broken limbs etc that collect over the winter.

Exercise
Go for walks and bike rides. Practice social distancing. We are in country, so no problem there.

Get Out
Go for ride in car and see what is going on. Just stay in car!

Chores
Do all the things that we put put off in normal times. Tidy storage areas. Clean up garage.

and list goes on....

·
Registered
11,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We live in a townhouse and have a wooden porch on the front, patio in the back and small park behind us that nobody uses because there is nothing there.

We can get out a little, but I feel for people living in high rise apartments and condos. Some have balconies, but many don't. Going out their door puts them at risk.

·
Registered
11,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry, wrong thread. Still trying to get the hang of this new setup. We need an edit feature please.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I have no shortage of stuff to do. My GF moved in in December during a major reno. Then we went way for January and February. We have boxes to empty, stuff to sort and purge while combining 2 houses into 1, plus I'm still finishing the reno.

Many people can take care of the small jobs around the house that they haven't gotten to or take on a small project. Clean the garage, purge excess stuff, etc.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
A lot of people have stocked up on canned goods and dry beans, macaroni, flour etc but what about fresh food? How about growing your own sprouts in trays or mason jars or green onions, herbs and lettuce in window boxes if you don't have a garden? If you do have a garden you could start your tomato and pepper plants in little pots on top of the fridge (it's warmer there).

Something fun and useful to do that the family can get involved in.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Sorry, wrong thread. Still trying to get the hang of this new setup. We need an edit feature please.
There is an edit feature. They just keep it secret. You have to click on the 3 vertical dots top right of your message.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
As an avid reader who reads an average of 3-4 books per week, the closing of the libraries required me to change my habits in this regard.

Fortunately, I have a fairly extensive library of my own and many of the books are well worth re-reading. Some in fact I have re-read multiple times.

I also have a Kobo E-reader I bought several years back to explore the novelty of e-reading. Somehow it just does not provide the same experience as turning real pages in a real book and it didn't hold my interest for long. I have now got it out of the drawer it was lying in and after recharging it, I am reading some of the 100 Classics it came pre-loaded with. I can also of course download new books online to read on it as well.

Readers are rarely at a loss for 'stuff to do'.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts