Canadian Money Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
I think that misses the point. Why should any Canadian need to pay anything to file taxes, even if the price is modest? Seems to me, as Canadians, we should be demanding simple, straight forward, single page submission at worst.
I didn't miss the point - You don't have to pay anything at all if you don't want to. Nobody insists that you do. What you are paying for when using 3rd party software, is convenience and accuracy. If you so wish, you can download any one of several tax programs, do your taxes off-line without cost. Then fill the numbers in on a paper return and hand deliver it to a drop off location. Or skip the software step and do the return by hand as we all used to do. So I don't know what the beef is.

I agree it would be beneficial if the tax system was simplified, but that's another subject.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I believe the paper forms are still available at Canada Post offices.

I've used StudioTax for the past 6 years, since I began investing in stocks in 2014. I figured it would simplify things a bit. I had only used the paper forms prior to that.

I like the software. I often send $10 or $15 their way, so this change doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Then fill the numbers in on a paper return and hand deliver it to a drop off location. Or skip the software step and do the return by hand as we all used to do. So I don't know what the beef is.
The beef is paying for software that is really just a spreadsheet. I'm for a better system, not the status quo.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Studio Tax isn't the most user friendly application available to do your taxes. Just compare it to the premium and online versions, you'll know what I mean. Besides, most people inherently don't like change so they keep using the same old quasi-junk they have because they're used to it. Studio Tax hasn't changed their interface since it's inception back in 2004.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Studio Tax hasn't changed their interface since it's inception back in 2004?
Have you been using it since then? The interface is not the 'same', maybe 'similar'? I would think that would be a plus for most users. The underlying program has changed quite a bit behind that interface.

Doesn't hold your hand, if that is what you need.

I long ago gave up on paying $50 or $60 for Quicktax (predecessor of Turbo tax)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have you been using it since then? The interface is not the 'same', maybe 'similar'? I would think that would be a plus for most users. The underlying program has changed quite a bit behind that interface.
Of course, I have because it was free. I emailed support on many occasions and they're as belligerent, defensive, aloof, dismissive and unforthcoming as their Team Studio Tax fanboys and McDonald Trump supporters. We live in strange times, indeed.

If one doesn't suffer from confirmation bias, they will notice there is ample feedback and complaints on its interface and non-intuitive application in general.

But I get it, "many" people don't like change, They are accustomed to doing things the way they always have. They ignore the possibility of being closed-minded and failing to realize there might be a simpler and easier way. I find it's so easy to make an error with ST and difficult to check your work. It's not easy on one's eyes.

This pandemic has brought to light how we are very divided and are thinking very differently. There will always be those who love to do things in a complicated way because they're used to it. Take for example Linux users. I tried Linux and my brain was spinning just trying to do something basic.

Applications need updating, not just under the hood. Team Studio Tax are dinosaurs stuck in their world along with their missionaries. There are major reasons why (in most cases) applications rarely stay the same visually and feature-wise. From my experience, Team Studio Tax only believe in changing things under the hood. With their fanbase, they will continue and never modernize. Just maybe...by charging a fee now, this might give them an incentive to modernize their interface because obviously, their donation metric wasn't working.
Doesn't hold your hand, if that is what you need.
Excuse me? There are other applications that have a night and day different easy to use interface than ST's non-intuitive clunky one. And their wizards are 100x better than ST's.
I long ago gave up on paying $50 or $60 for Quicktax (predecessor of Turbo tax)
There were always free or [much] less expensive options available. If I had to pay $60 for a single return, I'd use H&R Block or a freemium volunteer service.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Of course, I have because it was free.
Seems you have had a long free run with Studio Tax if you have used it since 2004. Took you a long time to decide it was not a good application :)

All of your posts CMF so far have been about Studio Tax. May be time to move on and take part in some of the other CMF discussions?

And, let us know which free tax program you choose and how you like it.

·
Registered
10,881 Posts
... But I get it, "many" people don't like change, They are accustomed to doing things the way they always have. They ignore the possibility of being closed-minded and failing to realize there might be a simpler and easier way.
And if you weren't so focused on how your favorite tax software speeds up whatever it has for you, you might have noticed that for some - changing tax software makes an insignificant difference for their needs. If there's no gain - why would one want to switch?

... I find it's so easy to make an error with ST and difficult to check your work. It's not easy on one's eyes.
Having switched something like five times, I'd be interested in a more detailed example. I haven't found any of them easy on the eyes where the potential for errors and methods of checking for errors have pretty much been identical.

... This pandemic has brought to light how we are very divided and are thinking very differently. There will always be those who love to do things in a complicated way because they're used to it.
It took a pandemic to notice that people value different things? Wow.

... There are major reasons why (in most cases) applications rarely stay the same visually and feature-wise. From my experience, Team Studio Tax only believe in changing things under the hood.
And the most common reason is to be touting new features that only a few use while neglecting all sorts of other efficiencies. It's not like change is only tied to improvements.

... With their fanbase, they will continue and never modernize. Just maybe...by charging a fee now, this might give them an incentive to modernize their interface because obviously, their donation metric wasn't working.
Their fan base not wanting changes and people wanting to avoid changes is going to mean the change on fees triggers more change?

Doesn't seem logical IMO but whatever.

Cheers

·
Registered
653 Posts
Seems you have had a long free run with Studio Tax if you have used it since 2004.

All of your posts CMF so far have been about Studio Tax. May be time to move on and take part in some of the other CMF discussions?

And, let us know which free tax program you choose and how you like it.
I'm beginning to think Noob888 works for a competitor, and just here to diss StudioTax.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I worked for a while on a contract for the Netherlands tax office. They did a offline tax program based on Adobe PDF forms that was astonishingly sophisticated. Maybe not up to full Studio/Win/Turbo/Can-tax, but able to do the simplified taxes with "standard" deductions. The tax system in the Netherlands is, I think, simpler than here, with virtually everything taxed at source.

Around that time, the South African's had a government authored tax program written in Macromedia Flash.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Well don't pay for it then. Make your own spreadsheet if it's so easy.
I don't know why you want to give CRA a pass for such bad work. We pay them, they don't pay us. They should falling over themselves to make this easier. Its done in other parts of the world why are we stuck in the back waters????

·
Registered
18,986 Posts
I don't know why you want to give CRA a pass for such bad work. We pay them, they don't pay us. They should falling over themselves to make this easier. Its done in other parts of the world why are we stuck in the back waters????
There's definitely room for improvement. But after dealing with the IRS for the last 5 years, I can tell you that the CRA is miles ahead of the IRS. I've showed a couple American colleagues things I can do with the CRA portal that made their jaws drop.

It would be good, though, to have some default automatic tax return. Denmark and Sweden automatically prepare tax returns. If everything purely comes from tax slips, this is possible.

Do you admire Denmark and Sweden for their advanced government services, strong investment in their public service and well paid government employees? Maybe you would happily pay higher taxes to fund rock-solid government services, as they do in these wonderful countries.

I'll also assume you don't plan to vote Conservative any time soon, since this party is committed to aggressively cutting back government services, new programs, and staff.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Around that time, the South African's had a government authored tax program written in Macromedia Flash.
That likely wasn't a smart move!

Adobe Flash is a discontinued multimedia software platform used for production of animations, Rich web applications, desktop applications, mobile apps, mobile games, and embedded web browser video players. Flash displays text, vector graphics, and raster graphics to provide animations, video games, and applications.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
It would be good, though, to have some default automatic tax return. Denmark and Sweden automatically prepare tax returns. If everything purely comes from tax slips, this is possible.
I know that some software has autofill by downloading the information from CRA. For most people that will probably satisfy 90% of their needs. In some cases, 100% if all they have is a T4. Things like capital gains and losses need to be done manually since it's personal record-keeping, unless we're talking about reporting from mutual funds or ETFs. There's always going to be some sort of outlier situation. Personally, I don't think that the tax returns are particularly onerous, the only way to really make it easier is simplifying taxes (and I don't mean flat taxes as that's a red herring), but watch for what you wish for. For example, the easiest way would be to count all income the same (dividends, capital gains, work income, etc), so you just add that all up and base your tax calculation on that. But I'm going to bet no one here is going to go for that sort of change.

·
Registered
183 Posts
There's definitely room for improvement. But after dealing with the IRS for the last 5 years, I can tell you that the CRA is miles ahead of the IRS. I've showed a couple American colleagues things I can do with the CRA portal that made their jaws drop.

Do you admire Denmark and Sweden for their advanced government services, strong investment in their public service and well paid government employees? Maybe you would happily pay higher taxes to fund rock-solid government services, as they do in these wonderful countries.

I'll also assume you don't plan to vote Conservative any time soon, since this party is committed to aggressively cutting back government services, new programs, and staff.
Necessity is the mother of invention. I think the government needs a hair cut. It would improve the service.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts